Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

joneszilla...have you read the other one I listed by Koontz? "From the Corner of His Eye"...its fantastic.

False Memory really freaked me out.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

joneszilla

Nope...never read it.  I will pick it up later this week and check it out, I haven't read any Koontz in a while.

satoshi

I am not sure if I should have named it. Anywayz, I am now trying to buy Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, maybe because I am hungry now. Has anyone read it? I just ask if it is good or not. Looks interesting or boring for you? ???

Eaglesfan30

I read Fast Food Nation...don't waste your money.  It's pure alarmism at it's best.  Just some guy trying to panic the entire world into not eating at McDonalds.
Gee, they actually kill cows to make hamburgers?  I never would have guessed.   ::)

...back to the original thread, I usually read a book each week (not sure who else here goes to the library, but I gotta tell you, even out here in the middle of nowhere, the library rules.).
Too numerous to list, but I'd recommend anything by PJ O'Rourke...he's one funny writer.

Gene

Quote from: Eaglesfan30 on July 04, 2002, 07:24:11 AMI'd recommend anything by PJ O'Rourke...he's one funny writer.

Jean Shepherd is good........

And more times than not I'm laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face when  reading anything by Dave Barry........

p.s. Ef30.....Is that the same O'Rouke that used to write for "National Lampoon"  all those years ago?  Now there was a funny magazine!  Wish they'd bring that one back!

Eaglesfan30

Quotep.s. Ef30.....Is that the same O'Rouke that used to write for "National Lampoon"  all those years ago?  Now there was a funny magazine!  Wish they'd bring that one back!

It sure is...he was also a travel correspondent for Rolling Stone for awhile, but his Lampoon stuff is classic.  I've been buying old Lampoons on Ebay for the past couple years (to replace the ones I foolishly threw away in my younger days).
I was a subcriber back when they went out of business...I remember that they switched all subscribers over to Spy magazine which was also funny & which also went out of business), but it was never anywhere as good as National Lampoon.

...by the way, have you ever checked out the National Lampoon website?  Good stuff...

CSD

If any of you enjoy detective/forensic novels, I would recommend the Bone Collector series by Jeffery Deaver and the Prey series by John Sandford. Jeffery Deaver also has some books that aren't part of the Bone Collector series that are also excellent.

stillupfront

WEBGriffin's Corps series

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books

1/9/06

Very proud sponsor of DarWIN Walker BSSE

Proud to be sponsored by HBionic

MURP

Quote from: Gene on July 04, 2002, 08:55:05 AMAnd more times than not I'm laughing so hard I have tears rolling down my face when  reading anything by Dave Barry........

:yay  Dave Barry is some funny stuff.

CSD

Have any of you ever read Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series? Real funny stuff.

PhillyGirl

Just started a Koontz book I never read...."Door to December"

I'll let you know what its like when I'm done...the first 20 pages were complete gore, though...LOL
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Zanshin

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 04, 2002, 02:50:01 PMJust started a Koontz book I never read...."Door to December"

I'll let you know what its like when I'm done...the first 20 pages were complete gore, though...LOL

Read that one; it gets less gory and is a decent read.  Actually, as I recall, it was a much different read than I thought it would be after the first part of the book.

AE

Quote from: Satoshi on April 30, 2002, 10:08:17 PMThe Giver by Lois Lowry. This is designed for children, but it was interesting. ;)

I think I read that, also.  I can't remember much, but I think it had infantcide in it.  The course I was taking (when I read the book) compared the society in the book with modern China (the big one).

I just finished Slander, by Ann Coulter.  Wow, she took the gloves off in that book.  Worth a read, for sure.  Currently, I'm reading Illiberal Education, by Dinesh Desouza (spelling is likely off).  

tnt4philly

I just got done with my two week annual training with the PA Army National Guard. Not to be outdone by their active counter part, the NG knows how to play the "hurry up and wait" game just as well. Anyways, I had alot of time to read. I read the "People history of the United States. I am a very patriotic, conservative person, but this book really changed how I view some things. Actually it did not changed my views as much as giving it another perspective. Another good book I read was"They dare to speak out" It was written by ex senator, Paul Findley. The book is about how powerful the Pro-Israel lobby is here in the US, and how much they control our Congress.

Both books were eye openers.

satoshi

Tomorrow, the book You Are Being Lied To will be sent to me. Can't wait! Not sure if I have time to read in a month though. FYI, Russ Kick, the author of the book, published his new one in April; Everything You Know Is Wrong. Now, I am being forced to read Lord of the Flies...

Quote from: General_Failure on March 16, 2002, 11:32:26 AM
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
I know that book is Spurrier's favorite.