2009 Philadelphia Phillies - Season's Over, Time to Move On

Started by SunMo, April 02, 2009, 01:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

if toronto deals him, then it's almost certainly to the phils.  unless of course, amaro tries to get him on the cheap and toronto deals him to another team that's offering equal value, but still the top players in their farm. 

MDS

what about picking up vernon wells' contract?

he has a fntc, but you could essentially pay his contract for him to stay in toronto. the phillies are printing money at the bank, im pretty sure they could afford it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD_Eagle5

The Phillies owners never change their pinstripes. No way they take on Wells contract, from the looks of it Amaro had to fight with them to agree to take on Halladay's.

%60 Halladay isn't traded
%25 its to the Phils
%15 its to another team

For some odd reason I've always thought he'd end up on a team like the Angels.

Sgt PSN

the angels aren't willing to give up their middle infield for him, but they are willing to give up their absolute best prospects......which is why i think toronto will deal with them or another team willing to give up their top prospects rather than deal with amaro who isn't willing to do that.

i think it's basically a "respect" thing right now.  what the phils are offering is just as good, if not better than what other teams are offering, except that the other teams are offering their top tier guys and the phils aren't. 

Sgt PSN

myers looking to return to pen

i think it goes without saying that if myers is able to give them 1-2 innings at a time, that would really give cholly some nice bp depth.  especially if you've got moyer and martinez in the rotation and neither is likely to give you more than 6 innings. 

Geowhizzer

Who'd have thought that the Phils' system would be seen as one of the best?

I tend to lean towards SD's numbers, slightly adjusted:

60% not traded.
20% Phils
20% Other team

Teams most likely to jump in:
1.  Red Sox (Dice-K out for who knows, Smoltz falling apart, etc.)
2.  Angels (Need stopper)
3.  Cubs (trying to outduel the Cardinals)
4.  Yankees (because they're the F'n Yankees).

Tidbit to make Igy's head explode:  Halladay is a Mormon.  Maybe Andy Reid can threaten to eat Riccardi.

Why the Phils may get Halladay:  Duh.  Something about being the best pitcher in the league and repeating as World F'n Champions.

Why the Phils won't get Halladay:  Doesn't this have the "I thought they'd come back to us for one more offer" excuse written all over it.  That's what Amaro will be crying after Halladay is a member of the Boston Red Sox or Los Angeles Angels.

Seabiscuit36

i still dont see Toronto willing to trade in the division to give them a player like Halladay. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

PhillyPhreak54

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyGirl

Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 28, 2009, 03:02:42 PM
farg, looks like I spoke too soon:

Trade Buzz: Red Sox include Buchholz in Halladay offer

I honestly don't think the Rays are going to trade him to a division team...no matter what they throw out there.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Geowhizzer

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 28, 2009, 03:32:42 PM
Quote from: SD_Eagle on July 28, 2009, 03:02:42 PM
farg, looks like I spoke too soon:

Trade Buzz: Red Sox include Buchholz in Halladay offer

I honestly don't think the Rays are going to trade him to a division team...no matter what they throw out there.

I don't think the Rays have much of a say where he goes.  ;)

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer