Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

So I finished "If Football's A Religion, Why Don't We Have A Prayer?" last night and I enjoyed reading it. Like I said ... it had a little too much of Shoulder Pad Shaun in it for my liking but the stories of the other families, fans and people affected by their love of the Eagles made it a good read. I would recommend it to y'all.

Two things about Shoulder Pad Shaun in there that I found disturbing/funny:

1. He claims that he farged a girl while she was wearing his shoulderpads. Supposedly she saw them sitting in his closet and asked to wear them while getting plugged.

2. He was picked to be on Survivor but couldn't do it because his foot got run over by his trash truck.

MDS

That "girl" he farged was just a transvestite hooker. Thats all he gets.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

WEST is GOD

I didn't know they allowed dirty talk in those books.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

PhillyGirl

Just finished "The Cove" by Catherine Coulter.

Creepy but really good FBI thriller book. Made me think of the movie "The Village" because of the way the townspeople were all in on some big plan.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Diomedes

Almost done with Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge.  Good book.  Great character study.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

Just got done with the Sports Guy's book. Not bad. Hopefully the next one is all original stuff (this was compilations of past columns, most of which i never read or dont remember reading). But just reading through, this dude is so freakin lucky.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

satoshi

I bought the Colorado Kid last week. I have no time to read these days though.

Wingspan

Quote from: MDS on November 06, 2005, 06:14:45 PM
Just got done with the Sports Guy's book. Not bad. Hopefully the next one is all original stuff (this was compilations of past columns, most of which i never read or dont remember reading). But just reading through, this dude is so freakin lucky.

the sports guy sucks. he hasnt written a decent column in well over a year.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 16, 2005, 08:35:04 PM
1. He claims that he farged a girl while she was wearing his shoulderpads. Supposedly she saw them sitting in his closet and asked to wear them while getting plugged.

A little too "Scary Movie" for me to believe it. 

PhillyPhreak54

Faithless - Karin Slaughter

Slaughter writes a series (Grant County Series) about a small town in Georgia. She resembles Patricia Cornwell's "Scarpetta Series" in the sense that they both are medical examiner/police type series'. Faithless is her latest novel in the series and possibly the best one yet. She is a new author and I enjoy reading her.

Predator - Patricia Cornwell

This is her latest Scarpetta book. I'm still in the process of reading it but I like it so far.

Cabinet of Curiosities - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

First book of theirs that I have read. Kinda weird but in a good way. Still in the process of reading ths one too.

Zanshin

Appoloosa, by Robert B. Parker.  Pretty standard fare, really.  Entertaining, but not especially "good".  It's his usual stuff, but set in the old west.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: PhillyGirl on September 27, 2005, 07:59:16 AM
Just finished "The Cove" by Catherine Coulter.

Creepy but really good FBI thriller book. Made me think of the movie "The Village" because of the way the townspeople were all in on some big plan.

Have you read any other stuff by her, PG?

I've heard she was good but never read anything yet. Are they a series or just single novels?

rjs246

I don't enjoy most female novelists. They can't write male characters and since I'm a misogynistic pig, I don't want to read about whiny women. Having said that, one of my favorite books is 'Momma Day' by Gloria Naylor. I would recommend it to all of you jerks.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

With Slaughter and Cornwell I haven't noticed a problem with them portraying the dudes in their books.

But I have read books where I know what you're talkin about...