Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

its really not...if it was appalling we wouldn't have a country....for a country of 350 million people our government is incredibly efficient...no chance it can be perfect with how big we are but its pretty damn impressive

and again if you think line items in a budget are literally going to have the money stolen from them and put into peoples pockets then you should want the government literally torn up and started over and nothing should be passed....you cant say the govt is crooked then say you are pro taxes and like roads....because that money isn't going to go to roads its going into someones pocket right?...its APPALLING!!...like the tea party wants...just blow the whole motherfarger up
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

Rome

Or we could simply have better oversight and inject some common sense restraint when allocating tax dollars.

smeags

that takes work. it's much easier to just keep charging more taxes. so jay can have better roads to drive his f-450 on.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 10, 2016, 09:20:35 AM
Or we could simply have better oversight and inject some common sense restraint when allocating tax dollars.

see this is the key...people love to scream the govt sucks when the money is going towards something they don't like - pre k for example - and then scream how the money will just be stolen

but the govt is good when they are getting something they like and for sure the money will end up in the right place this time

basically humans are selfish pieces of shtein

smeags

Rome

I'm pretty sure I never complained about government spending our money wisely.  Lying about where it's going and who it's hitting the hardest is flat-out bad governance.  Period. The end.

ice grillin you

wisely = where you want it to go and collected how you want it collected

as it is for everyone

my point is saying that the government is in a shambles just because the money is supposed to go to someplace you don't agree with or is collected under a guise you don't believe in is disengenious...like why is the money from a soda tax going to be stolen but money from another tax is going to be spent wisely...you can hate the soda tax or you can hate pre k but you cant say the govt is horrible with money just because you don't like the tax and where the money is going

smeags

The wheels on the bus go round and round round and round round and round

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: smeags on June 10, 2016, 09:23:56 AM
that takes work. it's much easier to just keep charging more taxes. so jay can have better roads to drive his f-450 on.

lol I am not Jon Lieber with that F750 or whatever he had. I just have a 150, thanks.

ice grillin you

its official....holla kenney!!

http://www.phillyvoice.com/city-council-votes-soda-tax/

QuoteWith Thursday's vote to approve the tax at a lower rate, the city will still generate the funds needed for Kenney's proposed universal pre-K and community schools plans, as well as funding to revitalize the city's civic spaces – like the deteriorating city's parks, recreation centers and libraries – as well as other concerns like body cameras for the city's police officers, the city's pension program and the fund balance.

In recent weeks, Philadelphia's Director of Finance Rob Dubow said the lowest the rate could go and the city still be able to afford these initiatives would be a rate of two-and-a-half-cents-per-ounce.

That's because, along with the proposed $26 million for a new pre-K program, $6 million for a community schools, $550,000 for police body cameras, and $26 million into the city's pension fund in the budget, the city would need to secure $300 million in bonds for civic space improvements.

Without enough coming in to begin paying back those bonds, Dubow has said the city couldn't secure them, meaning Kenney's initiatives could not get the needed funding.

But, by adding diet soda to the tax, the city can generate enough to afford these initiatives.

Kenny said that he expects to sign the sugar-sweetened drinks tax bill on Monday. It would then go into effect in January of next year.

ice grillin you

soda tax made national news...lester holt just teased it at the top of nbc nightly news

PhillyPhreak54

Hopefully with them being the second to enact one it'll continue to catch on

Had a good argument with the people at work about it bc I am in favor of it

MDS

i love kenney

this is what happens when nobody votes. you can sneak in candidates that would otherwise never win. most of the time its a flat earth republican who thinks babys should have ar-15s, but sometimes a big city can elect a progressive like this.

democracy!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.