Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Looking for a little help from the locals:  does Philly have a museum of industry, or a builder's museum, or something of the sort?  I've recently come into possession of some old tools that belonged to George Ross, a builder in Philly in the late 19th century.  I've got a carpenter's level and a saw, also a nail set that might possibly have been his, and some clamps.  If there is such a place, and they are interested in these items, I'll donate them.  If not, they go on the wall in my shop. 

The man's great grandaughter, who is now an old woman, gave me the stuff, and also a photocopy of a sales pamphlet that Ross had printed up some time in his career.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

press the google button you hipster
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Just admit you don't know.

SD

Quote from: Diomedes on April 20, 2016, 08:38:40 PM
Looking for a little help from the locals:  does Philly have a museum of industry, or a builder's museum, or something of the sort? 

Don't know how familiar you are with the area, but Doylestown is roughly 30 minutes outside of Philly. The Mercer Museum displays similar items.

https://www.mercermuseum.org/

MDS

Quote from: Geowhizzer on April 20, 2016, 09:01:19 PM

im not up on the philly museum scene. you got me.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

hbionic

Quote from: MDS on April 20, 2016, 08:42:54 PM
press the google button you hipster

:-D :-D :-D

I'm like Dio, I'd ask you knuckleheads before looking it up.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on April 20, 2016, 09:17:42 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on April 20, 2016, 09:01:19 PM

im not up on the philly museum scene. you got me.

not just the museum scene but the industry museum scene
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

I did google, and found nothing on a quick search.  What I'm looking for is the kind of thing that might not be more than one floor in a historic house down a back alley, for all I know.  Google doesn't replace local knowledge.

For example, I didn't come across the Mercer Museum, which might be what I'm looking for.  Thanks SD for that.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Susquehanna Birder

Yeah, the Mercer is a cool place for all kinds of stuff like that.

Yeti

The Mercer Museum is literally right down the street from me.  If you post a pic I can show them to see if they are interested.
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

smeags

Eastbound turnpike closed at willow grove. Yay me !
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Yeti on April 21, 2016, 09:04:44 PM
The Mercer Museum is literally right down the street from me.  If you post a pic I can show them to see if they are interested.

We're not talking about that kind of tool, weirdo. 

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

ice grillin you