2006 fantasy football who to start thread

Started by ice grillin you, September 01, 2006, 12:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

I think I'll draft Jabar Gaffney in the 7th round instead.

Dillen

Braylon Edwards vs NO
Matt Jones vs DAL

Yes, Edwards is starting. Who do I play.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

reese125

Cards coach Dennis Green isn't ready to announce his starting offensive line.  (Maybe Green is hoping to keep RB Edgerrin James from slipping into clinical depression upon seeing the list.) E James is in trouble this year...no question

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0907cardsgreen0907.html

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: reese125 on September 07, 2006, 11:41:13 AM
Cards coach Dennis Green isn't ready to announce his starting offensive line.  (Maybe Green is hoping to keep RB Edgerrin James from slipping into clinical depression upon seeing the list.) E James is in trouble this year...no question

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0907cardsgreen0907.html

Way to copy and paste from another site and not even reference it. Good info.  :boo
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

reese125

whats there to reference dense boy? read the article--its obviously about the O-line.

phattymatty

PhillyPhanInDC

I like that you call me "dense boy" when it's obvious you were trying to make it seem like you came up with the following witty blurb:
PFT.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

Cards coach Dennis Green isn't ready to announcehis starting offensive line .  (Maybe Green is hoping to keep RB Edgerrin James from slipping into clinical depression upon seeing the list.)

Asshat.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Do I start Fred Taylor hosting DAL or Julius Jones at JAX?  I'm conflicted and need guidance.

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 07, 2006, 12:40:26 PM
Do I start Fred Taylor hosting DAL or Julius Jones at JAX? I'm conflicted and need guidance.

I'd say both are pretty tough match-ups, but JAX is a beast at stopping the run. So I'd go Taylor. Better to get what use out of him you can before he breaks himself.

Footballguys.com says:

Jacksonville Jaguars Rushing Offense vs Dallas Cowboys Rushing Defense (Neutral Matchup)

Fred Taylor has missed some practices recently with a sore shoulder, but looks like he is on track to start on Sunday as of early this week. He's been up and down during training camp, but posted decent numbers during the week 3 pre-season tune up, with 9/37/0 rushing and 2/18/0 receiving. He's the best option the Jaguars have, so look for him to get the ball a lot in the opener, while being spelled by #2 Maurice Jones-Drew (10/42/0 rushing during week 3 of pre-season). The Jaguars tied for 16th in the NFL last season, averaging 3.9 yards per carry, while Taylor appeared in 11 games for 194/787/3 rushing and 13/83/0 receiving. He'll need to stay healthier this year if he is to exceed those numbers during 2006.

Dallas' rush D ranked 15th in the NFL last year, giving up an average of 108.2 rushing yards per game, while surrendering 13 rushing scores (17th in the league). As you can see, they're a pretty average lot in this phase of the game. Free agent import Akinola Ayodele (from Jacksonville, by the way) will help solidify the middle of the defense this year, and should be very familiar with Taylor's tendencies.

The Jaguars offense is mediocre in this phase, as are the Cowboys. At Jacksonville, this looks like a fairly even matchup.

Weather: The forecast for Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville calls for a high of 89F and a low of 72F with a 30% chance for rain. If the sky opens up during the game, footing and ball handling could become issues for the players in this contest.

The official NFL injury report will not be available until after our deadline to post the week 1 matchups. Please refer to the week 1 injury report for the latest injury news regarding your players.

Dallas Cowboys Rushing Offense at Jacksonville Jaguars Rushing Defense (Tough Matchup)

The worst-case scenario for Julius Jones' fantasy owners is playing out this pre-season, as the team is planning on going with a running back by committee between Jones and Marion Barber III. Said Jones late in August "I think we're going to do what we did last year as far as the reps. I think whoever the hot back is or has the hot hand, then we're going to leave him in there. It's my job to produce, or I'm not going to be playing." The initial plan is to have Jones in for 1st and 2nd down, with Barber taking the 3rd-down and short-yardage situations. A RBBC, in which last year Jones produced 257/993/5 rushing and 35/218/0 receiving, while Barber posted 138/538/5 rushing and 18/115/0 receiving. It looks like more of the same is on tap heading into 2006, at least for week 1.

Jacksonville enjoys a just reputation for being a dominant defense, but last year they were merely average vs. opposing rushers as far as yards allowed was concerned, handing over an average of 106.8 rushing yards per game (14th in the NFL). However, in the red-zone they put up a brick wall, allowing a mere 4 rushing TDs over 16 games (1st in the NFL). One concern for the star-packed lineup is that MLB Mike Peterson suffered a sprained MCL during the 3rd pre-season game, but the team is optimistic that he'll be ready for this home season-opener. DT Marcus Stroud also sat out the final pre-season game, but coach Del Rio commented on 9/2/06 that "We believe we're going to get them all back" for the opening game.

The Cowboys were tied for 25th in the league last year with a 3.6 yards-per-carry average as a team - their committee approach didn't yield huge results. The approach continues week 1, though - against the hard-nosed Jaguars in the Jaguars' house, we think this is a tough matchup for Jones and Barber.

Weather: The forecast for Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville calls for a high of 89F and a low of 72F with a 30% chance for rain. If the sky opens up during the game, footing and ball handling could become issues for the players in this contest.

The official NFL injury report will not be available until after our deadline to post the week 1 matchups. Please refer to the week 1 injury report for the latest injury news regarding your players.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 07, 2006, 12:41:57 PM
So I'd go Taylor. Better to get what use out of him you can before he breaks himself.

Sadly, that was my exact line of thinking as well.

reese125

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 07, 2006, 12:40:20 PM
I like that you call me "dense boy" when it's obvious you were trying to make it seem like you came up with the following witty blurb:
PFT.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

Cards coach Dennis Green isn't ready to announcehis starting offensive line .  (Maybe Green is hoping to keep RB Edgerrin James from slipping into clinical depression upon seeing the list.)

Asshat.

Phanin, I think its pretty obvious by the writing that Im not trying to come up with anything, when 3/4 of the forum goes to profootballtalk.com every day. people like you try to be slick and call people out like you discovered CIA info. let it go big guy, I dont need to impress anyone here

Diomedes

I decided to sit Hines Ward and start Antonio Bryant.  I figure that Ward has a nagging injury, and is playing with a backup QB, so he will likely be limited at best.  I will probably regret doing this, as it's my money league.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

jesus reese you never fargin quit. just admit your wrong 99.9% of the time you post. your worthless attempts at redemption are really really really annoying. just go away or someone just ban already.  :boom :boom :boom :boom :boom
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on September 07, 2006, 05:32:44 PM
I decided to sit Hines Ward and start Antonio Bryant.  I figure that Ward has a nagging injury, and is playing with a backup QB, so he will likely be limited at best.  I will probably regret doing this, as it's my money league.

I don't think it was a bad choice. I would've done the same. Bryant will probably have a better game than Ward, as Batch is a joke.