Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 22, 2010, 07:58:22 AM
Quote from: SD on June 20, 2010, 11:00:53 PM
Guy isn't going to shut the opposing team down every time he takes the mound.

no one wants or expects him to do that but for two months now hes given up more hits than innigs pitched and is 4-6...and included in that is his perfect game...great pitchers just dont do that...and two months is not a small window...yes the offense has shtein the bed for him on a few occasions but really since his amazing start hes been just a good pitcher

He's gone less than 7 innings in 2 starts this year, and has give up more than 4 earned runs 3 times. And if you look back at his entire career you'll see he hits some "bad" streaks  almost every season. And two months is a small window when it's a pitcher, you're talking about 10 games.

In 10 games in 2 months, he has 3 complete games, 1 perfect game, only walked 13 batters. He's lost 2 games where he only gave up 2 ER...

I mean really, what more can you expect?

ice grillin you

i dont expect anything more...im just saying hes overrated the way people treat him like a god

hes not even a top three pitcher in his division
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 22, 2010, 08:45:09 AM
hes not even a top three pitcher in his division

Must...............resist..............

BigEd76

Strasburg, Josh Johnson and BIG PELF duh.  Probably .500-with-declining-velocity Johan Santana too, right? Oh and Tim Hudson.  So Roy isn't even top 5 in his division.

ice grillin you

santana is done...he awful...hudson is garbage and all smoke and mirrors

strasberg is easily better
josh johnson
yes on big pelf
and HOF hanson is right with him

halladay just has to many starts where he gives up 5+ er or 10 hits to be considered elite this year....i think hes a really good pitcher hes just not transformational like a lot of phille fans thought/think he is

SunMo

lol HOF hanson right with him, that dude is mediocre
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

his stuff is second in the division to strasbergs...hes not as good as halladay but hes not far off either...when he learns how to pitch...hes only in his second year...

he will lap halladay probably next year

ice grillin you

JIMMY ROLLINS isn't Superman. He's not a savior or the magic elixir that will cure everything that has been ailing the Phillies during their monthlong swoon.

He is, however, a spark-plug leadoff hitter. The Phillies were 103-34 (.752) when he scored a run over the last two seasons, both of which ended in the World Series. He has won three straight Gold Gloves at shortstop, a crucial defensive position. He also possesses an intangible effervescence that can energize an entire roster.

J-Roll has appeared in just 11 games this season. That isn't the only explanation for the fact that the defending National League champions open tonight's interleague series against the Cleveland Indians in third place, 5 1/2 games behind the pace-setting Atlanta Braves. But it's as good a place as any to start.

As of last night, the Phillies still hadn't announced when the 2007 National League MVP would be activated from the disabled list for the second time this season.

It could be as early as tonight.

It can't happen a moment too soon for a team that has lost 19 of its last 30 games.

All that's known for sure is that he played five games on a rehab assignment with the Clearwater Threshers. He flew back to Philadelphia on Sunday. The right calf he strained moments before the home opener and then aggravated less than a week into his comeback has been re-evaluated.

Manager Charlie Manuel expressed hope on Sunday that Rollins would be ready tonight; yesterday's news blackout could be an ominous sign or it simply could be a team being extra cautious before finalizing the roster move.

Men don't share their emotions easily, but centerfielder Shane Victorino felt strongly enough about the subject to approach Rollins recently before he left for Florida.

"I brought it up a couple weeks ago. I'm not one of those guys who usually says things like this, but I really felt how much we miss him. And I told him. I said, 'You can really tell how much you're missed here,' " the Flyin' Hawaiian said after Sunday's loss to the Twins.

"I think what Jimmy brings is not just one part of the game. He brings every aspect of the game. Defense, offense, charisma, energy, baserunning. When you lose a guy like that who's an MVP, you lose a lot.

"Everybody knows we miss him. Everybody knows there's that guy that's missing on the field. And that's him. I don't care if he's 0-for-50 at the plate. He goes out and plays great defense. He can steal a base and score a run. That's what he brings."

Then, almost as if to make sure that didn't sound too sappy, he added a smart-alecky postscript.

"Will he be the answer? I have no idea. I hope he is so we can give him all the glory in the world, like he loves to have. I hope he is the answer so we can say, 'Praise you!' " Victorino said with a grin, mock-bowing in the general direction of Rollins' empty locker.

"Hopefully he is the answer so I can say, 'Hey, you got it. You're the answer.' "

Victorino will be directly impacted when Rollins returns. He has been filling in at the top of the order but most likely will return to the sixth or seventh spot in the order when Rollins is deemed to be 100 percent.

First baseman Ryan Howard is one of Rollins' closest friends. His eyes lit up when asked what the shortstop can add.

"I think Jimmy helps bring that extra bit of swagger back to the team," he said with a chuckle. "Obviously, Jimmy's not the bashful one for talking. And when he goes out in the media and he makes his predictions or whatnot, he makes those predictions because he believes in what our team can do and what we're capable of doing. And we go out there and do our best to try to back him up. He definitely brings that leadership role back into the game. It will be good to have him back."

SD

Anyone going to Saturdays game? There's about 40 of us going, second dude who ran onto the field will be there signing autographs. K 9 in the Linc lot.

SunMo

Quote from: SD on June 22, 2010, 12:26:17 PM
second dude who ran onto the field will be there signing autographs.

i hope somebody shanks him
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

charlie

Quote from: SD on June 22, 2010, 12:26:17 PM
Anyone going to Saturdays game? There's about 40 of us going, second dude who ran onto the field will be there signing autographs. K 9 in the Linc lot.

Will he be selling "Got Tasered?" shirts too?

SD

doubtful since he didn't get tasered. Maybe "got weed' or something along those lines.

charlie

In that case, I am going now to line up.

MDS

who would want an autograph of someone douchetool who ran on the field the night after the tazer kid

besides ****
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.