Yankees Offseason Thread

Started by hunt, October 12, 2005, 09:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigEd76

SD_Eagle5

Bowa to the Yanks?

QuoteYankees contact former Phillies manager BowaESPN.com news services

ESPN baseball analyst Larry Bowa was contacted Thursday by GM Brian Cashman and manager Joe Torre about the possibility of Bowa joining the Yankees staff as one of the team coaches next season.

Bowa
"I haven't made any decisions yet," Bowa told ESPN.

Bowa, who is in his first season as a Baseball Tonight analyst, previously served as the manager of the Padres (1987-88) and Phillies (2001-04). Bowa was fired by the Phillies on the final weekend of the 2004 season after leading the team to a 337-308 record. Known for a fiery personality, he was 81-127 in 1½ seasons with San Diego.

He has also served as a third base coach for the Phillies, Angels, and Mariners in his career.

New York has two coaching openings following the departures of bench coach Joe Girardi and pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre.

Bowa is scheduled to work for ESPN at the World Series in Houston starting Monday.

Rome

Bowa would be fricken crazy to take that job.

He's got ideal an gig at ESPN and he's awesome on the Baseball This AM show on XM Radio.  Why in God's name would he give those up to work at the Bronx Zoo?

:P

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 20, 2005, 10:21:40 PM
Bowa would be fricken crazy to take that job.

He's got ideal an gig at ESPN and he's awesome on the Baseball This AM show on XM Radio.  Why in God's name would he give those up to work at the Bronx Zoo?

:P

For one, if he ever wanted a coaching job again, being an assistant with the Yanks would be a good first step. Also, with their enormous annual payroll, the chance at being part of a World Series team is enticing. Aside from that, I have no idea why he'd want to coach  ;D

PoopyfaceMcGee

Some guys just prefer to be in the game.

hunt

the yankees need some emotion...bowa would be a nice fit, imo.
plus, with girardi taking the marlins job & zimmer long gone, they need somebody to sit next to torre & hand him tissues while he's picking his nose.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

PhillyPhreak54

:-D

Joe Torre is a chronic nose digger. And he's got a huge nose with easy access to the gold too.

I swear...every time they show him he's diggin.

hunt

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on October 21, 2005, 08:33:29 AM
:-D

Joe Torre is a chronic nose digger. And he's got a huge nose with easy access to the gold too.

I swear...every time they show him he's diggin.

that he is....and he's usually elbow deep. :-D

hunt

the latest rumors have cash-man being re-signed and bowa signing on as 3rd base coach.

PhillyPhreak54

Good news.

I don't want Cashman. I want Hunsicker.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Tony Pena is the new 1st base coach, Ron Guidry is the new pitching coach.

We know they'll be winners with Bowa at 3rd and Kerrigan in the bullpen, though.

hunt

guidry was the man. :yay..kerrigan is there because he's an experienced pitching coach & guidry isn't.
and the bowa signing is great.

Rome

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: mhunt on November 04, 2005, 10:40:38 PM
guidry was the man. :yay..kerrigan is there because he's an experienced pitching coach & guidry isn't.

Then, why isn't Kerrigan the pitching coach and Guidry the bullpen coach?

hunt

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 05, 2005, 07:49:50 AM
Quote from: mhunt on November 04, 2005, 10:40:38 PM

Then, why isn't Kerrigan the pitching coach and Guidry the bullpen coach?

cuz guidry is the man. :yay
it's just like a "new" nba head coach hiring an experienced former head coach as one of his assistants...gives the newbie somebody experienced to bounce his ideas off of...happens all the time.
i'm just glad they have some coaches with some life...mazilli, bowa, even pena should help this team play with some emotion for a change.