Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

It's been gaining currency for a while now, long before that show.  Like board games, there has been a long running increase in pasttimes that bring people together.  A lot of us want contact and companionship in real life, not just virtually.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Celebrity nerds were the start of it. Will Wheaton has (had) a youtube channel all about playing board games and D&D with minor celebrities. That expanded out into The McElroy brothers being non-threatening weirdos and voice actor Matt Mercer running their own campaigns that people loved watching.

Now everyone is streaming their campaigns on the Twitch or the youtubes.

The man. The myth. The legend.

General_Failure

So if anyone was looking to get this year's Madden, fargin' dont.

Zanshin

Quote from: General_Failure on August 30, 2020, 06:43:42 PM
So if anyone was looking to get this year's Madden, fargin' dont.

Someone bought me last year's edition, or I wouldn't even have that...and I was a die-hard player for decades. No innovation beyond pandering to microtransactions to make even more money. I daresay they had better features and comparable gameplay dating back to the early 2000s.

SD

Haven't turned on my Xbox since 2017. Read about this game pass deal...it's currently $1 for the first 3 months then $14.99 a month after and you can cancel anytime. There's a ton of games on there so I'm jumping back in since I'm off until the 30th.

General_Failure

Game pass is the best entertainment deal in the world right now, even at full price.

SD

n/a

SD

Quote from: General_Failure on December 18, 2020, 03:58:54 PM
Game pass is the best entertainment deal in the world right now, even at full price.

From about the time I posted that until now I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order. Wasn't a fan at first but once you get used to everything it gets better. It's more of a prince of Persia/Assassins Creed knock off than it is a Star Wars game.

Any game recommendations? I downloaded Batman even though I heard it was so so (I was a fan if Arkham Asylum)...plan on hitting up the Gears of Wars games too...forget where I left off it's been so long

General_Failure

Alien: Isolation is a pretty good survival horror game. It's probably the only time the Alien license has been put to good use since Aliens.

The Halo games got remastered, they're on there.

The new Doom games are fun and lean into the idea that all of Hell is terrified of one space marine.

A Plague Tale is a little rough on the voice acting, but pretty good.

Hellblade is an amazing story with the best mocap I've ever seen anywhere.

SD

Nice 👍

I'll probably do a Halo replay (1-4 and Reach) at some point. Infinite looks great.

Doom has always been hit or miss with me but I'll check it out

Had to look up what mocap means.

Geowhizzer

Apparently, Farmville is shutting down.  My mother will be devastated.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1344621592073089024

General_Failure

All the Flash games are doing away at midnight. It's no longer being supported.

Diomedes

Our family got a Switch for Christmas. 

Breath of the Wild is great.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on December 31, 2020, 03:27:58 PM
Our family got a Switch for Christmas. 

Breath of the Wild is great.

My 13-year-old got one from her brother.  We'll never see her again.

General_Failure

Animal Crossing got me through March to July this year.