The Booze Thread

Started by Sgt PSN, November 10, 2006, 01:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I'm nursing the last of a bottle of Basil Hayden's this week.  It was a birthday gift, god knows I can't afford good bourbon. 

Luckily, Bulleit isn't bad at all.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagaholic

How do you like the Haydin's? It's part of the same small batch group as Booker's. I read it is done in a light bodied style.

Diomedes

It is on the paler side, yeah.  I think it's delicious. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

I would slay all of you for a delicious beer right now.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Eagaholic

Quote from: Diomedes on September 25, 2010, 09:20:29 PM
It is on the paler side, yeah.  I think it's delicious. 

I want to give it a try but I don't think I can keep myself from getting another bottle of Booker's next. I've about kicked my last bottle, it grows on you. I'm starting to crave it at night.

QuoteI would slay all of you for a delicious beer right now.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of mixed 6 packs. Delightful beers but i just haven't been in a beer mood lately. They are all sitting there, ice cold, going to waste.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

Eagaholic

PhillyPhanInDC

Had some Dos Equis Amber last night. Didn't like it too much.

Sam Adams Octoberfest is back out, which is delicious.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

smeags

have some sam adams summer brews sitting aside for the game sunday to go along with the bloody marys.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

rjs246

I hate Octoberfests. Never understood what people like about them. Winter Warmers too. Gross.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhanInDC

I haven't tried many other Octoberfests, although I did have a Beck's Oktoberfest once that was pretty good as well, I like the Sam Adams because I generally like darker beers, and I like the caramel and toffee flavors in it. It's good shtein.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on September 29, 2010, 12:08:52 PM
Had some Dos Equis Amber last night. Didn't like it too much.

I've tried a couple different types of Dos Ickys.  Didn't like any of them.  At all. 

Diomedes

I'm with you, don't like Dos Equis.

Horses, them I like.  To hump, that is.

rjs246

Quote from: Diomedes on September 29, 2010, 04:07:43 PM
I'm with you, don't like Dos Equis.

Horses, them I like.  To hump, that is.

Someone got let out early for good behavior today. Lousy drunk.

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, according to a new study.

British experts evaluated substances including alcohol, cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and marijuana, ranking them based on how destructive they are to the individual who takes them and to society as a whole.

Researchers analyzed how addictive a drug is and how it harms the human body, in addition to other criteria like environmental damage caused by the drug, its role in breaking up families and its economic costs, such as health care, social services, and prison.

Heroin, crack cocaine and methamphetamine, or crystal meth, were the most lethal to individuals. When considering their wider social effects, alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the deadliest. But overall, alcohol outranked all other substances, followed by heroin and crack cocaine. Marijuana, ecstasy and LSD scored far lower.

The study was paid for by Britain's Centre for Crime and Justice Studies and was published online Monday in the medical journal, Lancet.

Experts said alcohol scored so high because it is so widely used and has devastating consequences not only for drinkers but for those around them.

"Just think about what happens (with alcohol) at every football game," said Wim van den Brink, a professor of psychiatry and addiction at the University of Amsterdam. He was not linked to the study and co-authored a commentary in the Lancet.

When drunk in excess, alcohol damages nearly all organ systems. It is also connected to higher death rates and is involved in a greater percentage of crime than most other drugs, including heroin.

But experts said it would be impractical and incorrect to outlaw alcohol.

"We cannot return to the days of prohibition," said Leslie King, an adviser to the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and one of the study's authors. "Alcohol is too embedded in our culture and it won't go away."

King said countries should target problem drinkers, not the vast majority of people who indulge in a drink or two. He said governments should consider more education programs and raising the price of alcohol so it isn't as widely available.

Experts said the study should prompt countries to reconsider how they classify drugs. For example, last year in Britain, the government increased its penalties for the possession of marijuana. One of its senior advisers, David Nutt - the lead author on the Lancet study - was fired after he criticized the British decision.

"What governments decide is illegal is not always based on science," said van den Brink. He said considerations about revenue and taxation, like those garnered from the alcohol and tobacco industries, may influence decisions about which substances to regulate or outlaw.

"Drugs that are legal cause at least as much damage, if not more, than drugs that are illicit," he said

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous