Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

I'll admit that despite the fact that I played when I was young I never seriously watched international soccer until 2002. It started as sort of a novelty act watching the US play, but as I watched other (better) international teams I got really into it. It's an amazingly complex sport, not coordinated second by second to the level of american football, but there's so much more improvisation that it really is impressive.

You'd be hard pressed to find better sporting events than international soccer tournaments.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on July 09, 2009, 09:50:35 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find better sporting events than international soccer tournaments.

a preseason football game?

i love the pretentious subbuteo playing eurotrashy soccer fans always pre empting every soccer conversation about how its really complex and hard to understand so that when people tell them how bad the sport sucks than can say you just dont understand it

it would be easier to just say our game blows but we love it and move on....much like polo jai lai and other games of the like do...those fans dont try and convert people and scream and yell how awesome the sport is and try to shove it down peoples throats...just enjoy it and stop screaming at america to like your sport and we can all live in peace
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

You enjoy repeating yourself.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

when it comes to defending my countries sports yes

rjs246

No one is attacking any of your country's sports here, jingoist.

Except for baseball, I'll attack baseball, because it's boring. But if you want I'll start a separate thread about that.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

for starters and most importantly more soccer on tv here means less hockey or at the very minimum the chance for more hockey

but really more soccer means less of all other sports none of which are worse than soccer with the exception of nascar

you gotta look big picture here....the more popular soccer gets in our country the worse off we all are

rjs246

Soccer is not played in the winter and never ever takes air time from hockey.

They could play nothing but international soccer from june through august and bump every single baseball game off of the air and we'd all be much better off.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

you definitely have euro blood running thru your veins...when you tout some faggy british game over americas pastime its time reevaluate life

QB Eagles

The World Cup is the apex of international sport, especially compared to the dull exercise of the Olympics. There are too many winners... in the World Cup one country wins and everyone else is a loser.

Couldn't care less about the other tournaments and leagues, although I do wish a European soccer-like system of promotion and relegation was introduced into American sports. The Pirates would have been relegated a decade ago.

Diomedes

Living in NYC in 2002, working for a brit and french owned company, World Cup was a big deal.  There were employees from all over the world, but lots of French and Brits.  The broadcasts were super early in the morning because the games were in South Korea.  This was of course reason enough to get drunk before 7 a.m., which many of us did.  What the hell is not to like about this, right?  The bars were full of people having a good time, it was fun.

Somebody at the company got the security guys downstairs to hold up the scores in front of all the losers (and a few winners) as they walked in the building through that tournament.  France lost to Senegal in the first round and one of the Brit employees managed to hang a Senegalese flag on a French Executive's door before he came in from having watched the game.  That kind of shtein was fun.

I like watching soccer, especially when it's played at the highest level.  The game I saw last night is not the highest level by any stretch of the imagination, but it was two national teams competing for a win that meant more than nothing.  Maybe not much more--the U.S. started a B team, resting the players who just performed so well in the Confederations cup--but nevertheless it was pretty good soccer.  The first U.S. goal was fun, watching it develop live was pretty thrilling.

The crowd was completely different than any other pro sporting event I've attended: far more cosmopolitan, with people from all over the Americas as well as Europoeans, Africans, etc.  And also far poorer on average than any other crowd I've seen.

I don't really know much about the sport.  Others here have actually been to Premier or World Cup games.  I only vaguely follow what's going on myself, but I am looking forward to World Cup 2010.  I plan to watch a lot of soccerdrink a lot of beer in bars.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 09, 2009, 10:16:32 PM
you definitely have euro blood running thru your veins...when you tout some faggy british game over americas pastime its time reevaluate life

Oh no, what ever shall I do. Fat men lumbering around at the speed of sleep will never ever qualify as a sport.

It's an enjoyable pastime for lazy days when there isn't shtein else to do, but calling baseball a sport is a joke.

Last response. We've already had this conversation. Like I said, if you want me to start a thread about how farging slow and unathletic baseball is, I'll be happy to.

Let them eat bootstraps.

QB Eagles

Another great thing about soccer: seeing those tight-assed refs running up to a player and flashing a colored card right in their faces. Baseball ejections are the only thing that comes close to the level of humorous confrontation between official and player.

Munson

Disregarding every other sport....Soccer is terrible, not close to enjoyable to watch on TV, barely enjoyable to play, if at all.....a bit enjoyable if you're actually at the game.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on July 09, 2009, 10:17:02 PMThe World Cup is the apex of international sport, especially compared to the dull exercise of the Olympics.

I completely agree.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

I support the U.S. team in International play.  I do wish they had a chant or a song that didn't sound like a goddamned George Bush/Wrestling match crowd.