Philadelphia

Started by Diomedes, October 19, 2006, 12:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

I don't care about huge tax increases on other people!

Now when it hits my pocket, ok brother, we got itchoos!!

rjs246

You can't possibly be this dense so I'll just leave it where it is. You continue to have a sad because poisonous carbonated sugar water is slightly more expensive in the midst of an obesity epidemic and I'll continue to support good tax policies that fund public education.

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: rjs246 on May 26, 2016, 03:05:01 PM
Or maybe, to phrase it a little differently, if you're drinking so much soda that a .03/oz tax is going to materially impact your bottom line, maybe that money could be better spent elsewhere.

the syrup is taxed not the fountain soda...im not saying the retail price of sodas wont go up penny for penny but its important to note that the buyer is not be taxed initially...the cost of product goes up all the time and you don't always see a price hike or even if you do it isn't necessarily penny for penny...there is fine line bwtn raising prices and negatively effecting sales

Quote from: Rome on May 26, 2016, 03:09:51 PM
A 32 ounce soda is 69 cents at a gas station, right?

Now that same product costs $1.65 or 239% more because of a tax. 

That is straight up bullshtein and don't tell me it doesn't affect the poor disproportionately because it does.

again the tax is not charged at the register...I can almost guarantee the corporations and the retailers will not pass an increase like that onto the consumer...but even if some do...guess what you can buy something non poisonous instead

since you are soooooo concerned with the poor people of Philadelphia let me be the first to tell you no one is now going to spend their rent money on soda.....no one should ever be buying a 32 oz soda period...rich or poor...if this makes X number of people healthier which it undoubtedly will then its a great thing...oh by the way keep ignoring the impact of universal pre k and all the other things the tax will fund and greatly improve the lives of poor people

bottom line is you don't give a rats ass about the poor people in the city....you just hate the government or love soda

fyi most poor people in the city don't drive....so the gas station fountain sodas you are talking about are normally gobbled up by largely middle class working people...the bottled sodas and juices at the corner bodega is what the poor drink

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on May 26, 2016, 03:19:33 PM
I'm just sick of government slowly finding new ways to farg the consumer. Soda taxes may be just a tiny thing, but it's indicative of a longer term problem.

whats the longer term problem that is connected to something like a soda cigarette or alcohol tax...im always legitimately interested in how civilization is going to eventually fall because of something like this
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Rome on May 26, 2016, 03:21:09 PM
I don't care about huge tax increases on other people!

Now when it hits my pocket, ok brother, we got itchoos!!

If they did it in Houston id be for it.

rjs246

Right? I'm a giant booze hound and I pay handsomely for the privilege thanks to our tax code. Guess what, I have never and will never bitch about it. I've made my choices and I know the costs. No one is forcing me to drink my face off five nights a week.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed.

And the whole distribution of the monies collected is another thing. But if I'm paying an increased tax (esp sales or property) and see it's a sham or being pissed away then you go after the council members and mayor.

But yeah I go back to junk food and things of that nature should be harder to get and the healthy options cheaper.

If the soda is $0.75 and the juice is $1.99 the poor folks buy the soda. Flip the script and make the soda more than the healthy option. Same in fast food.

smeags

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on May 26, 2016, 02:28:37 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on May 26, 2016, 01:29:38 PMThey're encouraging healthier behavior by enacting a tax. Oh, and funding education all the while.

That's the big, feel-good smokescreen. They aren't changing behavior, and they know it. Politicians and bureaucrats take advantage of vices to create new lines of revenue. They tell us how they will help us all, while they line their pockets and build more bureaucracy that requires more and more money and influence to keep it all going.

this is where im at on this pretty much. it's not just going to be on soda either so people should save that arguement if it's your basis of your debate, it's anything over a certain sugar level which will include juices and other drinks.

lastly and most importantly than the tax is, I do not trust the philly city council nor the board of education. this is going to fail.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

Quote from: rjs246 on May 26, 2016, 04:35:00 PM
Right? I'm a giant booze hound and I pay handsomely for the privilege thanks to our tax code. Guess what, I have never and will never bitch about it. I've made my choices and I know the costs. No one is forcing me to drink my face off five nights a week.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm totally rooting for you drinking yourself to death.

rjs246

You wish. Sorry suckers, I'm farging indestructible.

Let them eat bootstraps.

smeags

getting warm and fuzzy in here.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

Quote from: rjs246 on May 27, 2016, 01:55:59 PM
You wish. Sorry suckers, I'm farging indestructible.

More soda & less beer. 

ice grillin you

I don't think we should have taxes anywhere of any kind....I mean whats the point...the meanie govt is just going to steal the money any way

Susquehanna Birder

Nobody said that taxes aren't necessary. But constantly finding new and interesting ways to slowly bleed the populace to support an ever-growing, money sucking political machine is not necessary.

ice grillin you

if you don't like soda cigarette or alcohol taxes that's one thing....i dont like my taxes going to the military...but you (and others) have said repeatedly that you are against this also because they will just steal the money...and that argument cant just apply to a soda tax it has to apply to all taxes

Rome

I work for the farging government.  I know taxes are essential.  I know governmental services are essential.  I'm saying that this particular tax proposal is onerous.  Do you understand the difference between being for most things but against others?  The world is not binary, IGY.