2014 Philadelphia Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by SD, June 13, 2014, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

I have no problem with the return on the trades.

My problem is with the smug Flyers front office shipping two guys away because they couldn't work with them. Guess who was right in this situation...the guys with the two cups. Any coincidence Richards/Carter played in the last cup the Flyers were in? Sure that was Pronger's team but they don't make it that far without Richards/Carter.

Rome

That was precisely my point.   They could have been cornerstones of the franchise for years but instead of building around them through successful drafting and selective free agent upgrades, Holmgren washed his hands of both of them.  Just like they washed their hands of Justin Williams, Patrick Sharp, Bobrovsky, JVR and a host of others. 

If you read my comments from back then I said it was insanity to trade both.  I understood the trade of Richards because he was done in Philly.  He couldn't play for Lavy and Holmgren used him as a scapegoat.  I thought trading Carter was a stupid mistake and it's turned out to be just that.  He became the clutch player he always had the potential to be in L.A. after getting the farg out of MA, and now the both of them have two goddamn rings.  And it's simple, really.  The idiot GM got impatient and went for the brass ring when the 2010 team came up short. 

It's not just about Richards & Carter and what they got in return for them was sufficient, but when you look at the history of this team and how they operate with young players, it's just sickening.

But hey, at least we have Vinny Lecavalier, Mark Streit & Scott Hartnell to cheer for, amirite?!?

ice grillin you

lol at richards or carter being cornerstones....granted none of the guys they got in return are either
but...richards is a worthless overpaid pos
carter has turned into a good goal scorer but isnt equal to simmonds vorachek and cooter

gimme the kings defense gaborik kopitar jonathan quick simmonds vorachek cooter and ill take my chances

i completely understand being bitter because carter and richards happened to end up on a team good enough to win a cup but what you really should be upset about is terrible contracts like hartnell...or if you wanna get salty about trades then do it towards the sharp deal or even jdub...those were truly awful...in fact the jdub trade perfectly illustrates and is a much better example of what you are talking about romey as far as giving up on young players....carter and richards are nothing more than a nice talking point for the media and wip fans
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

the Williams deal was one of necessity, plus Williams was constantly injured and mired in one of the streakiest careers ever.  He battled what 2 or 3 knee injuries since leaving the team.  It was typical Flyers FO to give up on a young talented player never the less. 

And what IGY said is right, if you think that trades like that were bad, look at their signings.  Hextall has the opportunity to bring this all around which is the only reason I'm excited for this org. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

there was absolutely no reason much less a necessity to trade williams....he was 22 and coming into his own...he had consecutive 30 goal seasons the two years following the trade...yeah he ended up getting hurt but the flyers didnt know that....and then he came back and turned into arguably the clutchest players in nhl history...its the textbook version of what romey was talking about with their young players....trading a 22 year old for a rent a defensman who was out of the nhl 15 minutes later...as opposed to carter and richards who had played 6-7 years with the team and were 26-27....my main point is not even to rip the williams trade (altho obviously it wasnt good) but to point out it holds much more weight to rip that than it does the carter/richard deals

SD

You guys are missing me and romes point...it has nothing to do with the return and everything to do with the smug front offices attitude towards getting rid of young players they're unhappy with. Who cares if they out bangin jersey trash. The front office wanted them gone after a cup run and they won two cups with another team. They win.

Rome

Again exactly what I meant.

And IGY ripping Richards after the years long fellating he did with that guy is priceless.

He has two rings and they made a mistake trading him.  More so Carter, though, regardless of who they got back in return.

ice grillin you

richards was the man when he first came into the league....then he turned into a little bitch and also hit his ceiling...athletes change...(i also loved the bed wetter at one time)....as a sports fan you should be able to adapt and change as well...also be able to see the forest thru the trees which you are utterly incapable of doing time after time...

trading "richie" wasnt even remotely a mistake...in fact the richards trade was a steal for the flyers...carter i suppose you can argue as he contributed significantly to their cup this year especially....and neither were "young" when they traded them

Seabiscuit36

You guys forget the entire sequence of who was let go.  Upshall, Lupul, Carcillo, Ben Eager, Carter, Richards.  Olde City Crew was a mess.  With each player they jettisoned, the team stayed the same.  Basically those guys has burned all bridges.  When you see two guys like Carter and Richards sent off in the same year, 10 minutes apart, you have to realize there was a lot behind it(just like Pimp).  I'm not disagreeing about the orgs long standing history of bringing players up to the NHL and ruining them, then sending them off with zero value, and to no ones surprise they become good players around 27 years old.  Players don't mature well in this city for this team. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

richards was the opposite tho...he became a zesty player when he was 27

Seabiscuit36

True.  He's basically Callahan from the NYR.  Smaller player, bad shoulder, entitlement issues. 

BigEd76

Paddock was fired, replaced by Gord Murphy

BigEd76

Season opener is 10/8 at Boston, with the home opener vs NJ the next night.  Full schedule gets released tomorrow

Rome

I think it's hilarious that two guys who win (2) Stanley Cups would be better off in Los Angeles than Philly.

Hey dickhead... has it ever occurred to you that if they still had Richards & Carter, they might have won a Cup or two themselves?

Of course not.  They did "better" in both trades!

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 21, 2014, 06:02:10 PM
has it ever occurred to you that if they still had Richards & Carter, they might have won a Cup or two themselves?

this is either the biggest troll ever or the worst joke.....I cant tell