The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munson

A lot of haze from the smoke here yesterday and today. On the east coast.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 15, 2020, 01:33:44 PM
Well Dr Cheeto Dick said science is wrong. Just nuke them.

Quote from: Rome on September 15, 2020, 12:46:49 PM
Sally is horrendous because of the deluge that's coming.  If only someone could figure out a way to harness that moisture and dump it on the west. 

Nuke Texas, make Gulf of Mexico 2. Problem solved.

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Here in Oregon we basically have two seasons. 'Never rains' and 'never stops raining'. The switchover usually happens around Halloween.

We had a wind event on Labor Day that very rarely occurs outside of the wet months. 65 mph gusts during the driest, warmest period of the summer. That's why these fires were able to get so huge here. Without the wind they can be contained. With wind, the fire is burning down homes before people realize there is a fire in their area. Flames can travel 50 miles in one night.

I'm a believer in climate change but I have a tough time thinking that the indirect human impact on the forest from a few degrees of average temperature change is a bigger factor in wildfires than the very direct impacts of human-caused fires, massive land use changes, and active forest management. People have radically changed the forest, just like everywhere else we go, and that would be true even without climate change.

The fires are going to happen -- large fires have been a part of the forest cycle as long as the forests have existed, and the more you fight fires, the more kindling you leave behind for future ones. It's not a problem that can ever really be solved since the "right thing to do" from an environmental perspective -- just let 'em burn -- is totally unacceptable for forest communities and timber companies. It's like letting a populated river plain flood or letting a beach community erode away. I don't envy the people who manage these lands... they have an impossible task, and everything they do is bound to piss off a lot of people.

Munson

The fires themselves aren't really climate changes fault, it's more that the extreme weather caused by climate change makes them more likely or worse, ie dryer dry seasons, longer droughts, changes in weather patterns, etc
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Sure. I just think that when you have hundreds of thousands people playing and working in the forest: driving through it, converting it into farmland, harvesting it, replanting it, treating it with chemicals, stomping through it, setting fires in it, and firefighting in it, that's gotta change the fire risk profile a lot more than extending the dry season a few days will.

You can see how glaciers change due to the climate because a slightly shorter period of ice accumulation adds up tremendously over decades. But if hundreds of people were out there pointing spaceheaters at the edge of the glacier every day, or putting a tarp over it so snow can't fall on it, I'm not sure the gradual climate change story should be the main focus when talking about glaciers.

PhillyPhreak54

A lot of our plywood comes from Oregon (manufactured by Timber Products in Medford) and the PNW. I was talking to my guy there yesterday and unfortunately seven of their mill employees have lost their homes.

Diomedes

Tents you mean.  Surely they don't pay their employees enough to have homes? 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Holy shtein.  Central America is going under.

Geowhizzer

This damn storm would fit right in with Florida drivers.  Can't decide where it wants to go.

PhillyPhreak54

We are about to catch some of the coldest temps here in the last 50 years or something.

And ice is accompanying it.

City is going to be shut down for awhile.

MDS

it got under 32 for one day when i was in the rgv...they canceled school and shut everything down

go texas
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Yep.

This time it's going to be in the single digits. shtein ain't built for that here...the people, roads or houses.

MDS

looks like a 1 day thing then itll be back in the 50s

hopefully greg abbott's wheelchair skids on some ice and he dies
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Geowhizzer

88 on my drive home today.  And my A/C is broken.