2011-12 Flyers Season Thread: Now With Less Alcohol!

Started by BigEd76, October 06, 2011, 10:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

anyone watching this....are they as good as the score?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

Didn't get to see it but didnt they not have a shutout all yr last year? 

Bryzgalov as advertised through two games.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 08, 2011, 09:17:02 PM

They pretty much dominated the Devils.  Brodeur actually kept is close for two period (1-0 going into the third).  And Wayne Simmonds is the new gawd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGBlXpfJmtQ

SD

Yes. They controlled the entire game from start to finish. Jersey got frustrated at the end and started taking cheap shots. Love what I'm seeing from Simmonds, he's physical and has a take no shtein attitude. Was an assist away from the Gordie Howe hatrick. Courturier has a ton of skill and Voraceck does too. The Devils had some nice scoring chances but Bryz was lights out. It's still too early to tell because this team is raw but I like what I'm seeing so far. Giroux was far and away the best player on the ice tonight.

Geowhizzer

I think that Courturier may stay on the roster past the ten days.  Kid's got a ton of skills, and is already darn good defensively.

SD

I'd be fine with that but what do they do with Schenn? Leave him in the minors or throw Briere on the wing?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SD on October 08, 2011, 10:47:11 PM

Yes. They controlled the entire game from start to finish. Jersey got frustrated at the end and started taking cheap shots. Love what I'm seeing from Simmonds, he's physical and has a take no shtein attitude. Was an assist away from the Gordie Howe hatrick. Courturier has a ton of skill and Voraceck does too. The Devils had some nice scoring chances but Bryz was lights out. It's still too early to tell because this team is raw but I like what I'm seeing so far. Giroux was far and away the best player on the ice tonight.

Ok, it sounds like these guys are pretty good.  I love them! 

Don Ho

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on October 08, 2011, 09:42:52 PM
Didn't get to see it but didnt they not have a shutout all yr last year? 

Bryzgalov as advertised through two games.

Correct, not one shutout last season.  Just two games in and Bryzgalov already has one.  Like it. Echoing Geo's thoughts, Simmonds is da man.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Rome

That was the best game I've seen them play in a long time.  They played just about as well against the Bruins too.  I know it's really early, but still... I'm hopeful.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Rome on October 09, 2011, 06:30:47 AM
That was the best game I've seen them play in a long time.  They played just about as well against the Bruins too.  I know it's really early, but still... I'm hopeful.

Hope is a dangerous thing.

SD

I mean, it's hard to get your hopes up too high because this is such a young team and it's a long season but early on they look really good. You can tell by the way they're playing there's more energy on the ice now. There's two things that make a team worth watching: 1 is if you're a championship contender. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they make the playoffs but not the cup. 2 is when a team has a lot of young talent that you get to watch develop.

In some ways they're mimicking the Bruins. They went with young forwards and a veteran defense and Thomas got hot in the playoffs.

ice grillin you

if nothing else at least they are a fresh breath of air this year.....man did i come to hate richards and carter

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 09, 2011, 09:15:52 AM
if nothing else at least they are a fresh breath of air this year.....man did i come to hate richards and carter

Carter I was always iffy on but I never thought I'd come to hate Richards like I did. Early impressions on this trade are good. They got 4 very talented young players for two very good players. Fans from other teams were saying the Flyers would miss Richards leadership which shows how little they know. I'm convinced more than ever Pronger was brought in to straighten the Old City crew up and when that didn't happen they decided to ship their ass elsewhere. The thing with Richards was everyone wanted him to be the next Clarke and he wilted under the pressure. He felt threatened once Pronger was brought in and didn't want to change. Maybe they wind up sucking maybe they wind up being a good team but like you said it's a fresh breath of air watching all these young guys. I'm not the biggest Homer fan but I actually applaud him for taking this chance.

Rome

They obviously needed a major shakeup and they got it with shipping out Carter & Richards.  I still think it wasn't necessary to trade both, though.  I think Richards should have been traded simply because he was the "leader" and he failed miserably in that role.

None of this matters, though.  The only thing that matters is Bryz.  They go as he goes.  If he's anywhere as good as he's looked these first two games they're legit contenders.

Also - the defense has been oppressively smothering.  That I love. 

ice grillin you

the health of aarp members pronger and timonen will determine how well they do....i wish there was a way to bottle them still make the playoffs then unlesh them for game one round one......80 games leaves a lot of chances for them to ravage their bodies