Started by ice grillin you, May 01, 2007, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

i wanna know who did that and how long it took them.....amazing
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Amazing as in the person has no life or is in prison/house arrest.

MDS

thats just outrageous

the wire is the gift that keeps on giving
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

I'm watching it for the 2nd time now....about half way through season 4.  The rewatch factor is unbelievable.  There's so many things that were said or that happened the first time through that seemed largely irrelevant and so I dismissed them as such.  Like in the beginning of season 1 when McNulty says that he'd hate to end up on a boat.  I don't even remember him saying that first time around.  It probably seemed so pointless at the time that I didn't commit it to memory.  But when when I started it up the 2nd time, I laughed.  And there's a lot of little moments and events throughout the series that I've picked up on now. 

Also, I didn't like season 2 very much the first time through but this time I thought it was much better.

Season 4 was also a bit slow the first time, especially since McNulty is practically an afterthought.  The show was never about him, but he kind of became the dominant character and things were so focused on him during the first 3 seasons that I had a "McNulty dependency" and when they took him away, the other characters didn't seem to fill the void.  This time though, all of the other characters seem a lot stronger.  Maybe it's because I knew McNulty would eventually go away so I paid more attention to the other characters or something during seasons 1-3.  I dunno, but season 4 is much better the 2nd time through as well.

My opinions on the characters have mostly stayed the same, except Herc.  First time through the series, I just thought he was a bit of a well meaning meat head.  This time though, he's really just overly ambitious, selfish and makes a lot of stupid decisions.     

shorebird

Quote from: Rome on October 26, 2012, 06:15:50 PM
It's bad enough we have a black president.  Now we gonna have a black Bond? What's he gonna ask for instead of a vodka martini... a gin & juice?

AMIRITE?!?

Hahahahaha!

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 17, 2012, 09:57:01 AM
Season 4 was also a bit slow the first time, especially since McNulty is practically an afterthought.  The show was never about him, but he kind of became the dominant character and things were so focused on him during the first 3 seasons that I had a "McNulty dependency" and when they took him away, the other characters didn't seem to fill the void.  This time though, all of the other characters seem a lot stronger.  Maybe it's because I knew McNulty would eventually go away so I paid more attention to the other characters or something during seasons 1-3.  I dunno, but season 4 is much better the 2nd time through as well.     

mcnutty might not crack the top ten best character on the show

shorebird

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 26, 2012, 03:32:19 PM
how mad would bond elders be?

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Idris_Elba_James_Bond_007_Franchise_Right_Move/43049789

For real though, I think you and Rome couldn't be more wrong. If you really know James Bond, as I do, you would think our so called 'elders' would have been more up in arms back in 1973 when Gloria Hendry (Rose Carver) and Roger Moore rolled in the Carribian countryside for Moores Bond debut in Live and Let Die.

Rose was a rouge CIA agent, who really was employed by "Mr. Big", (Yaphet Kotto) the villain, who has been in a shteinload of movies, including one of my favorites, the original Alien. Hendry played a pretty good part until Mr. Big, or Kananga, has his men kill her for sleeping with Bond. I thought it was cool the way Mr. Big and Kananga ended up being the same person. I saw it on the big screen and I have to admit, back in '73' seeing a white man and a black woman making out on screen was a first for me, although it did nothing to stop the publics want for anything Bond. The Bond brand was really big in the 70's with the movies breaking ground in effects and stunts. The speed boat jump made the '73' Guinness Book of World Records at 110'. It was a great movie for stunts and action, but as far as Bond goes I wasn't much of a Roger Moore fan. It would have been hard for any actor to fill Sean Connery's shoes. When Live and Let Die came out, producers started making the movies nothing like the books, and Bond started losing some of his mystic for fans of the Ian Fleming books. The first movies of the sixties with Connery had it, the movies of the 70's and 80's didn't. Imo, the last few movies are just getting back to it. Daniel Craig is a great bond and the last two movies were some of the best I've seen since the beginning. As for a black Bond, as long as it's it's not Jamie Farr. Please, not him.

Want to know what Hendry and others think see it here. The two guys doing Travolta and Jackson from Pulp Fiction are funny.*edit*and how Elba might do.
http://www.youtube.com/v/0GUuN6KJTTU&feature=player_embedded

My opinion, Idris Elba would be perfect. He was born in the UK so he should have the accent, and he defiantly has the screen presence.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 17, 2012, 12:25:00 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 17, 2012, 09:57:01 AM

mcnutty might not crack the top ten best character on the show

Now that I've seen the entire series, yeah, I'd probably still have him around 10, but could certainly see a case for others to be in there over him.  But watching the show the first time he was heavily featured.  He was drunk, he was loud, he was pissing everyone off.  That element was taken away in season 4 and I wasn't ready for that.  Thought his character was great 1-3, didn't like him in season 4 all sober and domesticated and faking deaths and creating a serial killer in season 5 was over the top, even for McNulty. 

Diomedes

Despite being the lead character -- the entire show does open and close with McNulty -- he's an icehole.  At the very least, he's hard to like.  He's one of the least sympathetic characters in the whole show. 

It's interesting in a way to have the hero be such an insufferable prick to be around.  The kind of guy who gets you into serious shtein over and over again and expects his smile to bail him out, nevermind what happens to you.  He's a well made character, but the character is no where near my favorites.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

Quote from: Diomedes on November 17, 2012, 04:36:04 PM

The kind of guy who gets you into serious shtein over and over again and expects his smile to bail him out, nevermind what happens to you. 

You just described Phatty, except he's so farging lovable.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

I don't think I could hang with phatty.  Whenever I try to run with the wild pack, I get bit.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

I don't think McNutty is hard to like at all, but isn't very likable either....if that makes sense.  He has his moments where he's an insufferable prick, but in the long run he's obsessed with solving crimes.  Whether or not he's doing it to stroke his ego, or to piss off his boss(es), or for the sake of simply solving a crime (a little of all 3, IMO), he's like a farging bloodhound once he picks up a scent.  If it were network tv or a movie, he'd be the rebel cop who everyone around him hates and everyone watching loves. I thought it was great how Simon could take the essential elements of Hollywood's rebel cop (drunk, insubordinate, doesnt play by the rules) and make him seem a lot less heroic and more of an icehole.

My favorite character on the show was Bubbles. Not the "sexy" pick, I know, but I think that he was the most well acted character on the show and his story throughout the entire series seemed the most realistic.  Struggles with addiction, struggles with sobriety, surviving on the streets, trying to regain the trust of his sister....his story was great.  When Landsman walked back in the interview room to find Bubbles hanging from the ceiling after Sherrod died was one of the most powerful scenes in the series, IMO.

1 question about the show...

Who the hell was the fat chick who simply appeared in the Major Crimes Unit and then just disappeared?  I think her name was Carolyn and the only notable thing she did was clip coupons and monitor the wire a few times. What was the point of her existence?  Just a filler to take up space in a few scenes?  One minute she doesn't exist, the next minute she's in the MCU, and then she doesn't exist anymore.

ice grillin you

yeah mcnutty is awesome and super likeable....him being down the list of best characters recognizes how awesome the show is not how terrible mcnutty is

Sgt PSN

You didn't answer my question, dook.

ice grillin you

support staff....nothing less nothing more