The "I Miss Sassy" Sports Thread

Started by Rome, February 06, 2008, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Diomedes

If you can't see that Jesse Owens was a better athlete than one of the best basketball players...all I can say is, proximity bias.  You watched Jordan, so you think he's the greatest.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Those guys, Jordan included, were all iconic giant cultural forces in ways that Serena will never be, but in terms of pure athletic dominance over the rest of her sport, Serena is up near the top. Her case is somewhat weakened by Steffi Graf being just about as dominant in her time.

From that list, Jim Brown is the one who strikes me as the most dominant. He tore the sport wide open in a way never seen before or since, and the difference between him and the rest of the league was enormous. Jordan was the best NBA player I've ever seen, but the on-court difference between him and the other superstars was never as enormous as for someone like Brown or Williams.

Jesse Owens had that level of dominance, but it only lasted about a year. Not sure if it's really his fault because that was the nature of track and field in the 30s, but he didn't have the chance to be dominant for an extended period of time like Usain Bolt was able to do recently.

Other ones who come to mind are Babe Ruth, Wayne Gretzky, Michael Phelps, and Tiger in his prime.

Rome

Jesse Owens was competing against Adolf's finest.  He was a spectacular athlete for his time and one of the greatest but Carl Lewis matched his accomplishments.  No one will ever come close to Jordan.  He's far and away the best pure athlete ever. 

ice grillin you

Jesse Owens is garbage

just like babe Ruth
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

a trump presidency wouldnt be all bad....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/08/01/Law-and-Politics/Event-bids.aspx

QuoteDonald Trump's desire to drastically reshape American foreign policy could damage the nation's hopes of landing the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup, some experts say.

Sgt PSN

You know you're a shteinbag if the IOC or FIFA don't want anything to do with you. 

ice grillin you

its almost as bad as white supremacists and neo zazis wanting everything to do with you

Sgt PSN

Canada has some kid pitching in the LLWS who is 6' tall and just k'd Japan's 1st 3 batters on 10 pitches...all fastballs. Danny Almonte part duex?  Or just a giant Canadian built on Molson and maple syrup?

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Don Ho

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 19, 2016, 02:41:16 PM
Canada has some kid pitching in the LLWS who is 6' tall and just k'd Japan's 1st 3 batters on 10 pitches...all fastballs. Danny Almonte part duex?  Or just a giant Canadian built on Molson and maple syrup?

LMFAO!

Had to double take when I saw this kid on the mound.  Thought it was the World Classic.  Is that his dad they keep showing in the stands?  North of the border trash.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

mens final has been great....s4 just gettin started

ice grillin you

ice grillin you

MDS

saw a great point that he can indeed hit a cgs....but hes not even close to being a top 3 player of his generation

easy to lose sight of it in the moment but its truly an amazing time with fed, rafa, joker and andy
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.