Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorebird

I look at this thread and wonder if anyone here reads anything I do, like John Grisham, James Patterson, or Stephen King. I read Salem's Lot when I was somewere around 18, and it's still one of the best books I've ever read. It's nothing like the cheesey TV movie.

I've heard that Koontz is way out there, even more so than King. I might have to give him a try though if you guys and gal think his books are that good.

A couple of friends tell me Koontz's books are hard to follow, and that the plots are really complicated. Is this true? If it is, he might be a little too much for my Eastern Shore intellect.

I was  wondering something also, how much are you guys paying for paperbacks? I just bought Cat and Mouse, by Patterson, and it was $7.99 at Food Lion. It's not much too cry about, but I've seen paperbacks at Wal-Mart for 4.99 sometimes. Eight bucks just seems a lot to pay for a paperback.

PhillyGirl

shorebird...I've read all of King's, all of Patterson's and all of Grisham's books....and Koontz is better than them all.

The beginnings are tough to follow, because each chapter introduces a new character....but they all tie up at the end and they're fantastic.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

shorebird

Well, on that recomendation, I'll damn shore give him a try! I've seen his books everywere, just never bought one.

satoshi

Im now reading Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. Not a bad book, but it makes my life somewhat hopeless... :(

MURP

Shorebird... why not just use the Library... or find a used book store.  They usually sell paperbacks for half price or less.

PhillyGirl

Go to the library for his earlier works. I actually got the one I am reading now from Ebay. The book was 27 bucks in the bookstore (it was in hardback only when I bought it) and I got it for 7 bucks on Ebay. :)
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Diomedes

I got Bowden's Bringing the Heat for Christmas.  It has quickly moved to the top of the "next" pile.

RomeyRome

QuoteI've heard that Koontz is way out there, even more so than King. I might have to give him a try though if you guys and gal think his books are that good.

A couple of friends tell me Koontz's books are hard to follow, and that the plots are really complicated. Is this true? If it is, he might be a little too much for my Eastern Shore intellect.

Koontz is definately WAY out there, but his books are not that hard to follow.  Like PG said, he introduces new characters that have their own seperate stories, and when you go from chapter to chapter the stories will jump a little from character to character and story to story, but then they ALL lead to the same story and it is definately a different style, not original, but different.

I think he is a  genius in 3 important aspects,

1) Usually has great characters
2) Great at describing a scene without overdoing cheeziness
3) Insane imagination, really coo coo!! ;D

Like all authors he has some horrible books, but most of them are great stuff.

Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night, once again I must reccommend for the 50th time, that would be a great way to start reading Koontz.  The 3rd book of that series is about to come out, so you could catch up and read the new one. ;D

Patterson is good stuff, never read Stephen King though, his movies have ruined him for me.  Don't like Grisham, again his movies ruined him for me, and I don't like his type of books, too realistic.

When I read, I want the "escapism" experience of imagination, not the realism of cases in a court. ;D

Gene

As a kind of gag gift my mom gave me a book she first gave me as a present from Christmas of 1971!

It was my old  copy of:  "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories"....and other disasters.......

It was authored by Jean Shepherd who was the creator (and narrator) of the movie:  "Christmas Story  which has been marathoned by TNT today......

She heard my moaning awhile back that I better get control of the TV at least once today so I can get a chance to see that movie.....Mom found the book somewhere in the house and wrapped it up for me...... ;D

BrewCrewLeader

Try your local Goodwill store as well..I just got 10 books for a crisp $1.00 bill...a virtual potpourri of titles too...and hey you're helping the cause as well....

Just finished Polar Star a book about murder and espionage on a Fishing Factory Ship 'Russian"...a half decent read to be honest...

CSD

Have any of you read American Soul by Jacob Needleman?

Gene

Quote from: BrewCrewLeader on December 26, 2002, 02:13:51 PM

Just finished Polar Star a book about murder and espionage on a Fishing Factory Ship 'Russian"...a half decent read to be honest...

"Polar Star"  was a good read....if you're interested that book was a sequel to "Gorky Park".........."Red Square" was a 3rd novel witten by Martin Cruz Smith that featured Detective Arkady Renko as the hero......

PhillyGirl

I'm in the middle of reading "Justice" by Dominick Dunne.

What a great read!

A background on the author....

His daughter was the older daughter in the movie "Poltergeist". She was stalked and strangled to death by her ex-boyfriend. He was let off practically scot-free and after being at her trial (which the first story he told and was one of the most angering and heartwrenching thing I've ever read), her father became obssessed with trials. He goes on to write about very high profile trials like the Menedez boys, Claus von Bulow, Vicki Morgan, Michael Skakel, OJ simpson and others.

Good book, I suggest it.

satoshi

MURP, help me out...

When I made a thread named Great Eagles books or something, you introduced me four books. Thanks. And they are: Bringing the Heat, I hate Dallas Cowboys, The 1960 Philadelphia Eagles, and...

I can't remember what it was and lost the list on ehich I wrote down those titles. Could you please tell me again?

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Diomedes on December 25, 2002, 12:00:20 PM
I got Bowden's Bringing the Heat for Christmas.  It has quickly moved to the top of the "next" pile.

Move it from the "next" pile to the "NOW" pile.

Thats one book you shouldn't wait to read... ;D