The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: SunMo on May 11, 2011, 02:18:41 PM
well then i suppose as my hip hop life coach you are doing an awful job

clearly i went massively awry somewhere along the way

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 11, 2011, 02:18:52 PM
I just pulled up Tribe's wiki page just to see what it says about them and noticed this little tidbit towards the bottom.

Quote[edit] Film

The documentary entitled Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest, directed by Michael Rapaport, debuted at the Sundance Film Festival on January 22, 2011

A hip hopumentary?  In.  Havas, let's snuggle on the couch and watch this. 

if it ever makes theaters i will be there...supposedly sony picked it up and will put it in at least ny and la this summer buts thats far from a sure thing...we can share a popcorn if you want

the movie is very emo tho...lots of beefin lots of tears going on
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

I still think it's funny that Michael Rapaport has always been a guy who clearly favored hip hop and black/urban culture but somehow ended up being cast as a loner white dude who joined a skinhead group and shot Tyra Banks in Higher Learning. 

rjs246

That's because he's the whitest, softest, gingeriest dude in hollywood. He's the least hip looking motherfarger on the planet.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 11, 2011, 02:22:53 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 02:17:31 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 11, 2011, 02:13:06 PM
Quote from: SunMo on May 11, 2011, 02:07:24 PM
maybe it's just that I don't like People's Instinctive Travels because that's the only one I've listened too.

i don't really care to listen to somebody talk about losing their wallet with a beat behind it.

You definitely want to check out The Low End Theory (the album after PIT).  It's highlighted by Scenario (which everyone farging knows) but has some great jams on it like Butter and Check the Rhime (one of my all time favorite songs - the beats/instrumentals are sick).

scenario remix >>>>>>> scenario

Agreed

Quoteand while all great none of those three songs would crack low ends top three best songs

Also agreed, but Scenario as best I can remember, got the most air play and was their most well known song at the time so I threw that out there because if Sunny wasn't familiar with Tribe before, he might at least recognize that song.  Check the Rhime just gets hooked and amped up from the intro through and then they drop that bass hard as hell during the instramentals throughout the song.  I farging love it. 

yeah scenario is their biggest song ever...i think everyone knows it...i just think its a bad representation of that album because if you think its great then you might be disappointed because the rest of the album isnt like it and if you dont like it it may steer you away from a record full of classic songs

check the rhyme is all world...its just played out to me ive heard it so many times...same thing can be said for scenario since those are their two biggest singles along with award tour

ice grillin you

btw if i have the time tonight i will upload vol. I, II, III of my own personal tribe greatest hits package

Sgt PSN

Do it. 

Also, getting back to some recommendations for Sunny.....I have no idea what he's already listened to, but I imagine that if he wasn't familiar with Tribe until recently, then he probably didn't listen to much hip hop back in the late 80's/early 90's.  In which case I recommend:

Eric B & Rakim
EPMD
De La Soul
Digable Planets
Lords of the Underground
Digital Underground
Wu Tang Clan
Gang Starr
Pharcyde
Black Sheep
Cypress Hill
Pete Rock & CL Smooth

If you want to check out the og's, then listen to:

Sugarhill Gang
Grandmaster Flash
Doug E Fresh
Kurtis Blow
Afrika Bambaataa
Whodini
Newcleus
Slick Rick
Run DMC
Beastie Boys

There's probably a bunch of great ones that I'm forgetting, but some of these groups go back 30 years. 

For the life of me though, I really don't think anyone who didn't grow up listening to the early years of hip hop could listen to it now and find it enjoyable.  It's kind of like igy and old movies.  Some of the og's style was so rudimentary and the lyrics didn't make sense half the time, but no one really gave a damn.  It didn't have to make sense, it just needed to rhyme. 

