Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Thank you both.

Permit came through today so I'm starting the next one on Monday.  An old (pre 1900) house that was designed with a wrap around porch, and a couple years ago,
the front fell off.   Now, a section of the original porch, onto the roof of which two stories of bedrooms bump out, has to be demolished before those bedrooms collapse along with what remains of the the original porch.  Have an interesting puzzle to figure out with this one.  Hope I get paid.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

That's always the tough thing - getting paid. I hear stories all the time of the contractors getting stiffed.

I'd be interested to see progress pics on that job too. I love places with huge wrap around porches.

On that bathroom how laborious was the tile? The caps mentioned it being tough to line up because of the condition of the subfloor right?

Diomedes

I had to completely reframe the entire room, so by the time the tile man showed up, everything was true, flat, level, plumb, and square.  He had a brand new subfloor that was glued and screwed to new floor joists.  They had no trouble setting the tile at all.  As I recall it two men four full days, plus one man for one more full day. 

And I'll get paid, its more, will what I charge be enough for what I do.  That bathroom was a labor of love, not of profit.  I often seem to end up doing jobs that don't make me much profit, but they're great projects.  I'm paying mybills though, so it's all good. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

You really need to take a class on how to farg people over, Dio. 

shtein like this with you being "fair and equitable" to your customers is really embarrassing. 

Diomedes

Who gonna teach me that?  We ran all the money lovers out of here.

Rome

General_Failure

You need to find a techbro who can help you sell these people on smarthouse garbage. You'll make a killing off of people being able to yell at their thermostats.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on September 20, 2019, 01:20:08 PM
crowing a bit...here a recent project I'm proud of

link

Looks good! Well done enough that the typo about the dryver vent patch didn't ruin the entire job

Rome

I don't know if you guys have ever had your ductwork cleaned out at your places but I highly recommend it.  We had a new HVAC system installed but the ductwork was "fine."   It was intact but good god it was disgustingly gross.  What a difference.  They were here for most of the morning.  Cleaned all the ducts, vents and returns.   Seriously I can't believe the difference in air quality right now. 

Diomedes

Always do this when put a new system in, if you can.  (My current house, the ducts are lined with fiberglass insulation, so cleaning them is not possible)   Last time I had it done they came up with a very satisfying pile of filth, and the expensive camera they had to show before and after pics paid off very nicely because my wife was just like you, nancing about the house like she suddenly had a blast of nordic lake air flowing from the system instead of a dust plume.  Good marketing. 

The fact is, ac systems regardless what filter you use don't do shtein to clean your air.  You clean the ducts in defense of the guts inside the expensive new equipment you bought, which dies when it gets caked with dander and filth.

Rome

Wifey has respiratory issues especially this time of year.  I had it installed last Friday.  Pulled the filter out on Thursday and it was already dirty.  I almost called them to cancel until I saw that filter.  Six days and it was already caked.

The camera thing you mentioned was cool as hell though.  They have an infrared unit that detects leaks (cold air into hot) and they ran in in the attic and crawl space.  No leaks but the before and after pictures were incredible. 

No wonder we were wheezing up in here. 

SD

Quote from: Rome on September 05, 2020, 07:13:38 AM
I don't know if you guys have ever had your ductwork cleaned out at your places but I highly recommend it.  We had a new HVAC system installed but the ductwork was "fine."   It was intact but good god it was disgustingly gross.  What a difference.  They were here for most of the morning.  Cleaned all the ducts, vents and returns.   Seriously I can't believe the difference in air quality right now.

HVAC is in perfect working order but how much to clean ducts?

General_Failure

Don't forget the dryer when cleaning your ducts. They were packed when we moved in here.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

$325 for the whole house (2,400 SF, 9 rooms).

Munson

There's stuff like that I'd like to get done but also have no desire to have workers inside my house right now lol
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds