Easy's Ex-Philly Athletes Thread

Started by MDS, June 02, 2012, 11:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SD on June 06, 2012, 08:52:41 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 06, 2012, 08:31:18 PM
He was one of the best Phillies of all time but people act like he's some scrub.

No he wasn't. Would you rank him with Schmidt/Ashburn/Carlton? Nobody in their right mind would. I don't even dislike the guy, thought he was a decent player. His departure was necessary for the growth of the younger guys. They said it themselves in interviews they knew they had to step up once Bobby left. Here's what I don't get, what kind of fan reaction do you want for the guy? Do you want the crowd to give him a standing O? He was never a fan favorite, never had a huge play that he's remembered for, and the team didn't make the playoffs while he was here.

Like MDS said, none of that is his fault. Yes it was time for him to be moved so the others could step up. That's all fine and well. But to discount what he did numberswise is not right. They didn't make the playoffs but is that solely his fault? Nope.

Look at his numbers as a Phil;

.303 BA (13th overall in team history [3rd in modern era behind Ashburn and Kruk])
.416 OBP (4th in team history)
.928 OPS (2nd in team history)
891 runs (t9th in team history)
1474 hits (12th in team history)
348 2B (4th in team history)
42 3B (35th in team history)
195 HR (9th in team history)
814 RBI (9th in team history)
254 SB (7th in team history)
947 BB (2nd in team history)
2491 TB (8th in team history)

Like I said - one of the best to play in Philly.

MDS

yea but he didnt crash into walls and walked a lot!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

He's not one of the best, maybe top 50. And, again, I'm not discounting his stats or saying he wasn't a good player. I don't understand what you wanted the crowd to do. Does he deserve a standing O? He's been gone for 6 seasons, has no stand out memorable plays, wasn't a fan favorite, was a good player, and the team didn't win shtein while he was here. He got a few boo's which is to be expected and that was the end of it. What did you expect the crowd to do? He got exactly what I thought he'd get.

MDS

name 49 phillies better than bobby abreu
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Schmidt, Howard, Rollins, Lee, Halladay, Carlton, Ashburn, Callison, Hamels, Roberts, Delahantey, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Dick Allen, Sam Thompson, Curt Schilling, Bunning, Utley, Mcgraw, Curt Simmons, Del Ennis, Larry Bowa, Pete Rose, Manny Trillo, Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Thome, Burrell, Sherry Magee, Gavvy Cravath, Chuck Klein, Chris Short, Maddox, Rolen, Boone, Dykstra, Daulton, Nap Lajoie, Terry Mulholland, Bedrosian, Randy Wolf, Mike Lieberthal, Larry Christiansen, Kruk, Brett Myers, Mitch Williams, Tommy Greene, Dale Murphy, Juan Samuel, Tony Taylor

SunMo

jesus christ bobby abreu one of the best phillies ever.  holy farging shtein
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SunMo

name one memorable moment that douchebag had.  just one
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Don Ho

The fact you mentioned LC and Tony Taylor makes me happy inside.  Now you got me at Sherry Magee. 
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SD on June 06, 2012, 09:45:03 PM
He's not one of the best, maybe top 50. And, again, I'm not discounting his stats or saying he wasn't a good player. I don't understand what you wanted the crowd to do. Does he deserve a standing O? He's been gone for 6 seasons, has no stand out memorable plays, wasn't a fan favorite, was a good player, and the team didn't win shtein while he was here. He got a few boo's which is to be expected and that was the end of it. What did you expect the crowd to do? He got exactly what I thought he'd get.

Top 50? Get a drug test bro!

What should the crowd do? Cheer the guy and acknowledge him a bit. The fact that he wasn't a fan favorite doesn't speak well for the fanbase. But then again, no one really gave a shtein about the Phils until Thome arrived and that signaled the new attitude and change of commitment by Monty and Co.

The team didn't win shtein because they surrounded him with crap. Look at these lineups!
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1998.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/1999.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2000.shtml

For him to put up those numbers with people like Mark Lewis, Desi Relaford and Alex Arias around him? Even more impressive.

SD

Quote from: SunMo on June 06, 2012, 09:59:05 PM

That's my point too. A guy like Matt Stairs will always get a standing O because of one at bat. Abreu did nothing memorable and wasn't a fan favorite. He's not really worthy of fan attention. Sure his stats were decent but who gives a shtein.

QuoteListen to me. Learn from me. I was not the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Win the crowd and you will win your freedom.

PhillyPhreak54

Why is he a douchebag? Because he didn't smash his face in like Rowand?

SD

The most memorable thing Abreu did was in the All Star game...and who really gives a shtein about the all star game.

That and the one time he hit a home run he mocked Sammy Sosa's stupid two finger kiss and chest tap. That was pretty hilarious.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SD on June 06, 2012, 10:03:06 PM

That's my point too. A guy like Matt Stairs will always get a standing O because of one at bat. Abreu did nothing memorable and wasn't a fan favorite. He's not really worthy of fan attention. Sure his stats were decent but who gives a shtein.

QuoteListen to me. Learn from me. I was not the best because I killed quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Win the crowd and you will win your freedom.

Of course Stairs gets a lifetime pass. So do a lot of guys for memorable moments. So what if he didn't have a signature play or moment! The teams he played on sucked ass. There weren't many (or any really) for him to have those because they were farging basement dwellers for the entire time!

The surrounding cast was pitiful, the ownership didn't give two fargs (they paid a 35yr old Ron Gant $6M!!) and the management sucked.

He was a consistent performer on pitiful teams and he put up numbers that rank in a lot of top tens in history!

MDS

Quote from: SD on June 06, 2012, 09:56:42 PM
Mike Lieberthal

lololol. you love half jews dont you. on no planet is loserthal better than abreus venezuelan cock.

name one memorable thing rowand did other than smash his face into wall. the phillies were not very good when bobby was here, so he never had the chance to play in playoff games or whatever. i guess since thats the qualification for you, we should hate chuck klein and dick allen, too.

PhillyPhreak54

How in the farg do you have Mike Lieberthal on there?!?!