We're All Gonna Die

Started by Geowhizzer, March 07, 2020, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

The feeling is mutual.  They can have it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

I've heard some mind boggling stories over the years about Texas education, especially the teachings of Texas history. I guess it's easier to delete evolution theory when you are missing an opposable thumb.

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

bleach cocktails afterwards?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

But yeah driving through most of Texas sans the western panhandle and the southern border area, I can conclude it is mostly a barren wasteland of awful.

Even the diner food at the Midpoint Cafe was subpar compared to other diner food. The place itself was cool though. Austin was pretty cool too, though I wouldn't say it had anything that made me like it more than any other city tbh. The LBJ Presidential Library was great though.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Texas is just Australia, but with Mexicans instead of Indonesians.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Quote from: Munson on May 23, 2020, 02:16:21 PMAustin was pretty cool too, though I wouldn't say it had anything that made me like it more than any other city tbh. The LBJ Presidential Library was great though.

If Austin were in a civilized State, it would be nothing special, just another big college town with a lot of artists, etc.  But since it's in Texas, everyone is crazy for it.  I wasn't impressed. 

Put St. Louis in the middle of Syria and it would seem fantastic, too.

Eagaholic

Quote from: Diomedes on May 23, 2020, 02:16:00 PM
bleach cocktails afterwards?
Lol. I know trump doesn't like alcohol. Not sure if he realized or not that his choice of bleach as a disinfectant is a make everything whiter innuendo.

General_Failure

Roughly half the Twitter accounts pushing to 'reopen America' are bots, researchers found

QuoteCarnegie Mellon University researchers analyzed over 200 million tweets discussing COVID-19 and related issues since January and found that roughly half the accounts — including 62% of the 1,000 most influential retweeters — appeared to be bots, they said in a report published this week.

That's a far higher level of bot activity than usual, even when it comes to contentious events — the level of bot involvement in discussions about things like US elections or natural disasters is typically 10% to 20%.

Rome

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/24/us/ozarks-missouri-party/index.html

Nice to know where the epicenter for the next avalanche of infections will be located. 

Munson

Geowhizzer

General_Failure

Despite our best efforts, Brazil has passed the US in daily corona deaths.

General_Failure

Welcome to the SD Memorial Thread. Where U.S. coronavirus cases are on the rise

QuoteTwenty U.S. states reported an increase in new cases of COVID-19 for the week ended May 24, up from 13 states in the prior week, as the death toll from the novel coronavirus approaches 100,000, according to a Reuters analysis.

South Carolina had the biggest weekly increase at 42%. Alabama's new cases rose 28% from the previous week, Missouri's rose 27% and North Carolina's rose 26%, according to the analysis of data from The COVID Tracking Project, a volunteer-run effort to track the outbreak.

New cases in Georgia, one of the first states to reopen, rose 21% after two weeks of declines. (Open tmsnrt.rs/2WTOZDR in an external browser for a Reuters interactive)

Nationally, new cases of COVID-19 fell 0.8% for the week ended May 24, compared with a decline of 8% in the prior week. All 50 states have now at least partially reopened, raising fears among some health officials of a second wave of outbreaks. The increase in cases could also be due to more testing.

Diomedes

It would be nice to know how much of the increase can be attributed to increased testing, and how much to relaxed public health protections.