Phillies

Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Ho

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 18, 2019, 06:09:15 PM
They won!

Headed up to Bradenton to see Clearwater play tonight.  Any future Phillies fargups I should check out take out with a crossbow?
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 18, 2019, 01:04:16 PM
the youtube picture is so damn good

It was awesome.  Enjoyed the broadcast. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Don Ho

So Hector calling out Doyers dugout after his save today.  Idiot.  Yes, farg the Doyers but Hector who the hell are you to call anyone out?  you let the dodgers right back in it after they cut it to a one run deficit on Verdugo's homerun.  Guess everyone is still pissed because Pollock stole second up 6-2 top 9th last night.  We beat Broxton's ass like a drum so I'm all good.

Rome

I worked.  Nice to see the Phillies' pitching staff bear down.   

MDS

nice to see bryce harper play at a high level, even if its just for a small period of time.

they should beat the shtein out of the these slop pitchers the pirates are throwing, but they wont.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

zach grienke is 35. 2.95 ERA and 0.95 WHIP. owed $35 mil in 20 and 21. can be had essentially for nothing but taking on the $.

yes or no.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

He's not fit for markets that care about sports.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: MDS on July 18, 2019, 10:14:11 PM
zach grienke is 35. 2.95 ERA and 0.95 WHIP. owed $35 mil in 20 and 21. can be had essentially for nothing but taking on the $.

yes or no.

I'd say yes.  Better than anyone on the Phils not named Nola... and that's debatable right now.

It may be stupid money, but...

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 18, 2019, 06:09:15 PM
They won!

Headed up to Bradenton to see Clearwater play tonight.  Any future Phillies fargups I should check out?

Got there at 5:30 for a 6:30 game.   Delayed the start twice before cancelling at 7:30, claiming that the field was unplayable.

Nothing but a short, light rain while I was there.  We live in Florida.  Either there was a deluge sometime in the hour or so before they got there, or the Bradenton ground crew are morons.

Spent some quality time with Mrs. Geo, though.  So that was nice.

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 18, 2019, 10:25:48 PM

i think his anxiety issues are in the past. at this point in his career hes well established and confident. signed a massive contract and had a terrible first season, has rebounded from that. but his postseason numbers are not good at all.

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 18, 2019, 10:28:22 PM
It may be stupid money, but...

i think this is what it boils down to.

the phillies are well below the luxury tax threshold and are only looking at one significant player due a raise: hoskins. they wil get out of hunter, neshak and nicasio next year. arrieta the year after that.

if you dont want grienke, and its fine not to want to him, you have to throw years and similar money to cole, bumgarner, wheeler, etc. you will be paying for them in 2024/25 and limit your financial flexibility then. for these next 2 years, they can afford to eat $30ish million and not have it kill them.

if middleton is willing to write the check. i dont see this as a negative. aint my money. their pitching is an abomination. what the hell.

Don Ho

Quote from: MDS on July 18, 2019, 10:41:07 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 18, 2019, 10:25:48 PM

i think his anxiety issues are in the past. at this point in his career hes well established and confident. signed a massive contract and had a terrible first season, has rebounded from that. but his postseason numbers are not good at all.

Was just going to ask that about his "issues".  He was way to soft to pitch in Philly a few years ago. 

PhillyPhreak54

The newest pitching piƱata is Drew Smyly

He just signed

Rome

Not exactly "the answer" is he?

SD

Really hope they see him as a long reliever and not much else.

MDS

Quote from: AO1 on July 19, 2019, 02:00:32 PM
Really hope they see him as a long reliever and not much else.

legit could start sunday. smyly is a terrible junk ball lefty. think cole irvin but possibly worse. my guess is they are going to tandem him with vv. 4-5 innings of junk, then 2 innings of heat. 7 runs later, here comes nicasio.