FYI: How the Eagles spend their extra cap room

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, November 03, 2005, 09:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopyfaceMcGee

QuoteThis is called using Likely To Be Earned(LTBE) incentives to transfer cap room from one year to the next. When a player has an incentive, it is either LTBE or NTLBE(not likely). This is based upon whether or not the player achieved that incentive the previous year. So if McNabb has an incentive for throwing 30 TD passes this year(I am just making that up as an example), it would be considered LTBE because he did it last year.

If the incentive is considered LTBE, it is automatically counted against the cap even before you reach it. So if McNabb had that incentive for this year, let's just say it was for 1 million, that 1 million would count against the cap this year. However, if he does not throw 30 TD passes this year then he would not get paid the 1 million. But since it counted against the cap this year, the eagles would receive a 1 million dollar cap credit for next year to even it out.

Here's the loophole(from page 124 of the CBA):

* In determining the Salary of a Player Contract for purposes of the Salary Cap, any renegotiated contract will be re-valued at the time of the renegotiation. Thus, if at the time of the renegotiation, the conditions for an incentive bonus have already been satisfied, that bonus will be deemed "likely to be earned." Any new or altered incentive bonuses renegotiated in a pre-existing contract after the start of the regular season in which they may be earned automatically will be deemed "likely to be earned" during that season.
*Side Letter 9/21/93: Sec. 2

This means that if the team adds an incentive during the regular season, no matter what it is, it is automatically LTBE. That means that they could write in an incentive for Josh Parry saying he gets 500K for scoring 50 TD's, and it would still be "considered" LTBE. So when a team has extra cap room at the end of the season that it will not use, they do this to carry it over.

I know one of the first ones they did was write one for Timmay Hauck for $2 million if he got something like 20 interceptions.  It would have been cool to see him earn that one.

Sgt PSN

Just to make sure I'm reading that correctly, any incentive that is included in all player contracts for this season has already been counted against the cap.  And the $ value for any incentive not reached this year will be credited to next year's cap?   

Hell, I can think up a thousand ways to manipulate that system which makes the Skins recent years of cap trouble even more amusing. 

PoopyfaceMcGee

Yeah, you pretty much have the gist of it.

If the cap increases next year by as much as some are saying, the Eagles will have like a gajillion cap dollars.

ice grillin you

If the cap increases next year by as much as some are saying, the Eagles will have like a gajillion cap dollars

two gajillion

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

They should sign Edge AND Alexander, and bring back the wishbone.

rjs246

Quote from: FFatPatt on November 04, 2005, 08:22:21 AM
They should sign Edge AND Alexander, and bring back the wishbone.

I think I just came.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.