2008 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Shawn Hill is going to be the Nationals opening day starter.  He's not exactly Sandy Koufax.

Just saying...

SunMo

yeah, but they don't have anybody better, they're pitching their best pitcher, like 30 of 31 other teams

i literally think you could look at the phillies and probably say they aren't pitching their best pitcher on opening day.

i mean, why not throw pedro instead of Santana on opening day for the mets?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 26, 2008, 08:25:20 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 26, 2008, 08:17:08 PM
not to mention the strategical aspect of having your best pitcher against the other teams best pitcher

I've got mixed feelings on the #1 vs #1 philosophy.  If thier best pitcher has a history of just dominating your hitters but you've had success against thier 2 and 3, then why not send one of your other pitchers to the mound the first game?  In other words, "concede" the loss on the first game and give yourself a better chance to win games 2 and 3.

Of course, that's really a playoff argument, not really suited for opening day.  Because of the length of the season and injuries and skipped starts, opening day is 1 out of maybe 5 or 6 times during the year that your #1 pitcher is going up against the opponent's #1 guy.  

as tight as the mets phillies race should be this year you cant be conceding any games

the reason you go 1 vs 1 is for that exact reason...that you dont limit your chances to win...you hope you guy out duels their guy or you hope its a wash and take your chances in the late innings

Quote from: Rome on February 26, 2008, 08:38:41 PM
Shawn Hill is going to be the Nationals opening day starter.  He's not exactly Sandy Koufax.

Just saying...

hill actually has pitched some really good games against the phils in his career...but that is neither here nor there...its not just the opening day game...its the second and thrid starts and its a couple weeks later against the mets...ect...
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

For the record I think starting Myers instead of Cole is farging stupid.   I also think Cholly's throwing Myers a lollipop too.  All that said, there really isn't that much of a difference between Myers & Cole at this point.  They're both good pitchers but if I were the manager, yeah, Cole would get the nod.

I'm not, though, so...

ice grillin you

you crazy dook

king>>>myers...one is a borderline #2 starter and the other is a cy young candidate

Rome

Zolecki's take...

QuoteMyers will start Phillies' opener

By Todd Zolecki

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
CLEARWATER, Fla. - Brett Myers will be the Phillies' opening-day starter on March 31 against the Washington Nationals at Citizens Bank Park.

Cole Hamels will pitch Game 2 against the Nationals.

Though Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said today that Myers was chosen for matchup purposes, it wouldn't be surprising if the club awarded Myers the start for loyalty reasons. The Phils moved Myers, last year's opening-day starter, from the rotation into the bullpen early last season. Myers fell in love with the closer's role, but the Phillies returned him to the rotation this spring after acquiring closer Brad Lidge in a trade with the Houston Astros.

Hamels went 15-5 with a 3.39 ERA last season, his first full season in the majors. Myers won a career-best 14 games as a starter in 2003. Myers went 13-8 with a 3.72 ERA in 2005, and 12-7 with a 3.91 ERA in 2006.

PoopyfaceMcGee

SunMo

anything can be better than the pear with legs they have now

SD_Eagle5

The Phils are having Jew night Aug. 21 link

To keep with the Jew culture they're offering a discount on tickets purchased online.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD_Eagle on February 26, 2008, 08:56:13 PM
The Phils are having Jew night Aug. 21 link

To keep with the Jew culture they're offering a discount on tickets purchased online.

they should get free rides on the train down to the game as well

SunMo

Rome

When I said there isn't much difference I meant as the opening day starting pitcher, not overall.  Obviously Cole is much better.  I wouldn't have thought I would have to spell that out but I forgot it's concretefield.  My bad.

ice grillin you

so king is much better in every game but the opener?

Rome

Your face is much better as a match for my ass.

Shut up, already.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Industrial length measuring tape for all, Alabama Slammers for others!