2008 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

i met tim kurkjian at the airport once.

Rome

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

BigEd76

One of the first callers on WIP after the announcement:

"Howard is going to ruin things for the fans because ticket and food prices will go up." 

Rhea's response:

"Don't forget that Adam Eaton caused your food prices to go up too."

Seabiscuit36

They should use caller ID to exterminate these idiots
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Why do people not understand the MLB service time principal as it pertains to compensation?  Take a tour of baseball boards.  People are absolutely drilling the Phillies for not paying Howard more.  It's not as if they haven't tried to work out a long term deal with him. 

Are they supposed to just give him whatever he wants regardless of the risk or regardless of the effect that doing so would have on the rest of their payroll structure?

Idiots.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: BigEd76 on February 21, 2008, 10:24:55 AM
One of the first callers on WIP after the announcement:

"Howard is going to ruin things for the fans because ticket and food prices will go up." 

Rhea's response:

"Don't forget that Adam Eaton caused your food prices to go up too."

jesus christ.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

While it's good Howard got his money...this is going to be bad for baseball in the long run.

You are going to see some of the smaller market teams trading more prospects away even sooner to the bigger market teams creating a bigger gap in competition.

I can say for pretty much for certain that Ryan Howard will not see the 2011 season in philadelphia.

2008 - $10M
2009 - $13-14M
2010 - $16-18M
2011 - $21-24M

A long term extension would cost the phils almost $30M a year. No way that happens.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Wingspan on February 21, 2008, 12:02:25 PM
I can say for pretty much for certain that Ryan Howard will not see the 2011 season in philadelphia.

"pretty much for certain"

Get off the fence and make a bold declaration a la Billy Beane or IGY!

Rome

No player in history has come close to $30M a year other than A-Rod and even he's not worth it.

Even $20M a year for Howard is lunacy. Still, lunacy apparently rules these days, so...

Offer him $120M over 6 years.  If he takes it, fine.  If he doesn't, he'll be 32 years old at the end of his arbitration-eligible years anyway.

Wingspan

Quote from: Rome on February 21, 2008, 01:55:18 PM
No player in history has come close to $30M a year other than A-Rod and even he's not worth it.

Even $20M a year for Howard is lunacy. Still, lunacy apparently rules these days, so...

Offer him $120M over 6 years.  If he takes it, fine.  If he doesn't, he'll be 32 years old at the end of his arbitration-eligible years anyway.

The "no player in history" thing is totally irrelevant now.

Howard is going to get equal or more than $20M before he even ever free agency eligible. That will pretty much be the end of any semblance of "salary structure" in baseball.

You're going to see many more prospects kept in the minors longer now, so that teams that can not afford to pay $20M, or chose not to, can have a "star player" for a few years in their prime. While the phils stumbled upon howard as a late bloomer...it's lays a blueprint to have a bona-fide stud at an affordable rate.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Rome

I don't see how he's going to get $20M 'LONG' before 2011.  He's getting $10M in 2008.  You think he's getting $20M next year or even the year after?  It doesn't work that way.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Rumor has it Howard is demanding some estimator super duper measuring tape.

Wingspan

Quote from: Rome on February 21, 2008, 03:31:29 PM
I don't see how he's going to get $20M 'LONG' before 2011.  He's getting $10M in 2008.  You think he's getting $20M next year or even the year after?  It doesn't work that way.

where did i say 'LONG'?

If Howard enters next year in arbitration, how much do you think he will ask for, considering he won $10M this year? The Phils have to up their offer on the 10, if they offered less than 10...there is no shot howard loses.

next years arbitration numbers will be Phils $12M and Howard $15...easily.

and then do the same for 2010

Connection Problems