Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

im on a kick and now that tv is largely unwatchable, its gonna keep going

good time - first real movie from the safdie brothers. every bit as good as uncut gems with a killer robert pattison performance. its on amazon and its 2 hours of high intensity madness. pattison and his retarded brother rob a bank and off it goes. these two jews are on a different level. go watch it. 5/5

heaven knows what - earlier safdie movie where they are learning on the fly how to make a film. these guys are going to be huge so im watching everything. theres not much here to talk about it. its fine. but you can see the kindling. 2.5/5

atlantiques - highly regarded senegalese movie about spirits of lost men at sea possessing people in a coastal town. well directed but they had a great movie here and instead went into crazy town sci fi nerd land and just no. 1/5

honey boy - if you liked the tree of life you will like this. shia leabouf is out of control but its more art than story. strong camera work from israeli vagina haver alma harrel who should get more looks but she wont because women arent allowed to direct. 2/5

frances ha - greta gerwig cant act but it stopped mattering like 30 minutes into the movie. she is so charming and likable and the script is so good it just didnt matter she had zero screen presence. the story is simple: girl in her 20s isnt growing up but everyone around her is. its that specific time in your life where everyone is going in different directions and they just nail the emotions. i still have a few of her earlier stuff to go back to and then theres 30 more years of her creating gems. what a time to be alive. 4/5

snowpiercer - director bong ! its a train going around the world with the only remaining humans after the world froze over. theres poor people in the back and rich people in the front and it goes from there. script is meh but bong directs the farg out of it and its immensely entertaining. 3.5/5

logan lucky - fun heist movie at the nascar race. sodebergh nailed oceans 11, hes on point here too. overall, this is a tick below oceans but im a sucker for these kinds of films. 3/5

under the skin - consensus top 10 film of the decade from film nerds. i need more plot and more story. again, more art project than movie. scarjo is a full on naked so theres that. but, as parasite showed, its possible to make a movie that says something while also being a thrill ride. 2/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Eagles_Legendz

I saw parasite and Ford v Ferrari over the last week.  I wondered how much Iacocca's estate had to pay for that depiction.

Parasite 9/10; FvF 7/10. 

MDS

waves - two movies in one. first half is an intense tale of a senior wrestler who has it all then very quickly doesnt. second is his sister finding herself. some great cinematography and unique aspect ratio adjustments, but narratively mediocre and 30 minutes too long. 2.5/5

a separation - remarkable iranian film from like 10 years ago. marriage falls apart and then their lives do. one of the best screenplays ive ever seen. its 2 hours of mostly people talking in persian but its farging incredible. mad i missed the boat on this one when it dropped. 5/5

the squid and the whale - perhaps noah baumbachs most known movie before marriage story. short and compact and kind of misogynistic? kevin kline's son spreads his jizz on lockers. then he quit acting. good script, though. 3/5

the guilty - out of all the ones havas mentioned this was the only one that sounded remotely appealing. id mostly agree. pretty riveting thriller. see this before the remake with jake gyllenhall happens. im not kidding thats a thing. on hulu. go. 4/5

a most violent year - slow to a fault crime epic with an uneven oscar isaac performance where he goes through 3 different accents per scene. felt empty but there were a few good chase sequences that saved it. 1.5/5

the tribe - ukranian movie from i think 2014 entirely in sign language with zero subtitles. its out there. its not an easy watch. itll mess you up. there a few scenes that are just horrifying to get through. you can knock some plot holes and cohesion issues, but its an experience to see it and one youll be thinking about. its on amazon. i recommend but understand you might be OUT and OUT quickly. 4.5/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Knives Out was really good. It helps that Ana de Armas is smoking hot so watching her for two hours was nice.

MDS

okja - pre-parasite director bong heavy handed liberal fantasy film about a giant pig and her korean friend thats anti capitalism and then morphs into a commentary on the meat industry. its fine and its good but buddy, im gonna eat meat. 3/5

driving miss daisy -

0/5

mother - very strange korean crime movie from director bong. a teenager with a learning disability is accused of murder and his not exactly all the way there mother tries to figure out what happened. cool twists but the main kid was too goofy dumb to the point where he was in an snl skit playing a stupid person and everyone else wasnt. 2/5

force majure - deeply uncomfortable sweedish movie about a crumbling marriage at a ski resort. remade recently in what is apparently a horrendous jld/will ferrell movie. if you like feeling like you want to cringe and die, see it. they really nail those emotions well. i do not enjoy this. 1.5/5

rachel getting married - too voyeuristic for its own good but there are some mega performances from anne hathaway, rosemary dewitt and bill irwin. there is an extended music sequence in the last qtr that ruins the movie. a recovering drug addict goes home for her sisters wedding and a bunch of white people drama ensues. these types of films always seem to be centered around upper class white people. the emotions are real. but ive seen this story. why must it always be some stuffy wasp from connecticut. 3/5

PhillyPhreak54

Uncut Gems was pretty good.

So damn fast paced and chaotic. The ending was not expected.

PhillyPhreak54

Green Book is really good. I finally got the chance to knock this one off the list.

Mahershala Ali is superb in just about everything he's in. And Viggo Mortenson was great too

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on March 21, 2020, 11:40:44 AM
Green Book is really good. I finally got the chance to knock this one off the list.

Mahershala Ali is superb in just about everything he's in. And Viggo Mortenson was great too

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyPhreak54

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood was alright. I was expecting more and I enjoyed it as it went on but I kept waiting for more and it just wasn't there.

MDS

SD

Bored to tears and Black Swan was on hbo. Surprised how much I liked it...really dark. Natalie Portman was great.

SD

It: Chapter two

Wasn't a fan of Chapter one, Chapter two was an improvement. Overall thought it was pretty solid.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 26, 2020, 10:15:23 PM
Knives Out was really good. It helps that Ana de Armas is smoking hot so watching her for two hours was nice.

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 29, 2019, 06:44:22 PM
this was an excellent movie but everyone should go see it for ana de armis' beauty...she is goat level gorgeous in it..its unfathomable to me how she is in her 30's
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

I thought The Way Back was good.   Affleck was better than normal.