World (Vegas) Travel Thread

Started by hbionic, July 25, 2005, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Did a district-sponsored trip to Philly and D.C. last week.  Did a training at the National Constitution Center in Philly, Ford's Theatre, the Holocaust Museum, American History Museum and the Newseum in D.C.  Also got to tour Independence Hall, the White House, the Capitol and the Supreme Court.  Of course we did the monuments as well.

Walked everywhere.  One of the teachers had a pedometer on her and we walked about 50 miles during the course of the week.   

Hella nice trip.  The only disappointment was that I didn't get a chance to meet IGY.

Munson

I love DC....strangely enough I haven't done the historical district in Philly too in depth yet.

Has anyone here ever gone to and stayed in Gettysburg? I've only ever been on a school trip. I know there's a ton of haunted hotels and inns and such but I've had plenty of experiences with that shtein...probably won't get an ounce of sleep. Any good recommendations? The one place keeps popping up in my searches but i was hoping to find something closer to the battlefield sites.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

Quote from: Geowhizzer on June 13, 2012, 10:20:40 PM
Did a district-sponsored trip to Philly and D.C. last week.  Did a training at the National Constitution Center in Philly, Ford's Theatre, the Holocaust Museum, American History Museum and the Newseum in D.C.  Also got to tour Independence Hall, the White House, the Capitol and the Supreme Court.  Of course we did the monuments as well.   

the newseum is the best museum in the country imo....just phenominal
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Zanshin

We're taking my 8 year old to DC for a few days in a couple of weeks. We're going to hit the highlights, of course, but as far as priority goes what do the DC experts recommend as a must-see for kids?

ice grillin you

the zoo is a 100% must

air and space

natural history

theres a tour service in town called "old town trolley"....ive never done it but ive heard good things about it...basically drive you all around town and show you the sights...even if your kid isnt interested in every sight it gets him/her off their feet and it will give a cursory look at everything without having to actually do them all

spy museum is pretty cool as well but im not sure if 8 is too young for it....and its not cheap
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

IGY nailed it. Zoo, Air and Space and Natural History. I would add that walking the National Mall is great too. Vietnam, Korea and WWII memorials, along with Lincoln Memorial, reflecting pool, Washington Monument and a view of the WH, The Capital and the Jefferson Memorial.

Newseum is awesome, but might not appeal to an 8 year old. I've heard great things about the spy museum, but have never been.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Zanshin

Thanks...we're staying near the National Mall, and planning to do the trolley thing, so I'll add the others to the list.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on June 13, 2012, 10:14:15 PM
Houston sucks.  farging awful place.

In New Mexico, they say it's windy because Texas sucks and Arizona blows. I realized it doesn't take much to get a chuckle out of me.

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

phattymatty

going to playa del carmen for a week. may not come back.

Rome

Playa means beach in Mexican.

hbionic

Quote from: phattymatty on June 15, 2012, 10:00:07 AM
going to playa del carmen for a week. may not come back.

nice...head down to Tulum and swim inside the Cenotes
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MDS

I'm in cooperstown and holy shtein are there a lot of white people.

No wonder havas loves ny state
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: DH on June 11, 2012, 04:32:43 PM
Booked a week at the Riu in Montego Bay. Mock away.

I miss this post. I really like the Riu chain. I prefer an adults only type of place, just to keep the screaming brats away. If it isn't infested with ankle biters, you should have a great time. Let me know how the location is when you get back. I've stayed in Mobay, and it's nice and convenient.

Zanshin

Back from the DC trip. Thanks for the tips. It's the first time I've spent any sort of time in DC in probably 20 years...and it's a good bit cleaner and nicer than I remember it being then. Managed to squeeze a good bit into a couple of days (Trolley tour, Air and Space, Natural History, Spy museum, White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington monument, Vietnam vets, Arlington cemetery, Mount Vernon, Ford's Theater, National Geographic museum, etc.)

Stayed at the Mayflower, which was really nice...in case anyone is looking for a place to stay. We were out of the room the vast majority of the time, but it was comfortable and accommodating when we were there.