Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 06, 2022, 03:45:54 PM
I watch to see America lose.  Then I dip.

Tuesdays your Super Bowl

SD

I love World Cup. Nothing like it. Can't wait for 2 USA USA USA USA 🇺🇸

Diomedes

I don't know a goddamn thing, but here are my takes:

Unfortunate result....the foul that gave Bale a penalty kick was unnecessary, a huge mistake

Ref didn't particularly help or hurt either side, but he was too preachy, and too free with the yellow cards, and he didn't have a consistent standard for stopping play for injury..it seemed to shift over the course of the game.  I was not a fan of his work.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

people complain about soccer refs all the time but its the sports fault...1 person having to watch 22 different things all going on at the same time at top speed is pure insanity. they need like 7 different officials on the field, like football.

us dominated the first half, wales won the second half. a deserved draw, but one that really hurts *our* chances to go through. they need a big win over iran now.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

I agree with Dio.

The ref was quick on the card. I don't know enough about the rules but that didn't seem like it was egregious enough for a PK. But wtf do I know?

I hate how those mofos act like they were shot, stabbed, thrown from a moving car and the car backed up and rolled over them again when they get breathed on.

QB Eagles

That was definitely worth a PK. Idiotic challenge by the American, directly cost USMNT two points because Bale was not about to score.

Also it's not like there is just one set of ref eyeballs looking for fouls. Both of the assistant refs on the sidelines can signal if they see a foul the match ref doesn't see, and there's a pile of VAR refs who can't stop play at any moment but who can intercede if they think something was amiss with a major call or non-call.

I think there are enough World Cup refs; they simply suck in every tournament. FIFA is a dumb, corrupt organization. Not sure how much quality you can expect out of refs that are probably selected based on where they are from and who they know. Reffing the World Cup is a decent payday. Today's match ref is from Qatar. I'm guessing he's not elite.

MDS

they do mix it up with where refs are from...anyone who has watched concacaf or caf knows that uhhhh the reffing from those bodies is not ideal

but even so its 22 players and 1 ref with 2 assistants. its not enough. basketball has the same amount of refs for half the players and a small ground to cover. football has about the right amount.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

So their only hope it to keep it close vs England and then blow the Iranians out?

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on November 21, 2022, 11:15:15 PM
So their only hope it to keep it close vs England and then blow the Iranians out?

I see people saying this, but after one set of games, you can't really know exactly what it's gonna take. They just gotta get better results out of the round robin than Iran and Wales, leave it at that.

Don Ho

Quote from: QB Eagles on November 21, 2022, 11:04:03 PM
That was definitely worth a PK. Idiotic challenge by the American, directly cost USMNT two points because Bale was not about to score.

Also it's not like there is just one set of ref eyeballs looking for fouls. Both of the assistant refs on the sidelines can signal if they see a foul the match ref doesn't see, and there's a pile of VAR refs who can't stop play at any moment but who can intercede if they think something was amiss with a major call or non-call.

I think there are enough World Cup refs; they simply suck in every tournament. FIFA is a dumb, corrupt organization. Not sure how much quality you can expect out of refs that are probably selected based on where they are from and who they know. Reffing the World Cup is a decent payday. Today's match ref is from Qatar. I'm guessing he's not elite.

Correct, It was a horrible foul and totally warrented a PK.  Zimmerman slide through him and clearly got Bale's leg and it was in the box so it was a no brainer. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Messi scores on a PK after VAR makes the call not the head official.  Not a fan of the VAR, slows the flow of the game down and gives the average joes more ammunition to call soccer boring. 

Dying to watch how Saudi's will defend against Argentina.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Holy shtein!  This game is electric!  Crowd is nuts and a great game.  Argentina should have been up 3-0 at half but down 2-1 at 60th minute.

PhillyPhreak54

Am I still asleep? Saudi Arabia is winning?

This would have to be one of the biggest upsets ever - they were +2200!

Don Ho

Did you see the saudi keeper almost kill his own player?  The dude went limp while in the air.  That was nasty.  He's still,down.

What a game!