The Hip-Hop Thread

Started by hbionic, May 15, 2006, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

jodeci's lately stevie cover on unplugged is one of the sexiest songs of all time.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

QuoteChet Hanks has some talented family members to look up to. Try living with Colin Hanks, star of the "Good Guys," or Rita Wilson, who appeared in "Sleepless in Seattle."

Oh, yeah, and Tom Hanks.

Yet despite being a theater major at Northwestern University, the 20-year-old frat boy isn't exactly going into the family business. Instead, he wants to rap, and the viral hit "Purple and White" has put him on the right track.

Meant to spark school spirit at the Evanston, Ill., school, the song inspired by Whiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow," was posted on Facebook and immediately went through the internet cycle to national recognition.

"I'm getting a lot of love around campus," he told the Daily News by phone Wednesday. "I'm running into people and I hear the song."

The song drops references to Northwestern's school colors, and is laced with lyrics that few outside of the private school would understand.

"White kicks, purple cuts/this is college hitting blunts after hitting books," Chet raps. "Soon as I hit the Keg, the Deuce be getting shut."

While Chet, who goes by the stage name Chet Haze, has been ridiculed on the web for his rap stylings, he doesn't seem bothered by the slights.

"Much love to both the fans and the haters for helping me pop off," he tweeted at around 1 a.m. Thursday morning.

His parents, he said, also are behind him.

"One of the reasons I'm especially so excited right now is because I do have the support of my family ... and they're just as excited as I am," he said, insisting they had never tried to force him into what he calls "the family business."

On Thursday, a new track by Chet appeared on YouTube called "West Side LA." Sounding like something close to a slightly less pop-y LFO, the new track inches away from college drama and gives shouts out to his hometown of Los Angeles, with rhymes about more common hip hop themes than the library: girls, money and haters.

Chet's hoping that his tracks will lead to more recognition and a possible record deal after he drops a full mix tape later this year.

"There's going to be some big things happening," he said.

So far, no professional agent or manager has contacted him, despite his famous last name, but Chet's making do with a little help from his friends.

His current "manager," a frat brother at Northwestern, first contacted a News reporter from the student union. The duo conducted an interview while sitting in a private room at Northwestern's favorite hangout: the library.

Later, his manager called back, saying Chet had one request: Could the News please not publish where he lives?

"Thanks," he said, seemingly genuinely anxious about the request. "We trust you. You seem like good people."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6bdV968umA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYGQ65aHKI

reese125

"Ummm...yeah son....if you want to be a rapper Im perfectly ok with that. Whatever keeps you from being a heroin addict since your mother and I are never home."

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phillymic2000

ice grillin you

if you went back in time and needed to explain to someone like benjamin franklin what hip-hop is i think you couldnt do better than to play him this...

https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DMzZFTkZwQk50TW14dnc9PQ

an emcee in his absolute prime just murdering some insane drums for a minute straight

Sgt PSN

If I went back in time, the last thing I'd worry about doing is trying to explain to those folksy old bastiches what hip hop is. 

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Drunkmasterflex

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Diomedes

agreed, embarrassing.  like watching black kids try to read aloud
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

reese125

the sickest video ever....and worth all 25 minutes. dude Lilou...from another planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YviuHE1zINo&feature=relmfu

mussa

Quote from: Diomedes on February 15, 2011, 07:55:52 PM
agreed, embarrassing.  like watching black kids try to read aloud

:-D :paranoid :-D
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

mussa

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 12, 2011, 05:14:10 PM
If I went back in time, the last thing I'd worry about doing is trying to explain to those folksy old bastiches what hip hop is. 

I am pretty sure they wouldn't understand how they got loose.