War with Iran

Started by MURP, February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

The rest of the article....some of this stuff is pretty rich.  :-D

QuoteThe only way to prevent a war with Iran is to elect a Democratically controlled Congress in November, said Ritter, a lifelong Republican. He later said he wasn't worried his advice would be seen as partisan because, "It's a partisan issue." He said the problem is oneparty government and if Democrats controlled the presidency and Congress, he would advise people to elect Republicans.

Most of Ritter's hour-long speech focused on Iraqi weapons programs from shortly before the Persian Gulf War in 1991 to 2003, when the U.S. invaded Iraq. He also discussed the weapons-inspections process during that time.

Ritter was in charge of U.N. weapons inspections until he resigned in 1998. Before the Iraq invasion, Ritter said, he told Congress that inspections needed to continue.

He also said he was a Marine in the Persian Gulf War and was part of an assassination attempt on Saddam Hussein in the early 1990s. :sly

Throughout the 1990s, Ritter said, America's real policy for Iraq was regime change -- not forcing Iraq to disarm and destroy chemical-, biological- and nuclear-weapons programs. The U.S. insisted on regime change, he said, because it believes transforming the Middle East countries into democracies will help ensure American access to oil.

The policy, he said, was borne from a political problem, not a threat to national security.

Ritter said the CIA knew Iraq had no ballistic, nuclear, chemical and biological weapons by 1995. "We knew there were no WMDs in Iraq," he said.

Ritter blamed Americans' apathy for allowing Bush to claim there was an intelligence failure. Presidents can lie to the public too easily about national security issues because Americans aren't paying attention, he said.

"It's a damn shame there's so many more people interested in the Seattle Seahawks and the Pittsburgh Steelers," he said in reference to the two teams that played in Sunday's Super Bowl.

After his speech, Ritter took questions from the audience. The first questioner wondered whether the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were faked. Ritter, a fiery speaker, seemed irritated by the question and said the attacks were real.

Someone else asked if he was interested in running for Congress. While the question drew applause, Ritter responded, "I hate politics."

Ritter, 44, was promoting his book Iraq Confidential: The Untold Story of the Intelligence Conspiracy to Undermine the UN and Overthrow Saddam Hussein. The speech was sponsored by Peace Action New Mexico.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Rome

Iran has treaties with countries we should be concerned about.

Trust me, if we nuke Iran, Washington, Bejing & Moscow won't be far behind in the incineration department.

Personally, I'm glad that I live within 150 miles of four primary military targets.  At least my suffering won't last long.

Phanatic

Don't worry!! We have this really cool billion dollar missile defense system that doesn't really work!!
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

MadMarchHare

I overheard something on NPR this morning.  They were talking to a weapons expert (sorry can't remember his name).  He said that absolutely Iran had weapons manufacture on their agenda.  The evidence?  They were trying to make uranium metal which could be molded.  He claims a) you would never need to do this for nuclear energy, metal rods of uranium aren't used in reactors, and b) they admitted to this to the UN inspectors.

Dropping a nuke on Iran is clearly unacceptable, and unlikely.  Sounds like a lot of rhetoric.  The rest of his statements seem reasonable though.  I just have no idea where Bush thinks he can find the troops to invade Iran.  We're stretched pretty thin now.
Anyone but Reid.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 08, 2006, 03:00:11 PM
I overheard something on NPR this morning.  They were talking to a weapons expert (sorry can't remember his name).  He said that absolutely Iran had weapons manufacture on their agenda.  The evidence?  They were trying to make uranium metal which could be molded.  He claims a) you would never need to do this for nuclear energy, metal rods of uranium aren't used in reactors, and b) they admitted to this to the UN inspectors.

Dropping a nuke on Iran is clearly unacceptable, and unlikely.  Sounds like a lot of rhetoric.  The rest of his statements seem reasonable though.  I just have no idea where Bush thinks he can find the troops to invade Iran.  We're stretched pretty thin now.

Iraq. Not saying it is a good idea to do, but if it happens, which I think it is doubtful it'll be soon. They will pull the troops out of Iraq, just as they did in Afghanistan when they were gearing up for the Iraq invasion. There has always been speculation Bush and Co. would like to use Iraq as a jumping off point.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on February 08, 2006, 01:21:06 PM
Quote from: MURP on February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PMThen, Ritter said, the United States will drop a nuclear bomb on Iran.

If the U.S. drops a nuclear bomb on Iran or anyone else, I'll lose my farging mind.

We have too many interests in Iran to nuke em.

[Hindsight] Sure am glad I don't have to deal with this shtein anymore  8)

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: SD_Eagle on February 08, 2006, 03:12:23 PM
Quote from: Diomedes on February 08, 2006, 01:21:06 PM
Quote from: MURP on February 08, 2006, 12:54:42 PMThen, Ritter said, the United States will drop a nuclear bomb on Iran.

If the U.S. drops a nuclear bomb on Iran or anyone else, I'll lose my farging mind.

We have too many interests in Iran to nuke em.

[Hindsight] Sure am glad I don't have to deal with this shtein anymore  8)

[IGY]No ish. Werd. [/IGY]

Rome

I just have no idea where Bush thinks he can find the troops to invade Iran.  We're stretched pretty thin now.

If you're between the ages of 18-35, you might wanna make sure your selective service information is up to date.

You can bet your ass that a draft of some sort is coming.  And it's coming fast, kids.

Rome

Quote from: SD_Eagle on February 08, 2006, 03:12:23 PM

Sure am glad I don't have to deal with this shtein anymore  8)

See above.

:-D

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on February 08, 2006, 03:17:15 PM
I just have no idea where Bush thinks he can find the troops to invade Iran.  We're stretched pretty thin now.

If you're between the ages of 18-35, you might wanna make sure your selective service information is up to date.

You can bet your ass that a draft of some sort is coming.  And it's coming fast, kids.

You're delusional if you think they'll ever impose another draft. I'm telling you, it won't happen. Think of invading Iran from a strategic standpoint, we've already invaded and occuppied their neighboring country, so a foothold in the region has already been established. The U.S. has the capibility to take Iran down as fast as it did Iraq. Only reason Iraq fell so fast is because we obliterated them 10 years earlier.

hbionic

I wish it was possible to contain Chuck Norris just enough to some of his DNA to clone him...but knowing him...he'd smell the containment machines and kick their robotic asses. Either that or the DNA would roundhouse kick itself out of storage and back into Chuck Norris. All of this is real too.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MadMarchHare

Iraq is no Kuwait.  If we try to invade Iran through Iraq, we will be seriously farged.  You really think we can run supply lines from Baghdad?  We can barely protect the Green Zone.
Anyone but Reid.

Phanatic

Different kind of protection. In a one on one mano e mano military to military fight the US would win and win fast. There is the enemy shoot them now. No grey area. After that action is over.. maybe that lady has a bomb strapped to her taint.... maybe I can shoot her now.... enter the grey area.

Oh and if ya shoot her and your wrong the press runs with it and tells the world about the bad old military. 

Army Shoots Taint - Story at 11:00
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Diomedes

Quote from: Phanatic on February 08, 2006, 05:18:26 PM
Oh and if ya shoot her and your wrong the press runs with it and tells the world about the bad old military.

That pesky media, telling the world about soldiers killing civilians!  The nerve!!  Who said free speech was Good, anyway?  Lynch that guy!
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: MadMarchHare on February 08, 2006, 04:42:09 PM
Iraq is no Kuwait.  If we try to invade Iran through Iraq, we will be seriously farged.  You really think we can run supply lines from Baghdad?  We can barely protect the Green Zone.

Yes, I do. You're underestimating Haliburton's resources.