2009 76ers Offseason Thread

Started by reese125, May 28, 2009, 10:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reese125

got a lot of mocks having the Sixers taking Eric Maynor from VCU, with some having them selecting Ty Lawson

I like Maynors game because no matter the crap conference he was in, he did great against his opposing big conference PG's--which is a very positive sign for the NBA....not to mention he is a true pg.

although these mocks dont mean jack shtein until after the workouts anyway, its probably making more sense for this squad to take a PG to groom before shooting guard in this draft because there are no standouts-- especially at the 19 position...or unless a trade is made with Miller for another current PG which is highly unlikely.

BigEd76

Jordan had a 2nd interview, they're cooling on Thibodeau, and Avery Johnson says he's not interested in the job

reese125

Unless this 2nd interview is a smokescreen of sorts, its looking like Jordan will be selected just from his ties with Ed from the Nets. Not to mention he has playoff experience--which Im sure Stefanski is most interested in

The only wrinkle is, Jordan basically had 3 all-stars on his squad then..and last time I checked the Sixers roster I didnt see anyone really that resembled a Gilbert, Caron or Antwan (except for Iggy)...so I wish him luck..or even better I wish Ed Stefanski some luck

ice grillin you

Quote from: reese125 on May 28, 2009, 10:05:57 AM
I like Maynors game because no matter the crap conference he was in, he did great against his opposing big conference PG's--which is a very positive sign for the NBA....not to mention he is a true pg.

you do know players used to come right out of high school?

Quote from: reese125 on May 28, 2009, 10:05:57 AM
its probably making more sense for this squad to take a PG to groom before shooting guard

"probably"?.....they "probably" should have taken a pg three years ago in the draft because they knew miller wasnt going to be here and even if he was hes be just about done

ive seen maynor play a decent amount as i get a number of vcu games down here...he just ok...id be fine with him if theres nothing better on the board the time but hes definitely not good enough to take over a shooter whos a better prospect just because hes a pg...hes a very good passer but my main concern with him is i dont know that he has the explosiveness to consistently break down and get by people in the nba
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

reese125

well at 17, which is such a zesty pick for a sixers squad that needs perimeter help in the worst way, he might be good enough to take over your average ncaa spot shooter because of his upside

ice grillin you

see i think his biggest negative is that he has no upside...hes a four year guy who didnt dominate small conference ball...if he had upside he would have went league long ago

reese125

so youre saying that the only way you have upside is if you jet early for the nba? interesting

ice grillin you

pretty much

staying in college for four years = huge red flag to me

but more than that it means you have topped out...if you were talent ladened and had lots of room to grow before that you would have come out...i mean how many seniors are going in round one this year....two three?

however it doesnt mean you cant be a productive player in the nba...and in this draft thats probably all you can wish for at the sixers spot

id way rather have jonny flynn as he has upside for days

reese125

listen Im not touting dude, doing splits in the air hoping they get him...I just want a true pg with nice size. I like Maynors length and defense, and from what I seen and read hes consistent with his floater-which can be very effective

Im a Flynn fan as I think quickness goes a long way in the nba just getting by the first defender, but size is a problem as you also run into post up problems on defense and the ability to finish in the post unless youre money--and lets not kid ourselves the best smaller pgs in the nba at least alot have perimeter help to bail them out

Hell, theres a good chance Lawson and his ridiculous quickness could roll down to he Sixers, but again you run into the liability issue.

ice grillin you

im pretty much alone on this but i think lawsons quickness is way overrated and will be neutralized if not exposed in the league...however if im off and he can get by people like he did in college i think his lack of height is offset by his strength and he will be able to finish better than most small guards

PhillyPhreak54

Sorry to see Avery not interested...that sucks.

And so does Eddie Jordan.

reese125

His style of coaching is based on a perimeter game. All Avery had to do was take one look at the Sixers roster and say no thanks.

PhillyPhreak54

What's Eddie Jordan's MO? Doesn't he run some sort of Princeton offense?

reese125

yes sir...but as you saw with Gilbert running the point in Washington all bets were off of actually implementing that style of offense in full

with this squad, they might actually have the discipline to run it, but trouble finishing it. The good news is no way in hell that Dalembert could part of that system. one... he has no inside game for it, but I could only imagine how many times that idiot would be called for 3 seconds

ice grillin you

the sixers arent near disciplined enough to run a princeton offense

avery johnson is all pressure defense and pushing the ball...his offense doesnt depend on the perimeter other than having a point that can push hard on offense and pressure the farg out of the ball on defense

i question whether avery johnson even wants to coach with all the jobs hes turned down...either that or hes waiting for his absolutely perfect job