NFC East Prediction

Started by 4and26, May 15, 2006, 02:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

Um, did you write the article?

Because that's who we were referring to.  ::)
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

4and26

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Geowhizzer

[blind homer]16-0 BABY![/blind homer]

Realistically, I have a hard time gauging how the Eagles will do.  There are so many questions.

1.  The other teams in the NFC East are better than 2 years ago.  OR, were they merely better because the Eagles were down?

2.  McNabb is back and healthy this year.  But is he truly healthy?  Has the surgery for a nasty injury completely healed?  Can McNabb be the multi-threat QB he was in prior years?  With the offense (particularly the WR) the Eagles have, can the team afford #5 to try to be a pocket passer again?

3.  Will the clubhouse be better, the team more cohesive with TO gone to Dallas?  Or was the fissure too great to heal in one offseason?  Is losing TO truly addition by subtraction, or will the Eagles' suffer more because of losing his production than they gained by removing the pain in the ass?

4.  Is Reid truly prepared to adjust his gamecalling and run the ball more?  Or will he continue to be obstinate in the face of criticism and keep chucking the ball?  If so, will McNabb survive to play in the Christmas game against Dallas?  Will Reid actually give Morningwheg the ability to call the plays and step back?  Can Reid give up that much power?

5.  We're all excited about the possibilities of the combination of Kearse and Howard, but neither were truly productive last year.  Will they be more effective together, or will there still be issues with the ends?

6.  Can Brian Westbrook truly be the full-time feature back?

7.  Who in the heck is going to replace Dhani Jones?  Somebody has to.

8.  Can Bunkley make a difference on the defensive line this season?  Can Justice/Jean-Gilles do the same on the offensive line?

9.  Were Lito's (and to a lesser extent all of the DB's) troubles of last season a down year made worse by the lack of pressure by the defensive line, or is it more problematic than that?  Will he come back hungry rather than complacent like last season?  Is he perhaps a one-season wonder?

10.  Can Reggie Brown blossom into a star?  Can Todd Pinkston both a) grow a pair, and b) come back from a ruptured Achilles?

Yes, this is many of the same players that reached the Super Bowl two seasons ago.  It is also many of the same players that finished 6-10 last season.

In my opinion (and yes, take it for what it's worth), the Eagles can finish anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6, depending on how the above (and more) questions are answered.  I just think that the Eagles' seasons of pure dominance of the division are a thing of the past. 

For argument's sake, I'd say the Eagles win 8 or 9.

1.  Giants
2.  Eagles/Dallas
3.  Dallas/Eagles
4.  taterskins

However, the teams are interchangeable enough that any of the teams could literally finish in any order.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 15, 2006, 07:37:56 PM
10.  Can Reggie Bush blossom into a star?

The Eagles only play the Saints once, though.  Ha.

Drunkmasterflex

They were 6-10 last year without McNabb and Westbrook, every "expert" seems to forget that.  I am pretty confident they will win the division again, only if they stay fairly healthy though.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FFatPatt on May 15, 2006, 08:19:11 PM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on May 15, 2006, 07:37:56 PM
10.  Can Reggie Bush blossom into a star?

The Eagles only play the Saints once, though.  Ha.

Doh!

QB Eagles

Actually, the Eagles were 1-4 without McNabb and Westbrook last year (counting the Seattle game where Westy was injured on the first posession).

The Eagles were 4-5 with both McNabb and Westbrook.

reese125

exactly, even with Donny Mac and Westbrook, the Eagles still crumble last year. That defense was as close as disgusting as your gonna get compared to years past

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: reese125 on May 15, 2006, 08:43:08 PM
exactly, even with Donny Mac and Westbrook, the Eagles still crumble last year. That defense was as close as disgusting as your gonna get compared to years past

I agree, but McNabb wasn't himself all season.  With a healthy McNabb alone they will be much improved, the improved D should make them a strong contender in the playoffs.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

QB Eagles

If anything less than a 100% McNabb means we are relegated to a losing season, the team has other problems that need to be addressed. Plenty of teams have made the playoffs with a quarterback performing as well as the hobbled McNabb did in the first nine games of last season.

Phanatic

I just don't can't agree with the Giants being anything this year and that is  because of Eli. Maybe I'm just reacting to that fiasco in Carolina last year but talk about big game choking... QB is a rather key position to have a ?.

Skins will have a good D and that keeps games close for them.

Dallas will have a good D with a better offense.

Philly has a good D with a wild card offense that I think will be good. But that is the homer talking...
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

ice grillin you

So...this tool thinks the Eagles are only one game better than last year with a healthy McNabb and Westbrook? 

westbrook staying healthy for a whole year is unlikely at best...and who knows how mcnabb is going to come back from last year...hes teetering on emotional implosion...if he comes out struggles and the eagles start 0-2 who knows if he will be able to handle the tsunami of criticism that will come down on him

and btw every team in the division improved more than the eagles this offseason...so even if the eagles come back 100% healthy and everything goes perfectly the other teams are just as good...which is why all these teams are 10-6 imo right now...with a slight advantage to the skins with their improvements this offseason
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 16, 2006, 08:38:54 AM
and btw every team in the division improved more than the eagles this offseason...so even if the eagles come back 100% healthy and everything goes perfectly the other teams are just as good...which is why all these teams are 10-6 imo right now...with a slight advantage to the skins with their improvements this offseason

You always seem to give the skins the benefit of the doubt and the opposite treatment to the Eagles.  The Eagles added many more players that will help the team this year and beyond.  The skins spent a lot of money but ended up with only one player out of the draft that really has any hope of contributing at all and a handful of free agents, none of which are overly exciting, and a couple of which are simply not good.

Sorry, but the skins didn't make big-time improvements, and they will have major depth problems.

ice grillin you

i didnt say they made big time improvements...i said they improved more than the eagles...andre carter will help the skins just as much if not more than howard will the eagles

you can say they overpaid for the wr's but they will greatly improve the team...their #2 and 3 wr's were the worst in the nfl and now they are are one of the best...thats a HUGE upgrade there...thier offense has the potential to be scary good if brunnel is even average...hes definitely the question mark which is why i put the eagles on basically the same level as the skins assuming mcnabb comes back and plays like hes capable of...but if brunnel proves that hes not done the skins win the division
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous