Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Why would your 'friend' refuse to talk to YOU? It's not like you cheated. Or did you? Either way who cares, cheater.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on May 17, 2010, 04:05:36 PM
Why would your 'friend' refuse to talk to YOU? It's not like you cheated. Or did you? Either way who cares, cheater.

huh? Its a biz associate. He's from LA, big time Dodgers fan. Hates Victorino ("and his wife Utley too")  :-D
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

just what jimmy needs coming off the injury to be put in a spot where he can swing for the fences and ruin all the momentums and high ob% he started the year with
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 17, 2010, 04:02:55 PM
Monday, May 17, 2010
Rollins to return, hit third

Jimmy Rollins is back, but not hitting in his conventional leadoff spot.

Rollins will hit third tonight against Pittsburgh in his first appearance of the season at Citizens Bank Park. He strained his calf before the home opener April 12 and has not played since.

Shane Victorino will remain in the leadoff spot tonight.

Chase Utley will not play tonight, so Placido Polanco will play second and hit second, followed by Rollins, Ryan Howard, Jayson Werth and Raul Ibanez.

Greg Dobbs will start at third and hit seventh, with Carlos Ruiz hitting ninth.

Rollins made one rehab appearance for Clearwater and spent a week in extended spring training before his return.

is toronto in town?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: LBIggle on May 17, 2010, 03:31:29 PM
Quote from: smeags on May 17, 2010, 03:28:42 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 17, 2010, 03:16:56 PM
I have a client of mine who is a Dodgers fan and seriously refuses to talk Baseball with me anymore. He says they steal signs and they are not a legitimate team and he will not talk baseball with me anymore.

Seriously.

the irony there is off the charts considering he has a farging cheater on his team in manny.

yeah, really.  maybe he wouldn't be so pissed about it if he wasn't roid raging.

I think it's safe to say that every single team in baseball right now has at least 1 prominant or semi-prominant player on their roster who used roids or some other ped.  Some have been outted, others haven't.  JC Romero was suspended for 50 games last year for using a banned substance during the 08 season....you know, when he was unhittable and the Phils won the WS. 

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 17, 2010, 04:25:55 PM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 17, 2010, 04:02:55 PM
Monday, May 17, 2010
Rollins to return, hit third

Jimmy Rollins is back, but not hitting in his conventional leadoff spot.

Rollins will hit third tonight against Pittsburgh in his first appearance of the season at Citizens Bank Park. He strained his calf before the home opener April 12 and has not played since.

Shane Victorino will remain in the leadoff spot tonight.

Chase Utley will not play tonight, so Placido Polanco will play second and hit second, followed by Rollins, Ryan Howard, Jayson Werth and Raul Ibanez.

Greg Dobbs will start at third and hit seventh, with Carlos Ruiz hitting ninth.

Rollins made one rehab appearance for Clearwater and spent a week in extended spring training before his return.

is toronto in town?

No, he's pitching.   

PhillyGirl

Romero was using some shtein from GNC that was banned.

Manny was juicing and got caught using fertility drugs to mask it.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

As its already been discussed, I bitch because I don't like what Amaro did. I hated giving up Lee. Accept it or not, it was farging stupid. Epically stupid. They're printing cash down there and they sent him packing so they would not have to pay him and Halladay. The guise of trading him for prospects to re-stock the farm is and was bullshtein. You take Halladay, Lee and Hamels with the core of Utley, Howard, Rollins, Werth and Victorino and win as much as you can.

I didn't like them letting Ho Chi Minh go.

I didn't like them relying on Moyer and Kendrick to fill out the rotation.

I didn't like not having a viable back up for Lidge. Madson is not that guy.

What if Romero's elbow hadn't responded? What if it blows up? Whose your LH from the pen? basticho? Escalona? Zagurski?

I love what they did in 2008. Best day of my life when they won. And because I don't shovel praise upon Amaro, don't kill me and certainly don't tell me I'm some whiner because I don't agree with something.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 17, 2010, 04:38:04 PM

6 one way, a half dozen the other.  Whatever Romero popped for was banned and banned for a reason.  I don't care what a player pops for or what team he plays for.  You test positive for a banned substance, you're a farging cheater.  To chastise Manny and not Romero is hypocrisy at it's best.   

That said, they both popped.  They both got suspended and served their suspensions so I'm done bitching about it.

Coincidentally, they've both also been a shell of their former selves since then. 

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on May 17, 2010, 05:00:31 PM

They offered him $3 million, he turned it down because he wanted to be a starter. Nobody wanted him in that role so the Phillies moved on and he signed with the Yankees for $1.5 million. Can't really fault the Phillies in that situation. The rest of the bullpen is fine. Lidge will be fine, and even if he's not they easily won the NL last season and he blew. I like Contreras in the closers role.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on May 17, 2010, 05:04:52 PM

They offered him $3 million, he turned it down because he wanted to be a starter. Nobody wanted him in that role so the Phillies moved on and he signed with the Yankees for $1.5 million. Can't really fault the Phillies in that situation.

Agreed.

QuoteThe rest of the bullpen is fine. Lidge will be fine, and even if he's not they easily won the NL last season and he blew. I like Contreras in the closers role.

The bullpen is ok, imo, but there's certainly room for improvement.  Can't say I agree that Lidge will be fine.  I think if he's healthy, he'll return to form but the question is can he stay healthy?  Contreras should be an adequate closer.  He certainly has the stuff. 

PhillyGirl

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 17, 2010, 05:04:21 PM

6 one way, a half dozen the other.  Whatever Romero popped for was banned and banned for a reason.  I don't care what a player pops for or what team he plays for.  You test positive for a banned substance, you're a farging cheater.  To chastise Manny and not Romero is hypocrisy at it's best.   

That said, they both popped.  They both got suspended and served their suspensions so I'm done bitching about it.

Coincidentally, they've both also been a shell of their former selves since then. 

Romero got hurt, he pitched lights out last night and I expect he'll be solid as he gets more time out there.

Romero was also initially told what he was using was fine. He wasn't juicing and nothing even close. There IS a difference.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyGirl on May 17, 2010, 05:11:12 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 17, 2010, 05:04:21 PM

Romero got hurt, he pitched lights out last night and I expect he'll be solid as he gets more time out there.

Romero was also initially told what he was using was fine. He wasn't juicing and nothing even close. There IS a difference.

If steroids and other PED's weren't an "epidemic" in baseball, I'd probably agree with you.  But the truth is that for the better part of a decade, players were juicing on anything they could get their hands on and so many of them have used the "I didn't know what was in it." line so many times, that it has zero credibility with me.  Maybe Romero's alibi is totally legit and it was just an honest mistake.  I don't know.  What I do know is that the same thing has happened way too many times to way too many other players. 

And I don't hate the dude or anything.  I feel like the overwhelming majority of baseball is clean now, so if he gets back in form and becomes a dominant reliever again, then great.  However, I'm not going to point at Manny (who I can't farging stand btw) or anyone else who popped on a piss test and ridicule them and then defend Romero in the same sentence. 

MDS

As its already been discussed, I bitch because I don't like what Amaro did. I hated giving up Lee. Accept it or not, it was farging stupid. Epically stupid. They're printing cash down there and they sent him packing so they would not have to pay him and Halladay. The guise of trading him for prospects to re-stock the farm is and was bullshtein. You take Halladay, Lee and Hamels with the core of Utley, Howard, Rollins, Werth and Victorino and win as much as you can.

if you guys are nitpicking and angry over the lee thing, still, which is causing everyone to lash over this random double play or that random bases loaded walk....then i dont know. im pretty sure thats not it. for the 1000th time the lee trade was terrible. no one is arguing that. but its been beaten to death and hes not coming back. gotta move beyond it.

QuoteI didn't like them letting Ho Chi Minh go.

as i recall chan ho wanted to be a starter, couldnt get a job and settled with a pen role in new york. by that point the phillies had already signed contreras and baez, thinking chan ho wasnt interested. so...not sure thats a valid criticism.

QuoteI didn't like them relying on Moyer and Kendrick to fill out the rotation.

kendrick isnt supposed to be in the rotation. moyer is the 5. do me a favor and look up the bottom of the rotations for cardinals, giants, yankees, rays, twins, etc. tell me how moyer compares to them. then look at the long man from the pen or the top starter in AAA and tell me how kendrick compares to them.

if you honestly expect joe blanton to be your 5 then you are snortin that white powder a lil too much

QuoteI didn't like not having a viable back up for Lidge. Madson is not that guy.

the only person on the market like this was rodney. he wasnt going to sign here unless they over paid for him by an enormous amount considering he could very well be the 4th guy out of the pen.

could they have traded for someone? sure. but then you are panicking to get a quality bullpen arm from a team thats 0-0, not a team thats trying to unload, collect wild card prospects and save money like you could in july at the deadline.

this area is a concern, but there really was no logical way to fix it until the market sets itself at the deadline. its clear lidge is probably never going to be healthy. its clear madson is not a 9th inning guy. reasonable suspicion says contreras isnt going to be this good. so just hold on here and see what moves they make by august 31. withhold judgment until then. 

QuoteWhat if Romero's elbow hadn't responded? What if it blows up? Whose your LH from the pen? basticho? Escalona? Zagurski?

I love what they did in 2008. Best day of my life when they won. And because I don't shovel praise upon Amaro, don't kill me and certainly don't tell me I'm some whiner because I don't agree with something.

this isnt about amaro. its about the nitpicking, the crazed, unrealistic expectations of every player being roy halladay or chase utley. unless someone goes 4-4 or pitches a perfect game it never seems good enough. it comes across as boston, new york fan whining. philly fans play the "we're gonna lose" card better than any other fan base. history has done that to us. but this team isnt like that. theyve proven it. theyre gonna win the nl east, again. there should be no need to ever worry about anything until october.

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.