The Bobby Abreu Tracker Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 03, 2006, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Everyone who follows Phillies baseball knows that there is a large portion of the fanbase who dislike Abreu and say that he is worthless in the clutch situations and a complete bonehead in the field.

Then there is a minority of fans (I am in this group) that say the "haters" are entirely off base with the negativity that surrounds Bobby A and that he isn't as bad as people make him out to be.

We've all pulled out the batting average, home runs, RBI's, SLG%, OPS, OBP and every other stat known to man to help out whichever side of the Abreu fence we're on. And most often the person who is being presented with these facts turns around the presentation of facts and says "well, its hard to track these accurately because the situation of the game (score, inning, runners on base, etc) aren't documented.

Sun_Mo is one who is on the "Abreu is not clutch" side. I am on the opposite side of the debate. We agreed a few months ago and agreed to start a thread at the beginning of the season that will be kept updated each day for what Bobby does. We will document the inning, who is on base, what the score is and any other pertinent factors and post them in this thread to track what Bobby Abreu does throughout the season.

We ask that you not use the thread for a lot of back and forth banter so the posts with the game updates do not become hard to find. We will use the Phillies Season thread to discuss what Bobby did that night/day and this thread to keep track of the numbers. And at the end of the season we will see who is right and who is wrong.

Each AB will be documented. The most important thing is to track the score of the game situations when he gets hits or drives in runs. So no more of the "well he hit a 3R HR in the 8th inning of a 10-2 blowout" stuff.

SEASON STATS UPDATED
Average: .300 (9/30)
Runs: 3
Home Runs: 1
RBI: 7
BB: 4
K: 4
SB: 1

PhillyPhreak54

April 3rd vs. St. Louis - Game #1

1st AB
Score: 1-0 Cards
0 runners on base w/ 2 outs
Pitcher: Chris Carpenter (RH)
Singles to CF

2nd AB
Score: 2-0 Cards
Runner on 2B w/ 2 outs
Pitcher: Carpenter
Lined out to 1B

3rd AB
Score: 13-1 Cards
0 runners on base w/ 2 outs
Pitcher: Carpenter
Singles to LCF
Scored on Utley's double

4th AB
Score: 13-4 Cards
0 runners on base w/ 0 outs
Pitcher: Randy Flores (LH)
Struck out looking

5th AB
Score: 13-5 Cards
0 runners on base w/ 0 outs
Pitcher: Brad Thompson (RH)
Grounded out to 2B

Totals: 2/5 0 HR 0 RBI 1 R 0 BB 1 K

SunMo

i think the best way to analyze this is to take each game he plays and figure out if he had either a negative impact, positive impact, or no impact on the outcome of the game.

for this one, i'd give him a no impact.  although, down 2-0 with a runner on 2nd, he didn't get him in, but he did hit the ball hard, just at somebody, that happens.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed. He had no impact on yesterday's game. The only real shot he had to make a play in the field was on the throw home on a SAC fly and Howard cut it off. And on Edmonds' double he hit the cutouff man and Utley threw home which allowed Edmonds to take 3rd on the throw.

Starting tomorrow I will post impact, no impact or bad impact in the final line.

phattymatty

MDS

jay gibbons wouldve held pujols at 3rd and hit 4 homers today.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PoopyfaceMcGee

He just choked on it with a 3-1 count in the bottom of the 9th.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

SunMo

the good:  knocked in the 1st run of the game

the bad:  should've had the ball in RF, didn't get a hit with 2 outs and man on 2nd, couldn't get on base to start the 9th.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Sun_Mo on April 05, 2006, 10:26:37 PM
the good: knocked in the 1st run of the game

the bad: should've had the ball in RF, didn't get a hit with 2 outs and man on 2nd, couldn't get on base to start the 9th.

I think the 9th inning was crucial.  Anyone who's made the argument that Abreu isn't a "clutch" player got some fuel for their fire after that AB. 

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Rome

I don't mind Abreu not getting the catch.  What I mind is seeing him ease up on the ball rather than diving for it.

$13.5M should buy you more than that guy.

I'm sorry but that's how I feel.  If that makes me a "hater" then so be it.

LBIggle

he didn't even really need to dive for it.  he just needed to not pull up, slide, and put his glove out.

i'm not a bobby basher.. i was one of the few that didn't want him traded until they knew what they were going to do with RF afterwards, but shtein dude.  your definitely not catching the ball when you pull up like that.  at least don't make the catch making a slide for it.

PhillyPhreak54

Hey geniuses...guess what? If he dives for it the run scores anyways. And if he dives for it and misses and it gets by him then you have runners on 2nd and 3rd and the run still scores. In that situation you play it like he did and hold the guy to a single.