The Race(ism)/Hate Thread

Started by ice grillin you, May 17, 2006, 08:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: hunt on April 29, 2015, 08:28:09 AM
so "thug" is equivalent to calling someone the "n word"

definitely is code....depending on who is saying it....if its a white person commenting on riots with black people you can be pretty sure its the n word they normally would say or would like to say

put it this way.....i never hear the word thug when west virginia or kentucky students or canucks are burning and smashing shtein up when their sports teams win/lose a big game
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

I think when the Mayor was the first to offer that term, "it's being taken out of context". 

Personally, i don't see the need for PC in this situation.  You are setting fire to structures, looting for tampons, you don't deserve to be called anything other than a lawbreaker.  The entire "Thug" conversation is pointless imo and just a weak attempt to shift the conversation back to the original reason this was a national story. 

Anyone see the activist get snatched up on CNN last night?  http://mashable.com/2015/04/29/baltimore-joseph-kent/

Thoughts on his removal?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Zanshin

I don't use "thug" for anything, but when I think of it, the connotation is more about someone who bullies or hurts other people. Not a color thing, or even about breaking or burning things. I think of it more in terms of mob thugs.

hunt

to me, "thug" describes the behavior, not the color of the people committing the acts....but if it's being interpreted otherwise, maybe barry shouldn't be throwing out the "t word".
but yeah...it's turned into something for the media to talk about.  that's what they do...sensationalize.

they should be talking more about the real issues....like the girl who was speaking out that the school books she's using were printed in the 1970's.  that ish is crazy.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

ice grillin you

SRB used it first and yes both her and barry should know better....SRB got scolded hard by the black clergy in baltimore for using it...we know the context they are using it in so its not a huge deal with them...but when they use it it just emboldens the MA whites around the country to say see i told you so...them thugs (stillupfronts) are out of control and should all be exterminated

again when white people start getting called thugs all the time by these same people who wanna go at black poeople so hard with the word then we are all good...but i dont hear that from MA

Rome

Quote from: hunt on April 29, 2015, 08:28:09 AM
so "thug" is equivalent to calling someone the "n word"...that's what i'm hearing from some folks.  how do a group of white, overly sensitive hippies feel about that???

A thug is a worthless piece of shtein with no sense of decency or empathy.   Race means zero unless you're bound and determined to make everything about it.

Seabiscuit36

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/04/thug/391682/
How many mafiosi were called thugs?  This whole thing just detracts from the real issues at hand within the community.  On WBAL Monday there were some great interviews with young kids within the neighborhoods who explained that the cuts to the schools, the after school programs are one everyones minds.  Still amazes me how the Wire already covered this 10 years ago. 

Also, O'malley came home yesterday from a speaking engagement in Europe.  Fenton reported he might have been in the crowd less than 5 minutes before he was getting yelled at for causing the cuts. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

The origin of the word is actually Indian.  It was used to describe professional criminals who strangled their victims.  It's been used subsequently to describe any vicious criminal or group of criminals.  Take Nazi brownshirts, for example.  Can't get any whiter than those motherfargers.  Thugs, one and all.

rjs246

The origin of your stupid face is Indian.

Boom.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Munson

Trying to pretend that thugs doesn't have a racial connotation to it in the way its uses these days because it,at one point in time, didn't, is silly. Its really not that hard to see who's using the word 'thug' these days and when. As IGY said, you didnt hear 'thug' to describe the Kentucky rioters...hell, you didn't even hear 'rioters', you heard fans, teens, students, etc.

shtein, you didn't even hear 'thug' when the Occupy Wall Street protests got out of hand towards the end. I think it may have got thrown around once or twice on fox, but that's nothing compared to the very liberal use of it whenever black people are protesting.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Zanshin

By protesting, do you mean rioting? Because I've never heard it used for peaceful protesters of any color ever.

smeags

wait, did occupy wall street lemmings riot and burn down businesses ? cause if they did i wouldve called them thugs.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: Zanshin on April 29, 2015, 11:48:06 AM
By protesting, do you mean rioting? Because I've never heard it used for peaceful protesters of any color ever.

youve never heard heard it period when talking about white people...it goes beyond rioting....the word is used consistently when talking about crimes committed by blacks....when black people do heinous things the perpetrator is the one cited as being agregious ("hes an animal or a thug") whereas when white people committ crimes its the act that is more often cited ("man what a horrible tragedy")

Zanshin

That's not true at all. There was a time when it was mostly used on white people, mostly muscle for organized crime.