Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i agree to a certain extent but who wants to be the president and or ad that fired joe paterno...thats a lot of pressure

his stubborn ass needs to realize its over...he got his all time wins record...now its time to look out for the program and university that he cares so deeply bout
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

You're overblowing that aspect.  The top schools always get more quarterbacks than they can use, and some (hopefully the lesser ones and not the better ones) will transfer.  Frankly, I think it's on Bolden and his daddy that they made this decision at this time, putting so much weight on the bowl game.  He was simply not ready to play this year and should have been redshirted but got an opportunity because Newsome wasn't stepping up as a dual threat (really not much of a passer) and McGloin is a low ceiling guy.  But Bolden was playing like a guy who really needed some more time to prepare off the field, so he got benched as much for his own good as for the team's.

Again, I think I've made it pretty clear that I hate McGloin and that his performance in the Outback Bowl was one of the worst I've ever seen by any quarterback.  I just think you're overblowing the long-term damage to the program from a guy transferring.  It happens.  Say all the nice things you want about Bolden, but he was not very good this year at all.  If he came in and played more like Terrelle Pryor than Wally Richardson, I might think this is the coaching staff's fault.  And Pryor wasn't even that great as a freshman, but way better than Bolden.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 03, 2011, 02:25:36 PM
i agree to a certain extent but who wants to be the president and or ad that fired joe paterno...thats a lot of pressure

his stubborn ass needs to realize its over...he got his all time wins record...now its time to look out for the program and university that he cares so deeply bout

Seems to be working out for FSU this year.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

PoopyfaceMcGee

They made it to the ACC title game and beat a legitimate SEC team in a bowl game.  I can't imagine anyone expected anything better from FSU than they got this year.  Not a bad season for a 1st year head coach.

Would Joe quitting ASAP be better for the team?  Probably.  But does Bolden transferring strengthen that argument significantly?  Not really.

SunMo

what about the 4 or 5 other guys who are about to transfer?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

florida state recruits itself and is in the middle of a gold mine of talent where during  bad recruting year they can accientily fall into more talent than penn state gets in a great year...but even with that people were successful in their negative recruiting against bowden

now imagine the field day people are having with paterno then pile on this qb debacle and youll see some devatstaingly bad classes coming into penn state over the next few years...especially at the qb position....they arent gonna get shtein there until paterno leaves and probably not even then...unless they make a super hire of some kind...you cant underestimate how bad it is for top players to transfer from a school because of the coaches....especially at a school like penn state that struggles to get top tier athletes at the qb position to begin with...thats why this hurts even more...darryl clark finally attracted some of these guys to the school...and in one unbelievably stupid decision the staff has erased all that good karma

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: SunMo on January 03, 2011, 02:42:51 PM
what about the 4 or 5 other guys who are about to transfer?

Depends.  Are they any good?  If they're white linebackers, I'm ok with that.

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 03, 2011, 02:43:54 PM
darryl clark finally attracted some of these guys to the school...and in one unbelievably stupid decision the staff has erased all that good karma

I have good news, then.  Clark said via twitter that he's going to try to talk Bolden out of it.  (This is actually true, lolz)

PoopyfaceMcGee

PoopyfaceMcGee

Glimmer of hope?

Sounds like his pops is all about a transfer but his moms is like, "Best weigh your options first, fool!"

ice grillin you

im sure joe will welcome him back with open arms

Rome

PoopyfaceMcGee

I was confused and thought that Bolden was the more big-time recruit than Jones.  At least I was wrong about that?

Drunkmasterflex

Really they were about the same....both were 4 star recruits.  Jones was rated higher by most. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

ice grillin you

jones was a five star guy by at least one of rivals or scout....cant remember which one

PoopyfaceMcGee

Jones was generally regarded as the #2 best QB in last year's recruiting class.  Bolden was around 8th.  We all assumed that Bolden was better because he wasn't redshirted, but it seems more like Jones was redshirted for purely academic reasons.  He's gained 20 pounds of muscle and is ready to roll in 2011.

Yes, I'm a homer, but all of that is true.  Still would prefer Jones and Bolden compete for the job and McGloin gets relegated to either 3rd string or hell, but what do I know?