attn: cf fantasy baseball participants

Started by ice grillin you, February 08, 2008, 04:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

can anyone explain to me why wins are a necessary fantasy stat?

king throws 8 shutout innings..12 ks...125 pitches...then the closer league comes in and coughs up the lead. so i dont get the "win" because some other player sucked. can you old people accept the fact that its not 1950 anymore and wins and losses are farging pointless for pitchers?
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

You sound like a Beane disciple bitching about W's not being important.

And Brandon League is on my team...so yeah

MDS

they arent anymore. 20 years ago they meant something.

im not trying to get into a saber debate, im not a saber nerd. i dont even know where to look for saber stats or what most of them mean.

i just want someone to tell me using common sense and factual reason why wins and losses count other than "that's the way things are."

i swear getting through to people with this is like having a god debate with believers. they just want to believe there is a friendly bearded man in the clouds and thats that.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on April 20, 2012, 12:33:36 AM
You sound like a Beane disciple bitching about W's not being important.

he is a beane disciple and its frankly embarassing but thats what sports has come to with the advent of the internet....its numbers nerds who know nothing about the game itself

lol at wins and losses not mattering...it pretty much the foundation of what sports is all about
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

i feel like im in an alternate universe when it comes to this

for the 1000th time. give me a reason why wins and losses matter to individual pitchers. why does king have to pay when his closer cant hold a lead? why doesnt the other starting pitcher get a loss even though he is out-dueled by king? why does this matter?

give me a reason other than claiming im a "beane disciple" (again, not true) and lazily equating the internet to ruining The Way Things Used To Be.

ice grillin you

if you dont get then you just dont get it....im osrry i cant explain it any better but i cant rationally discuss sports with nerds

go play roto baseball where and try to win VORP every week if thats what you are looking for...you aint gonna find that stuff in my league i can assure you of that

MDS

so you cant prove that god wins and losses exists matter, you just have to "get it" 

you realize you sound like a fox news talking head...baseless argument, incorrect name calling (liberal = nerd/seamhead), then finish it up with a nice prideful stance on your ignorance.

ice grillin you

actually if you want to get down to it wins and losses are the ONLY stat that matters

but to answer your question i cant prove that any stat matters...i just watch games...im sure you have some theroum which can prove that MATWOSS wins championships tho...and if you do...save it...i dont care

MDS

lol this must be what talking to hannity is like. wow.

alright, lets run a scenario. pitcher A throws 8 innings, gives up 0 runs, is pulled after 130 pitches, has a 4-0 lead. closer comes in in the 9th and coughs up the lead. no win.

pitcher B throws 5 innings, gives up 6 runs, leaves down 6-0. in the 7th, his team scores 8 runs. no loss.

pitcher C throws 6 innings, gives up 5 runs, leaves down 5-1. in the bottom of the 6th, his team scores 7 runs. leads stands. he gets the win.

picher D throws 8 innings, gives up an unearned run on a dropped flyball, a bunt and a groundout. team loses 1-0. he gets the loss.

on what planet does A not deserve a "win", does B not deserve a "loss" and does C deserve a "win" and D deserves a "loss?"

sometimes in a game the w/l goes to the right people and it makes sense. often times it does not. how can you justify caring about a stat that normally makes little to no sense?

ice grillin you

MDS

phattymatty

i have cliff lee on my team. he threw 10 shutout innings the other day but didn't get a win. i'm not complaining though because i don't have a vagina.

ice grillin you

plus you scored big in like four other stat categories because he pitched well....wins and losses are just one of many stats that count

nerdster is acting like they count for more

MDS

they count for less

they count for nothing

sv, era, k, whip and think of 1 more. go 5/5.

ice grillin you

but but my pitcher had 8 k's the other night and gave up 7 er....why should k's count when you can pitch a horrible game and still get credit for them

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah