Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbionic

Congratulations everyone, we reached a new milestone. We just had commentary on Nihilism. It's a  :CF first.

I would like to be excited, but I don't really know how to feel about it. It's almost like, "What's the point?"
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Quote from: hbionic on June 05, 2014, 03:14:24 PM
We just had commentary on Nihilism. It's a  :CF first.

I thought nihilism was the dominant theme of CF's "Eagles Talk" forum.

Yeti

Quote from: Eagaholic on June 05, 2014, 05:59:51 AM
The Orson story is obviously symbolic and the utility of symbology is that is can have many levels of meaning, not just a 1:1 analogy. My sense is that this goes to the crux of the whole ASOIAF story, and on one level Orson is a transposition of the nihilistic wights who, like Orson with his beetles, will relentlessly come to smash the humans, and not just because they happen to be there but will go out of their way to come after humans until they all are destroyed.

Tyrion reported being filled with dread from watching Orson to the point of having nightmares and waking in a cold sweat, so I could see this as premonition or foreshadowing. It also highlights what  has never been adequately addressed - the question of the white walkers and why they do what they do. It is it just their nature or are humans a natural enemy, or like in the religion of R'hllor are they agents of the dark lord?

This is probably as philosophical as I've seen the story get but I like it. It points toward the underlying meaning of the story.

One common thread GRRM has used throughout, is how something/someone seemingly bad has a good side that become revealed or redeemed. If the world really has degenerated into a steaming pile of corruption, nihilism could serve a positive purpose of having the near total destruction from a great war turn out to be what the world needs to be reborn and start anew. Martin seems warped enough (or maybe pragmatic enough) to offer this view.

I just imaginary "Liked" this
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Eagles_Legendz

That was poor episode planning.  That's all I'll say until after next week.

Munson

That was awesome, I can see how they blew the budget on that one.

I'm trying to figure out why Jon is just walking out to the wildlings. Unless Mance still thinks Jon is with ygritte and tormund?
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Munson on June 08, 2014, 10:04:35 PM
That was awesome, I can see how they blew the budget on that one.

I'm trying to figure out why Jon is just walking out to the wildlings. Unless Mance still thinks Jon is with ygritte and tormund?

Read this post if you haven't read the books AFTER next weeks episode:

[spoiler]so next week is 66 minutes.  This week is 51.  The entire CAP of the Battle at the Wall is Stannis' arrival to save everyone.  It ties in his storyline to the wall & gives his character a huge payoff/hero moment and is a major curve out of left field (it has been telegraphed slightly more in the story but the point is the same).  What better way than to cap a neat bow on an episode entirely at the wall than to use however many minutes are going to be devoted to Mance treating with Jon next week and instead, make both episodes about an hour long by including it here?  You get a sense of real accomplishment as the episode ends because the wildlings have been crushed, Stannis makes it, etc.  Instead, what you get at the end of this episode is what?  Ygritte dying and basically 0 resolution whatsoever.  The plot hasn't moved at all. 

The concerns won't really exist if you watch the show as a marathon, or in tandem with next episode, but it bothered me here.  Next episode is already going to be crammed with TONS of huge moments.  It would've been liking ending the 8th episode on Jaime/Tyrion's speech and pushing the duel into that episode as well.  Sure, it accomplishes the same end in the season as a whole, but viewed in isolation, it's a major WTF decision.  Stannis' arrival would have left me feeling like something major was accomplished in this episode on top of all the little skirmishes (because then you get part of the battle beyond the wall too which was clearly filmed based on the promos).  Instead, you get a skirmish from the raiding party and nothing else.  Yes, next week should be beyond amazing with all of the moments, but they could have spread the wealth here, pushed that part into this episode like I was assuming it would be, and then let next week breathe just a little bit.  I don't get it.[/spoiler]

rjs246

That episode was a badly done version of the battle of Helm's Deep. Ygritte dying gets a big who cares. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Munson

Yeah her death wasn't really all that emotional, minus feeling a little bad for Jon as she died. Probably because her death was pretty predictable, I ddidn't think there was any way she made it out of this episode.

I was more sad about Grenn and Pyp dying. Really liked Grenn whenever he was on screen.

Loved seeing Sam become more brave and Jon turn into a badass and a leader tonight. I also found myself cheering for Ser Alliser, which I didn't see coming. Janos Slynt needs to die ASAP though, farg that guy.

Munson

Eagles_Legendz

I think this episode will be fine when taken in tandem with the next one.  It's clear with all of the plot threads dangling still, episode 10 this year seems more the climax and less the denouement that it has been in most seasons.

smeags

i have a feeling the storyline of the wall/the wildlings etc will spill over into next season. last night's episode was pretty good but certainly lacked the "holy crap" allure.

one good part was ser alliser admitting to jon snow the he was right not only about permentally closing the gate but pretty much everything.

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

rjs246

Game of Thrones is much better at intrigue and shock/surprise than it is at spectacle. Last night's episode was a big fat meh because it relied 100% on spectacle and it just wasn't up to the task.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

agreed although i have to admit that scene munson posted was excellent.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: smeags on June 09, 2014, 03:11:21 PM
agreed although i have to admit that scene munson posted was excellent.

There were plenty of good parts in the episode.  Thorne's stuff was very good.  Tormund is awesome.  The tracking shot for 45 seconds was really cool.  I just don't like how it was pitched as this huge battle at the wall, when what you got really was the skirmish from the group that already crossed the wall and a few scattered people from north of the wall doing stuff.

I'm glad we get to see Ciaran Hinds in the preview for next episode though.