Jason Peters - Philadelphia Eagle

Started by mikey418, April 17, 2009, 01:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

QuoteA great success story for the Bills, Peters was an undrafted tight end out of Arkansas. The Bills turned him into an offensive lineman and he ended up starting 10 games by his second season. Buffalo eventually turned him into one of the best left tackles in the game.

Even though this is a good move, it makes even more sense to me now

NGM

Love the trade, gives them a lot more freedom in the draft. 

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this now:
21. Heyward-Bey
53. Rashad Jennings
85. TE
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Feva

I like it. Not as flashy as a stud WR, but it fills a big time need.

Peters - Manneans - Jackson - Andrews - Andrews.... Pretty damn good.

The only thing that throws up a flag for me is that Peters is considered an elite run blocker and decent pass blocker... he'll be on Donovan's blind side and we all know Andy's not changing his style of offense.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

Rome

If they got an all-pro LT for nothing more than a late first rounder and a fourth this year (plus whatever next - who cares) then I'd say it's a steal, especially if they're going to use him correctly.

PhillyPhanInDC

I was actually just thinking some similar things Feva. Stacey Andrews is also pretty solid as a run blocker.

It's a pipe dream, but imagine if they swapped MJG for Herremans and put Cole in at center and drafted a guy like Unger or Eric Wood to play center, then decided they were going to pound the ball with Moreno and BWest. That'd be a lot of beef to run behind. Sadly, it'll still be pass pass pass, but McNabb might not touch the ground more than 15 times all season.

The Peters addition will be most apparent when running left this season. Thomas was always great as a pass protector, but left a lot to be desired in the run game, especially the past couple of years. Peters is a mauler, put MJG next to him and smash people in the mouth running left.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Magical_Retard

I like it and dont like it. It sures up the OLINE but no more Boldin, Ocho, or Edwards. No chance now.

Oh well so whos the best back ppl predict to be available at #21? I think they take a TE over a RB.

My personal prediction is that they will trade out of the first.
Marge: I have someone who can help you!
Homer: Is it BATMAN!!??
Marge: No hes a scientist
Homer: Batman is a scientist.
Marge: Its not BATMAN!

Eagaholic

Quote from: rjs246 on April 17, 2009, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: BigEd76 on April 17, 2009, 02:25:51 PM
Even better news: it almost guarantees that #21 will be used on an offensive skill position, and we don't have to worry about some stiff like Eben Britton

Two Pro Bowl OTs that are 6 years younger than the guys they replaced.  Not bad...

And as mentioned before, Peters was a teammate of Shawn at Arkansas...

So wait, Shawn now has his brother and a college teammate playing with him on the line?

I officially refuse to believe that Reid isn't concerned with Andrews' mental state and is taking uncharacteristic steps to mitigate the problem...

AR just signed Andrews' pops to play center.

Kenzinger

Newbie here.  :yay

This is a terrific deal for the Eagles - LT was a serious area of concern and there's NO WAY they were getting anyone nearly as good as Peters at 1.28. Second-day picks are a crapshoot and we don't have enough roster spots for 12 rookies anyway. Assuming they work out a deal with Peters this is a flat out great trade and I must give props to the FO after trashing them pretty routinely these past few years.

This move pretty much guarantees the first round pick is either a TE, RB or help on defense. I'd love to see the Eagles draft Pettigew at 1.21, then trade up toward the top of the 2nd to draft Donald Brown or McCoy. I'd even be happy if they added to the OL by nabbing Mack or Unger to challenge Jamaal Jackson at center.

Since they always manage to piss me off somehow I imagine we're going to either deal out of the first or draft somebody like Ayers or a DB.

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagaholic

Quote from: hbionic on April 17, 2009, 03:04:18 PM
I have nothing to add.

You can always detract

If they get Pettigrew they could turn into a terrific run blocking line. RBs would be ripping off 10+ yard rushes 4 or 5 times a game. Or however many times they run the ball.

PoopyfaceMcGee

I am really glad that they took a couple of picks they would have farged up off the table, are going to shell out the money, and got a great young player for the offense.

But, if they could have made the same deal for Boldin, maybe they should have.  Or maybe not.  I don't farging know.

I'm going to rate this move a solid B.

Eagaholic

Between the two I'd rather have Peters than Boldin, though Peters may have more downside.

General_Failure

Quote from: FastFreddie on April 17, 2009, 03:09:46 PM
But, if they could have made the same deal for Boldin, maybe they should have.  Or maybe not.  I don't farging know.

They could still do a deal for Boldin. They won't even think about it, but they could.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Quote from: General_Failure on April 17, 2009, 03:16:59 PM
Quote from: FastFreddie on April 17, 2009, 03:09:46 PM

They could still do a deal for Boldin. They won't even think about it, but they could.

You're only saying that because you want King Cole to be right.

General_Failure

I'm only saying that because the track record with these chuckleheads is very clear.

The man. The myth. The legend.