Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Hunter

I am currently reading "Fellowship of the Ring" if that counts.
If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

AE

My undergrad degree is in English Lit.  Absolutely ruined reading for pleasure.
I read a lot of "Think Tank" articles.  I am a geo-political junkie.  My website has some links.
www.cato.org  A Libertarian site (though not affiliated with the party)
www.aei.org  Good for international affairs
www.rand.org Tackles many issues

Periodicals on the web:
www.opionionjournal.com Wall Street Jounal's online editorial page.  "Best of the Web" feature is a daily dose of amusing and perplexing articles.
www.weeklystandard.com Conservative magazine
Of course, I read a good deal of George Will, online.  He can be found at the sacbee site or the Washington Post.

I print a lot of articles and read on the bus home from work.

Tomahawk

I recently finished "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence." Read it.

Zanshin

Quote from: Tomahawk on March 19, 2002, 01:31:02 PMI recently finished "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence." Read it.

That was a good one. His next effort, Lila, wasn't nearly as good, though.

General_Failure

Quote from: Tomahawk on March 19, 2002, 01:31:02 PMI recently finished "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence." Read it.

A Brzezinski favorite, how can you go wrong?

The man. The myth. The legend.

diomedes

Wow, could I take this topic and run!

But I won't.  No need to thank me, I know your gratitude very well.

I am just beginning The Far Side of the World, by Patrick O'Brian.  It is the 10th volume in a 20 volume series of historical fictions set at sea in the British Navy during the Napoleanic Wars.  The stories follow two friends: Captain Jack Aubrey, and his particular friend (and sea-going surgeon), Stephen Maturin, who also happens to be an intelligence agent.  The books are a very even mixture of the swashbuckling Dumas, the dark, fatalistic brooding Conrad, the historical accuracy translated into fiction of Vidal, and the society of Austen.  Absolutely fantastic read.  I figured I'd get bored after the first or second installment in the series, as I did with Herbert's Dune series, or so many others.  I have been very pleasantly surprised to find myself eating them up.  They are very literate, very deep stories, while at the same time also very human and technical.  I do not doubt that I will finish the entire series, or that I will reread them all again before I die.  Being half way through these books is like being halfway through Tolkein when you're a kid.  It's incredible, and there's still so much to come, but it's also sad, because the end is visible....

Gtrain

I'm almost done with Phantoms, by Dean Koontz, AWESOME BOOK, but if the ending sucks I'll let yah know.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: gtrain on March 26, 2002, 01:46:42 PMI'm almost done with Phantoms, by Dean Koontz, AWESOME BOOK, but if the ending sucks I'll let yah know.

Read "False Memory" and "From the Corner of His Eye" next...my favorite 2 Koontz books.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MURP

im working on a good book called "The Religions of Man." by  Huston Smith.  It covers the major religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.  Of course its not an extremely in depth book, cause it would take a hundred thousand pages to cover all those topics in depth.  Gives some interesting insight on the similarities and differences of these major religions.

(and no i dont want to get into a religious discussion on the board or anywhere for that matter, just wanted to share an interesting book if your into this kind of stuff.)

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: MURP on April 30, 2002, 09:03:12 PMim working on a good book called "The Religions of Man." by  Huston Smith.  It covers the major religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.  Of course its not an extremely in depth book, cause it would take a hundred thousand pages to cover all those topics in depth.  Gives some interesting insight on the similarities and differences of these major religions.

Another interesting book that I've read along those lines is "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong. It deals primarily with Christianity, Judaism and Islam, also provides excellent insights without going overboard.

satoshi

The Giver by Lois Lowry. This is designed for children, but it was interesting. ;)

Diomedes

I recently got some tapes of Eagles games from '89 and '90.  I'm 27 years old, and have been a fan since I was four, and I probably saw some of these games, but I was young, and if I did see any of them, I don't remember them like many of you do.  Likewise, names like Jerome Brown are not meaningless to me, but at the same time, they have never meant as much to me as they do to many of you, because I was busy being a kid.  I have been getting into Eagles history a bit more lately, and these tapes are helping a great deal.  I found a book called Broken Wing, Broken Promise, by Phil Anastasia, listed at Amazon today:

Furthermore, I found this summary of the book at the publisher's web site.

Has anyone read the book?  Is it worth buying?  Can anyone suggest a good Eagles history book?

Fan_Since_64

Quote from: Diomedes on May 16, 2002, 10:22:51 AMHas anyone read the book?  Is it worth buying?  Can anyone suggest a good Eagles history book?

Interesting, I'm not familiar with Anastasia's book, but it covers the same season as Bringing the Heat, by Mark Bowden. As a number of people on this board will confirm, Bringing the Heat is excellent, and I would highly recommend it.

There's also a book that came out in the last year about the 1960 Eagles championship team - I haven't read it yet, although I happen to know that FS61 got it for Christmas. It looks interesting, and I hope to have my own copy in the near future.

PhillyGirl

No one mentioned Pat Croce's "I Feel Great and you wiil too!"

I was surprised at how good this book was. I read it in one day...I would definitely suggest it. It really makes you realize what a good guy he is and what hard work can get you in life.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

joneszilla

False Memory was a pretty wild book.  Dark Rivers of the Heart, Intensity, & Sole Survivor were also good books by Koontz.  Last book i read was Lion of Ireland, it is a good read in the Braveheart mold but set in Ireland(struggle for freedom, wars, etc.).  I have read a lot of sci-fi/fantasy in the past and continue to read anything by Terry Goodkind.  His Sword of Truth series is excellent.