World (Vegas) Travel Thread

Started by hbionic, July 25, 2005, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Tried to fly home today from Portland, Maine from visiting the in-laws for the holidays.  However, the flight to our connector (Philly) was canceled due to mechanical issues.  So we're watching the Bowl games from our comped room in the Portland Hilton and flying out on the redeye tomorrow morning.

Could be worse, I guess...

SD

Which airline? I didn't know they comped rooms anymore.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: AO1 on January 01, 2020, 04:14:57 PM
Which airline? I didn't know they comped rooms anymore.

American.

SD

Frontier/Spirit they cancel your flight tell you you're sol offer no room and put you on standby

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah that's because the ULCCs (ultra low cost carriers) don't have agreements with the legacies to get you on other flights if you're canceled.

So if I'm on United and they can't reroute me on another United Flight they'll put me on American or Delta or someone they have agreements with. 

Geowhizzer

Because of the lighter holiday schedule, there was no way to get us to a connecting flight to get to Fort Myers today.  So American took care of us pretty well, all things considered.

I have to get up at 3 am, but if that means I'll eat lunch at home, I can live with that.

SD

Go to Disney often, just got back. Weather ranged from the 30's - 50's the first few days, daughter was sick the last 3. Anyway, the new Star Wars ride Rise of the Resistance is open. You and your entire party have to be at Disney Hollywood Studios by 7 am which is what time you can join a boarding party. Got to the park at 5:45 am at which point we were already in a huge crowd about 30 deep, it was 35 degrees and windy. By 6 am the line was so far back I couldn't tell how far. At 7 am I reserved boarding party 50, by 7:03 am there were no more available boarding parties. The process is insane. The ride was down a large part of the day so we didn't get to board until 4:30. The ride itself is groundbreaking and amazing. It puts you right in the middle of a Star Wars movie. Can't believe I'd say this but the experience was worth the headache.

Anyone travel to Italy? Our Disney season passes end May 2nd and I was thinking of taking the daughter to see the motherland. Probably go to Rome.

Diomedes

Africa is the motherland.  Itally is the 3rd cousinland.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hunt

been planning a trip to vietnam for this july....and then this coronavirus hits asia.  >:(
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

Rome

Wifey went to Rome, Naples and Florence.  They skipped Venice.  She said it was nice but been there, done that.  No reason to go back. 

Rome

I'm not looking back thru this mess but I wanted some recommendations for places to stay in Las Vegas.  I *may* be going there in July (yeah, it's hot, so is this shteinhole, so farg off).

Thx.

PhillyPhreak54

1. Palazzo
2. Venetian
3. Cosmo
4. Wynn

I like and have stayed at all of them. And they're very close in rankings. At Cosmo you'll get a room with a balcony and can ask for it to face the Bellagio fountains.

The V/P rooms are big and advertised as suites but they just have a sunken living room.

MDS

london-amsterdam-rome, all set for a trip in august

besides getting my bird sucked by some dutch whore, any suggestions on places to hit/avoid
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

That will be fun. I've always wanted to do a train trip around Europe. London, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam and Rome.

My best friend is is Rome now. And caught covid.

Diomedes

I dunno...that sounds like a grueling run.  I'd much rather just plop down in any one of those places for the entire duration, hit the same pub four or five times, spend enough time in one place to get a feel for it before jaunting off to the next spot.  It's just too much running around for my taste.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger