Soccer

Started by Diomedes, July 09, 2009, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

it is total ignorance for americans to discount soccer as some boring, eurotrash sport.

no one, except for rusty, is saying it shoudl replace baseball. its not our pastime, but its a great game that literally connects the world. no other sport is played as much as soccer. no one plays football except for us. hockey is played only in northern us, canada and northern europe. basketball has spread across most of europe and into asia and parts of south america. baseball is in latin america and most of asia.

soccer is every farging where. every god damn country on earth plays the game. YOU might personally find it boring, im sure some northeast philly yuppie goes to his ny lakehouse and hates soccer somewhere else in this world but on the whole the sport is so widely played that the simple fact is if you dont like it, youre on the outside. the minority.

how anyone can dismiss soccer while singing the praises of regular season nba or nhl is beyond me. there isnt anything more meaningless in the world than some february battle between the grizzlies and the heat. or the coyotes and the lightning.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Munson

Either one of those games (and I hate the NBA) would be more exciting to watch on TV than a soccer game.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Ugly Americans indeed.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: MDS on July 09, 2009, 11:11:30 PM
it is total ignorance for americans to discount soccer as some boring, eurotrash sport.

no one, except for rusty, is saying it shoudl replace baseball. its not our pastime, but its a great game that literally connects the world. no other sport is played as much as soccer. no one plays football except for us. hockey is played only in northern us, canada and northern europe. basketball has spread across most of europe and into asia and parts of south america. baseball is in latin america and most of asia.

soccer is every farging where. every god damn country on earth plays the game. YOU might personally find it boring, im sure some northeast philly yuppie goes to his ny lakehouse and hates soccer somewhere else in this world but on the whole the sport is so widely played that the simple fact is if you dont like it, youre on the outside. the minority.

how anyone can dismiss soccer while singing the praises of regular season nba or nhl is beyond me. there isnt anything more meaningless in the world than some february battle between the grizzlies and the heat. or the coyotes and the lightning.

yawn

soccer is a farging bore, why do I care if the rest of the world likes it? Am I supposed to comform to some world standard because it's popular elsewhere? It's still a  boring ass game. The only thing remotely interesting is their chants. I've traveled the world and have seen how popular the sport is. The most fanatical place was Brazil. They had soccer courts everywhere, like more soccer courts per square mile than basketball courts you'd find in Philly. I still don't see the fascination.

rjs246

I'm obviously in the minority here, but how anyone can be a baseball fan and think that international soccer boring is beyond me.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

when the reason people are pumping up your sport is that the fans wear funny hats wave flags have cool chants and blow buzzers the whole game you know its a horrible game

the second best thing about soccer?...the world cup...but not because the soccer is good but because it "brings the world together"...get the farg outta here with that shtein

apparently everything about soccer is awesome cept the actual soccer

if you dont have a legit american pro sports league then youre irrelevant....until that happens in this country it will always be meaningless...and even then it will need at least 100 years of history to ever approach the nhl...pro sports leagues are all that matters....the awards the history....the numbers...the trades....the sports talk debates...sports radio...ect....

not even our college football and basketball - which are awesome and a billion times better than soccer - can compare to our pro sports culture
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

rjs246

We get it dude. You don't like soccer. farging christ, say something new.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: rjs246 on July 10, 2009, 07:46:25 AM
I'm obviously in the minority here, but how anyone can be a baseball fan and think that international soccer boring is beyond me.

I'd rather sit through a meaningless 1-0 Nats/Pirates game in September than sit through an exciting soccer game. I think it's the repetitiveness of soccer that bores me to tears. They kick a ball up and down a field and score once or twice. I understand the intricacy of the offense and defense in the game but I can't appreciate it. Baseball is more interesting because any batter at any time can hit one out, or make a great play in the field. Soccer is too wide open, if there isn't a goal being scored than it's basically a bunch of people running around kicking a ball.

rjs246

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 10, 2009, 09:28:08 AM
I'd rather sit through a meaningless 1-0 Nats/Pirates game in September than sit through an exciting soccer game. I think it's the repetitiveness of soccer that bores me to tears.

That there little bolded part describes baseball exactly. There isn't a sport on earth more repetitive than baseball. It's literally the exact same thing happening 200-300 times per game:
Stare. Nod. Scratch. Deliver. Swing/Take. Scratch. Timeout.

Repeat for 3 and a half hours.

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

what i dont understand is how so many americans claim soccer is boring while everyone else lives and dies by it.

why is it that just americans dont like it? is there some sort of reasonable explanation?

i know there is no major soccer league here, but the leagues in brazil arent super high level, neither are the ones in argentina or mexico. yet, the sport is massive there.

i dont see how any sports fan cant like soccer. you dont have to crazy over it, you dont have to go to games, but to not be excited about the world cup or to not catch a premier league game when flipping through the tv is strange to me.

its not a majort sport here nor will it ever be, but to totally dismiss it as boring and pointless i just dont get.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

for me its the flagry, falling down, acting like you got shot by a very little hit.  I'll still watch international events, but its the main reason why i wont watch a whole game or for extended periods of time.  Also i like seeing people hit eachother, hockey/football/lacrosse provide that physicality that makes it fun to watch. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on July 10, 2009, 10:22:14 AM
for me its the flagry, falling down, acting like you got shot by a very little hit.  I'll still watch international events, but its the main reason why i wont watch a whole game or for extended periods of time.  Also i like seeing people hit eachother, hockey/football/lacrosse provide that physicality that makes it fun to watch. 

Now this I agree with. Some international teams are worse than others about the douchery of flopping all over the place, but it is a serious problem and FIFA is actually taking (small) steps to improve it.

The fact that is isn't a collision sport will always keep it behind football/hockey/lacrosse for me as well, but the sheer athleticism of the game moves it well ahead of baseball.

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

It's mostly the Europeans. They do it in basketball, too.

Of course in basketball they aren't that many of them, plus in international competition, only Spain and maybe Germany can compete at a high level. Obviously this is not the case in soccer.

Seabiscuit36

I blame the Italians
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

Oddly enough, the French don't flop half as much as many other European nations (Portugal and Italy are the worst that I've seen). Who knew the French would ever figure out how to do something right.

Let them eat bootstraps.