Golf

Started by stalker, January 29, 2009, 12:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stalker

Does anybody play golf? I have played a little off and on for years. This past summer I started playing 2-3 times a week regularly and am really addicted to it now. I haven't played since November and am dying to get out. As long as my business keeps moving, I figure maybe go down to Florida during Phillies spring training and get in a few rounds. Is anyone else a player.
Alert, alert. Look well at the rainbow. The fish will be running very soon.

PoopyfaceMcGee

PhillyPhreak54

I love to play. I played in middle school, stopped for about 15 years and started again last year.

The last time I shot, I hit 97.

I have a major slice problem. I can tee off facing almost at a 45 degree angle to the fairway and it will still slice right. If I can fix that (I think its my hips flying open too soon) I should be able to cut a lot off my score.

stalker

I am kinda the same way. I played a lot when I was younger and played nothing but occasional customer golf for about 15 years. I took some advice from a friend who was briefly on the tour and it paid real dividends. I was thinking of buying new clubs this year (my old ones were 15 years old), it would have set me back about a grand or so. He said, take the 1000 and buy some lessons. To prove his point, we went out and played. He brought a 5 iron and a putter and shot a 65 on our local track. So, I took some lessons this year. I found a pro who really likes walking lessons. Anyway, I am playing to about a 12 this year which is way better than I have ever played.
Alert, alert. Look well at the rainbow. The fish will be running very soon.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 29, 2009, 10:11:03 PM
I love to play. I played in middle school, stopped for about 15 years and started again last year.

I have a major slice problem. I can tee off facing almost at a 45 degree angle to the fairway and it will still slice right. If I can fix that (I think its my hips flying open too soon) I should be able to cut a lot off my score.

i just started playing in 07 so i'm only entering my 3rd season and am far from an expert but i started out with a terrible slice too, especially since all my mechanics were all baseball mechanics.  still have the slice a little but it's not nearly has bad and it's not there on every swing....maybe only 1 out of every 4 or 5 drives now.   

couple things i did and am still doing to work it out:

1.  point my left foot inboard slightly to help keep my hips from opening up.

2.  put my left foot an inch or two closer towards the tee than my right (rear) foot. 

3.  focus on pulling the club through my swing with my left hand, rather than pushing it through with my right. 

4.  swing easy and don't try to crush the ball 300 yards.  distance will eventually come with proficiency.  for now, i'm content with driving it 220 yards down the middle rather than 260 yds and landing in the middle of a bunch of trees or a pond. 

getting rid of that slice for the most part has taken probably about 25 strokes off my game.  i usually shoot right around 100 now but my best score so far is a 93. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on March 26, 2009, 11:11:32 PM
i just started playing in 07 so i'm only entering my 3rd season and am far from an expert but i started out with a terrible slice too, especially since all my mechanics were all baseball mechanics.  still have the slice a little but it's not nearly has bad and it's not there on every swing....maybe only 1 out of every 4 or 5 drives now.   

2.  put my left foot an inch or two closer towards the tee than my right (rear) foot. 

3.  focus on pulling the club through my swing with my left hand, rather than pushing it through with my right. 

4.  swing easy and don't try to crush the ball 300 yards.  distance will eventually come with proficiency.  for now, i'm content with driving it 220 yards down the middle rather than 260 yds and landing in the middle of a bunch of trees or a pond. 

getting rid of that slice for the most part has taken probably about 25 strokes off my game.  i usually shoot right around 100 now but my best score so far is a 93. 

a welcome back for dat ass   

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Sgt PSN on March 26, 2009, 11:11:32 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 29, 2009, 10:11:03 PM

Thanks, I'll try that stuff. Better than paying some golf shop pro to do it...and I refuse to do that so I'll tinker with it on my own.

I know if I can eliminate that slice, I'll be home free.

reese125

paying a golf pro is worth every penny if youre serious about golf

PhillyPhreak54

I'm serious enough about it that I want to be good enough to play well. But not serious enough that I want to drop cash on a golf pro. If I can shoot high 80's, I'm cool with that.

reese125

Ive been playing for quite a while Phreak and I can almost bet you that if you want to be consistently in the 80's, youre either

a) going to have to play your ass off a minimal of 2 times a week and hit up the range weekly

b) grab a golf pro at least once to straighten you out and put you on the right path

c) if not a or b--just be that damn good that you dont need anything but Sarges 4 bullet points

Sgt PSN

this tips i picked up were all from a club pro over drinks.  i would eventually like to take a couple lessons but they are too rich for my blood right now and i dont want to drop that kind of coin on something that i may or may not lose interest in a couple of years from now. 

if i had the time/cash to get out and play just once a week, i'm sure i could get consistantly into the high 80's/low 90's.  as it stands right now though, i've only gotten out on the links about 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months, so my score is stuck around 100. 

i just played a couple of weeks ago and used a 60 degree wedge for the first time.  it was quite comical to say the least.  what a goofy farging club.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I like both playing and watching golf, and this thread is still unreadable.

ice grillin you

it really is one of the worst threads ive ever seen on the internet

reese125

Unathletic dudes are the worst