2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

I actually thought he pitched okay last night. Did anyone expect the offense to come out guns blazin after playing 4 games in 48 hours and then flying across country? I am shocked they put up 2.

Get over yourself IGY.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

I actually fully expected a loss last night.  I fully expect a win tonight because the Phils have adjusted to the time difference, Seattle has great coffee & strip joints, and because Cole is pitching.

Fully.

QB Eagles

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 18, 2011, 01:36:28 AM
Over the last 14 years, the league that wins interleague play predicts the league that wins the World Series as much as a coin flip does.

Maybe that's not true for some other sports, but that fact has zero relevance toward baseball.
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 18, 2011, 01:46:33 AM
thats just not true....the AL has beaten the nl like a drum in interleague play...the AL has raped the nl in all star games...and they have handily out world seriesd them

It is true. Since the beginning of interleague play:

• NL has won the interleague matchups 4 times. The NL has won 2/4 of those World Series (50%).
  • AL has won the interleague matchups 10 times. The AL has won 6/10 of those World Series (60%). This is less than one standard deviation away from 50% and is *completely* consistent with 50/50 coinflip results.
Interleague record does not predict WS win.

Is the AL the better, deeper league? Absolutely. Does that mean that the best AL team is better than the best NL team? Not since the beginning of interleague play it hasn't.

In fact, the reason the AL has more World Series wins historically than the NL isn't due to how good the league is, either. It's due to the existence of one aberrant team -- the New York Yankees -- in the American League. This team has been making far more money on local media contracts than other teams since at least the 1940s. If you plop the Yankees into the NL, the AL is still the better league, but the NL would have far more World Series wins.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Rome on June 18, 2011, 08:43:08 AM
I actually fully expected a loss last night.  I fully expect a win tonight because the Phils have adjusted to the time difference, Seattle has great coffee & strip joints, and because Cole is pitching.

Fully.

Worley goes tonight.  Hamels tomorrow.

Rome

This flip-flopping of starters is really starting to piss me off.

Stupid goddamn doubleheaders.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Geowhizzer

PhillyPhreak54

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 18, 2011, 12:46:45 PM
Is Halladay pitching today?

Worley vs. Felix today.
Hamels vs. Vargas Sunday.
Halladay vs. TBA Tuesday @ St. Louis.

MDS

Quote from: Rome on June 18, 2011, 10:39:10 AM
This flip-flopping of starters is really starting to piss me off.

Stupid goddamn doubleheaders.

hahahaahaahaha

i love this guy. he cant keep track of who is starting when, cant remember who started last and is incapable of going on any number of websites to check for himself. the legend lives on.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

Yeah, I really should memorize pitching match-ups being that they're such an essential part of my life.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

ice grillin you

brandon duckworth pitched last night against lehigh valley....dook is only 35...i definitely would have guessed 38-40
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Don Ho

Was there any talk of using Grit as a DH?  Let Valdez play second and give Utley a break.  Still get to utilize his hot bat.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.