Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Sgt PSN

Quote from: MDS on May 11, 2011, 02:08:22 AM
just finished play their hearts out, a book chronicling an AAU team from the time they started (10/11 years old) to their high school graduations.

ill keep it short: if you like basketball, even remotely, you need to read this book. unbelievable depth of reporting and detail about not only these kids' lives, but the disgusting AAU scene and the god-awful people who run it. weve all heard some stuff about this life and now here it is, clear as day.

i realize im on the wrong board trying to get people to talk hoops but this is easily the best sports book of the last decade.

Sounds kind of like a new, more in-depth Hoop Dreams....which was an excellent read.  Might have to check this one out. 

Quote from: hbionic on May 11, 2011, 06:42:45 AM
For some reason...you don't come across as a hoops-faring person.

That's because Todd only played AAJew ball. 

MDS

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 11, 2011, 04:19:56 PM
Sounds kind of like a new, more in-depth Hoop Dreams....which was an excellent read.  Might have to check this one out.

its sort of a remake of hoop dreams, very much in the same vein following these kids around. except hoop dreams was really before the AAU circuit took over the game, so in many ways its different. i cant recommend this book enough, its like 400 pages but itll go by quickly.

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 03:47:06 PM
when are you going to write your own book on the aau tennis circuit?

at least those kids get paid a little bit. p.s. you especially need to read this book.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

i have zero interest in something like that
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

hbionic

Quote from: Zanshin on May 11, 2011, 04:16:48 PM
Who the hell licks a hooker?

I went to a bachelor party that had two strippers....one stuck a lollipop in her cooch and one of the dudes grabbed it from her and stuck it in his mouth.

Bitch was dirty. And so was the stripper.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 06:55:37 PM
i have zero interest in something like that

why learn about something you dont know?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

cant know everything about everything so i gotta prioritize and aau basketball doent make the cut

MDS

it aint aau hoops, its hoops in general. but why do that when you can see horror movies and watch hockey.

PhillyPhreak54

I saw that too about the ESPN story. Supposedly a lot more salacious stories set to come out and Berman, Kolber and Erin Andrews are especially nervous per Deadspin.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on May 11, 2011, 02:08:22 AM
a book chronicling an AAU team from the time they started (10/11 years old) to their high school graduations.

Quote from: MDS on May 11, 2011, 07:17:19 PM
it aint aau hoops

you sure?

a 400 page book about an aau hoops team sounds suicide inducing

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

im currently reading 'exit the rainmaker' about a well to do well known pillar of southern maryland society who in 1982 one day decided to just up and leave his family friends and life without notice to anyone...im not even half way thru but its great so far

Zanshin

I heard that you won't be able to put it down.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 08:40:23 PMyou sure?

a 400 page book about an aau hoops team sounds suicide inducing

of course its aau but its more than that, dingus. its the way in which every single bball player is brought up. if you want to know why kids are the way they are and want to know why the system is what it is, you can explore that. or you can just...read books about rich people from maryland.

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 11, 2011, 08:36:34 PM
I saw that too about the ESPN story. Supposedly a lot more salacious stories set to come out and Berman, Kolber and Erin Andrews are especially nervous per Deadspin.

already pre-ordered on amazon...i think its somewhere in the 15 buck range.

the erin stuff has be details about all her athletic cock hoggling.