SunMo

i've heard stuff from just about all those artists.    except Wu-Tang Clan, tell me more?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Gotta pay for more info, homie.  CREAM. 

ice grillin you

Vol. I
https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DMEtTak85OW5OQnl4dnc9PQ

1 - the chase part II
2 - footprints
3 - electric relaxation
4 - mr incognito
5 - bonita applebaum
6 - its yours
7 - the jam
8 - youthful expression
9 - buggin out
10 - go ahead in the rain
11 - award tour
12 - after hours
13 - jazz remix

vol. II

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DMEtTak93YTI4NVZFQlE9PQ

1 - phony rappers
2 - luck of lucien
3 - keep it going
4 - vibes and stuff
5 - we can get down
6 - get a hold
7 - rock rock yall
8 - god lives thru
9 - jazz
10 - hot sex
11 - scenario remix

Quote from: Sgt PSN on May 11, 2011, 04:45:36 PM
Do it. 

Also, getting back to some recommendations for Sunny.....I have no idea what he's already listened to, but I imagine that if he wasn't familiar with Tribe until recently, then he probably didn't listen to much hip hop back in the late 80's/early 90's.  In which case I recommend:

Eric B & Rakim
EPMD
De La Soul
Digable Planets
Lords of the Underground
Digital Underground
Wu Tang Clan
Gang Starr
Pharcyde
Black Sheep
Cypress Hill
Pete Rock & CL Smooth

If you want to check out the og's, then listen to:

Sugarhill Gang
Grandmaster Flash
Doug E Fresh
Kurtis Blow
Afrika Bambaataa
Whodini
Newcleus
Slick Rick
Run DMC
Beastie Boys

There's probably a bunch of great ones that I'm forgetting, but some of these groups go back 30 years. 

For the life of me though, I really don't think anyone who didn't grow up listening to the early years of hip hop could listen to it now and find it enjoyable.  It's kind of like igy and old movies.  Some of the og's style was so rudimentary and the lyrics didn't make sense half the time, but no one really gave a damn.  It didn't have to make sense, it just needed to rhyme. 

yeah true old school is pretty much intolerable....save a few artists....spoonie g for example is incredible...btw slick rick the beasties and run dmc dont belong in that second group

hbionic

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 02:41:11 PMyeah scenario is their biggest song ever...i think everyone knows it...i just think its a bad representation of that album because if you think its great then you might be disappointed because the rest of the album isnt like it and if you dont like it it may steer you away from a record full of classic songs

check the rhyme is all world...its just played out to me ive heard it so many times...same thing can be said for scenario since those are their two biggest singles along with award tour

We've got the jazz...or Jazz (We've got) is my all time favorite ATCQ track. Electric relaxation is my #2.

The Low End Theory is like the Qur'an...a miracle on Earth. That is probably the best way to explain it. If there was ever going to be a religion started from hip-hop it would be based on The Low End Theory.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

agreed on jazz....for like the past five years ive been working on my top 150 hip-hop songs of all time which i just finished and jazz came in at #19

hbionic

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 07:07:13 PM
agreed on jazz....for like the past five years ive been working on my top 150 hip-hop songs of all time which i just finished and jazz came in at #19

Top 150? Ok...you're on. Give me a few weeks...I have to think about it.

Send me yours when you are done. I'd like to see it.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

wait you are gonna do in two weeks what took me five years......not fair

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 11, 2011, 06:54:48 PM
yeah true old school is pretty much intolerable....save a few artists....spoonie g for example is incredible...btw slick rick the beasties and run dmc dont belong in that second group

Good call on Spoonie G.  I love true old school, but there are times when it comes up on shuffle and I just laugh at it because it just seems so "primitive."  It's like playing a 360 or PS3 and then hooking up the Atari.  It's great, but kind of sucks at the same time.   

As for Slick Rick, Beasties and Run DMC.....they don't really belong with either group I listed because they were kind of like the 2nd generation of rap.  But their styles are probably closer to the og's than the generation that came up after them so I threw them in with the old timers. 

ice grillin you

run dmc to a certain extent...they were the bridge from the old to the new school...but definitely not slick rick or the beasties