I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParkingLotFlagDude

Quote from: Wingspan on November 29, 2005, 04:51:20 PM

(i do agree though, and i am on the verge of getting a 42" samsung DLP...i use the site very frequently.

I bought a 43" Samsung DLP  last winter and LOVE it   :yay
Then I saw you doing sit-ups in front of a mall.  My dad told me that it was your house.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 30, 2005, 07:13:49 AM
Good info, Wingspan. My biggest issue with DLP and other rear-projection systems is off-angle viewing. Some models are pretty bad when you step just a few feet to one side, or even if you are sitting higher or lower than the ideal.

I believe most of the newer rear projection televisions have alleviated the off-angle viewing.

Cerevant

Quote from: Wingspan on November 29, 2005, 11:26:10 PM
there's relatively no difference between a DLP and a Plasma screen if you are further than 7 feet from the screen while viewing. no ones eyes are that good.
Agree

Quoteeven within 7 feet, it's very hard to tell the difference. almost impossible, considering that there are so few televisions that show true HD resolution (1080p)...there's a difference between converting it, and showing it true. and virtually nothing is actually broadcasted at 1080p. most of the broadcasts are at 720p or 720i.
False.  High definition is either 1080i or 720p.  No one broadcasts at 720i (waste of bandwidth) or 1080p (not enough bandwidth)
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Wingspan

Quote from: Cerevant on November 30, 2005, 09:38:42 AM
False.  High definition is either 1080i or 720p.  No one broadcasts at 720i (waste of bandwidth) or 1080p (not enough bandwidth)

i meant that as "i wasnt sure which off the top of my head" ;)
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Seabiscuit36

Now after buying my new Wega SXBR last weekend im trying to find the best deal on a HD Tivo from DTV.  Between looking at bestbuy/avsforum/dbsforum Im gonna be pissed off with any deal i get now.  Its from 225-550  :boo
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Quote from: Wingspan on November 30, 2005, 07:38:06 AMwhile plasma has the best angle veiwing. don't lump DLP with the standard rear projection (like the plasma myths), the DLP sets have a veiwing angles comparable to plasma.

DLP is just the mechanism for getting the image from the light souce to the screen. If the screen itself is junk, you'll still have issues with viewing angles.

But I understand what you're saying, since sets that have the newest technology (such as DLP) have improved their screens, as Thawk said.

PoopyfaceMcGee

All this chat is moot for the starter of this topic, because he said he wanted something in the 30-35" range.

Susquehanna Birder

Good point.

When I was shopping for HDTV, I was strongly considering a direct-view CRT model. But at the time, the screen size maxed out at about 36 inches, and I wanted to go larger. Plus, the suckers are heavy. But if I was to replace one of my secondary sets (in the 20-27 inch range), I'd strongly consider one of those.

Susquehanna Birder

Tomahawk

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 30, 2005, 11:54:41 AM
Good point.

When I was shopping for HDTV, I was strongly considering a direct-view CRT model. But at the time, the screen size maxed out at about 36 inches, and I wanted to go larger. Plus, the suckers are heavy. But if I was to replace one of my secondary sets (in the 20-27 inch range), I'd strongly consider one of those.

As you're well aware, I am an idiot so you shouldn't be surprised by my query of what the motherfarg is a "direct-view CRT" model? Is that a standard tube television (which present the best available picture)?

Wingspan

Quote from: Tomahawk on November 30, 2005, 12:53:17 PM
Good point.

As you're well aware, I am an idiot so you shouldn't be surprised by my query of what the motherfarg is a "direct-view CRT" model? Is that a standard tube television (which present the best available picture)?

yes.. the standard tube flat screen HDTVs
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Cerevant

Quote from: Wingspan on November 30, 2005, 12:59:31 PM
Quote from: Tomahawk on November 30, 2005, 12:53:17 PM
Good point.

yes.. the standard tube flat screen HDTVs
As opposed to rear-projection CRT TV's, which suck donkey balls.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Tomahawk

Cerevant

Quote from: Tomahawk on November 30, 2005, 02:31:12 PM
Ha Ha, nice job at quoting, bud.

Bite me.

What is it with every farging body this week?  Lotta farging hate going on...  I know the Eagles are losing, but JFC...

MURP

Quote from: Cerevant on November 30, 2005, 02:59:23 PM
Quote from: Tomahawk on November 30, 2005, 02:31:12 PM
Ha Ha, nice job at quoting, bud.

Bit me.

What is it with every farging body this week? Lotta farging hate going on... I know the Eagles are losing, but JFC...

Ha Ha, nice job at spelling, bud.   ;D