Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

SunMo

looking around the league at other sinker ball pitchers, i'm not worried about kendrick.  they all have high numbers and it seems to be common for sinkerballers to get hit early in spring training
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

im more worried about how he pitched last year...all smoke and mirrors...more hits than innings pitched...hideous k to bb ratio ect...i just cant see him getting away with that again....he doesnt have great stuff that is gonna make him better than last year so where do you go now...to me theres a good chance its in the shteinter

Wingspan

Sports fans have shorter attention spans than puppies. Spring training pitching stats are worthless, pitchers treat it like the nfl treats preseason.

They will try new pitches, and try new locations and not use their good stuff until the season starts.

Remember Gavin Floyd's incredible spring 3 years ago? Good pitchers use the spring as nothing but a way to gain their stamina back.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

my point is that he wasnt great last REGULAR season....he was lucky as shtein...ill be the first to admit i was waiting for his implosion last year and it never happened and if he has another successful season ill be the first to admit i was wrong but i need to see it first

Wingspan

He wasn't "lucky," he did what all sinker ball pitchers do. Which is, they walk more batters than they should, but then they get more batters than they should to ground out.

It's just the nature of that style of pitching.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sgt PSN

Yup.  I'm interested in seeing how many DP's he had in support of him.  Sinkerball pitchers tend to get a lot of them because of the amount of grounders they get.  So while he may walk a guy, chances are he'll get the next guy to put it on the ground and give the d shot at turning 2. 

SunMo

QuotePhollowing the Phillies

Insight, observations (and whatever else comes to mind) on the trails of the first team in professional sports to reach 10,000 losses and the latest Philly team to make the playoffs - the Philadelphia Phillies.
Monday, March 10, 2008
No pain a gain for three mending pitchers
Brad Lidge, Kris Benson and Adam Eaton all got their work in early Monday -- and all felt fine and optimistic following bullpen sessions outside Bright House Field.

Lidge was perhaps the most impressive. The team's new closer popping the catcher's mitt with mid-season-like speed.

"I was really happy. I didn't feel it at all. I got 25 pitches in there and I tried to let it all go, and it felt great," Lidge said. "I'm really encouraged by that, which is a big step for me."

Lidge is scheduled to throw another bullpen session Wednesday. On Monday, he was pain-free.

Lidge said he didn't feel any discomfort in the right knee he had arthroscopic surgery on two weeks ago.

"I don't right now. Not at all. Not that I'm trying to feel it, but I didn't have to think about it at all when I was throwing, there was nothing there for me to be distracted by or anything," he said. "It just wasn't there at all."

Can he be ready for Opening Day?

"That's the goal still, and based on today, I would say we moved a good step closer to that," Lidge said. "I think barring any setbacks, that's a very realistic goal."

http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/delcotimes/ryanl/blog.html
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Wingspan on March 10, 2008, 10:33:51 AM
He wasn't "lucky," he did what all sinker ball pitchers do. Which is, they walk more batters than they should, but then they get more batters than they should to ground out.

It's just the nature of that style of pitching.

you do know there are sinker ball pitchers who arent good pitchers

well find out this year if kendrick is one or not

Seabiscuit36

what i found funny was how Horsemouf on Wip was claiming that the prank on Kendrick hurt his fragile psyche and that its ruining him because he's a mental midget.  Why is that show even on the air?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Wingspan

Yes.

And a pitchers second year is more telling. But Kendrick was 10-4, and was pretty effective in a pennant race. That says a lot right there.

To say he was "lucky" is as shortsighted and asinine as claiming he is "great"*

(although the only one saying that anyone has called him great is you, everyone else sees what he is, a solid middle of the rotation guy that every team needs to be competitive)
Connection Problems

PoopyfaceMcGee

If Cole Hamels could just start 50 games this year, the team would be set.

Rome

Quote from: FastFreddie on March 10, 2008, 11:25:07 AM
If Cole Hamels could just start 50 games this year, the team would be set.

Maybe he would if the Phillies would pay him what he obviously deserves.

Obviously.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Wingspan on March 10, 2008, 11:07:24 AM
Yes.

And a pitchers second year is more telling. But Kendrick was 10-4, and was pretty effective in a pennant race. That says a lot right there.

To say he was "lucky" is as shortsighted and asinine as claiming he is "great"*

(although the only one saying that anyone has called him great is you, everyone else sees what he is, a solid middle of the rotation guy that every team needs to be competitive)

not saying i didnt say it but i dont recall ever saying that someone said he was great...my concern is that he is going to suck...like should be sent down to allentown suck...i just dont think a sinker baller gets a pass for having an inordinate amount of walks and giving up tons of hits just because hes a sinker baller...the hits in particular were off the charts for him last year and dont portend to him doing well this year...

if he was their 5th starter this wouldnt even be a concern to me but hes their #3 guy...i mean i dont care that eaton blows because they can just jettison him and get whoever to round out the rotation...but where do they get a #3 guy in june or july if kendrick blows