The Sports Media Thread

Started by ice grillin you, October 21, 2009, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

sports media trope I'm entirely fed up with:

Player chooses to play in game despite his insert news of recent family tragedy here.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

For a while it seemed like Brett Favre had a new one every year.

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on November 12, 2020, 11:41:11 AM
sports media trope I'm entirely fed up with:

Player chooses to play in game despite his insert news of recent family tragedy here.

Might be newsworthy if the guy came home from practice on Wednesday and found his wife had drowned his three kids in the bathtub.

If his mom died after a protracted battle with breast cancer, that's not news. That's life. We still go to work after that shtein happens too.

Geowhizzer

Apparently, Marc Farzetta is out at the Fanatic.

PhillyPhreak54

I assume he will be back on WIP.

I don't recognize half the people on air now. But between the radio stations and CSN they've whacked just about everyone.

But yet Angelo and his crew of fools and Mikey Miss keep on keeping on

MDS

ang was grooming farz to take over for him...then up and bolted to try and beat him (tbf, farzy was not going to wait around forever). anyway he was getting crushed. not sure how angelo will play this. either take back the son or let him die in the rain.

975 axed him to bring in john kincaid. will he beat angelo? no. whats the point then? farg if i know.

miss just got picked up through 2021, angelo extended like last year. people keep listening to this garbage.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

I don't know who Marc farzetta is and it's honestly been probably over ten years since I've listened to WIP but Angelo is the GOAT

king stay the king
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

phattymatty

the last time I listened to WIP was the day the Sixers traded for Andrew Bynum.

Diomedes

Only the CFB Championship and the Rose Bowl cracked the 50 most watched sports broadcasts in 2020.  NFL had all other 48 spots.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/12/most-watched-sporting-events-2020-list-nfl-nba-mlb-viewership/
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Paging lil guy...

NBCSN is going to be no more soon. Seems like NBC is flipping the bird to people and dropping the platform.

Munson

So Phillies/Flyers/sixers games will just be on nbc now?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

NBC Sports Philadelphia isn't the same as NBCSN.

The national games on NBCSN are likely headed to the USA Network.

MDS

the future is streaming, not niche cable networks. so comcast is getting ahead of the game here

theyre going to move some stuff to usa and some stuff to peacock. i would anticipate and expect the bigger stuff -- key epl matches, nascar races, most nhl games -- to go to usa. theyre going to copy the tbs/tnt model there by mixing in sports properties. but peacock is going to get some shtein, perhaps an nhl regular season game each week or something. the feeling is theyre trying to get peacock on some kind of cable package in addition to its streaming form (streaming wise, it has a free tier but im not sure if sports will be on that)

this is probably going to mostly affect epl. a bigger % of its inventory will head to peacock. hockey wise, the league is going to add another tv partner next contract so there will be *more* nhl games on tv between what usa has and whoever gets it, espn or fs1
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

How desperate is Comcast for content on Peacock, you ask? Well, https://twitter.com/JBFlint/status/1353685797854081026

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

espn got the nhl back....7 year deal with 4 scf's

the league wants 1 other network in on it, likely nbc again but who knows now that comcast is in charge.