The Wire

Started by ice grillin you, May 01, 2007, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

I'll let you know when he makes a hip hop album
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i dont listen to new hip-hop....lemme know when he makes a hip-hop album in 1993
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

ice grillin you

this is so awesome....sick video montage of all 5 wire seasons backed by dope ass rhymes from madd skillz

im sure no one is but if by chance you still plan on ever watching this show then DO NOT watch this video as they basically reveal everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExR3mpv6_k

Diomedes

I finished season five two nights ago.

One question I have:  Why do they bother to take the time to show Rawls at the gay bar (season three or four, I forget which), and then never develop that story line at all?

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on January 09, 2009, 05:03:47 PM
I finished season five two nights ago.

One question I have:  Why do they bother to take the time to show Rawls at the gay bar (season three or four, I forget which), and then never develop that story line at all?

Not sure, but he was such a fleshpop that showing him in some trashy gay bar was an easy way to feel justification over hating his character from a fans perspective.

Diomedes

I honestly didn't hate any character through the whole series.  I can't even say I disliked any of them.  They just were.  Rawls for example made me laugh just about every time he opened his acidic mouth.  He was great as the ballbuster, I enjoyed just about every scene he was in.

ice grillin you

imo for two reasons....to break stereotypes and a little bit of irony

rawls is the nastiest hardest commanding officer on the show and by showing that he is gay it breaks the all gays are feminine stereotype

and if you notice rawls thruout the show used lots of gay references when berating subordinates

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on January 09, 2009, 05:09:19 PM
I honestly didn't hate any character through the whole series.  I can't even say I disliked any of them.  They just were.  Rawls for example made me laugh just about every time he opened his acidic mouth.  He was great as the ballbuster, I enjoyed just about every scene he was in.

totally agree...its what made the wire the GOAT...the line btwn who was good and who was bad was very thin and as a viewer you found yourself crossing the line all the time and rooting for the bad guys and hating the good guys...rawls was one of my favorite characters...some of the best scenes in the whole show is him going off on mcnulty...shtein it started in season 1 ep 1 when he got on him for going to phelan

also i can off the top of my head recall what episode it was but there one scene in a bathroom in the homocide office where they show some grafitti on the wall and it says "rawls sucks cock" and i think its mcnulty who just starts laughing...so you kinda know everyone else kinda knows

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 09, 2009, 05:10:12 PM
imo for two reasons....to break stereotypes and a little bit of irony

rawls is the nastiest hardest commanding officer on the show and by showing that he is gay it breaks the all gays are feminine stereotype

and if you notice rawls thruout the show used lots of gay references when berating subordinates

I get all that, but it came off to me like it was a story line that got cut out of later episodes.  I was fully expecting Carcetti's white guy assistant--I never got his name--to tell Rawls that his secret would be outed if he did not agree to keep quiet about the serial killer sham.  Instead, he offered him the head of the State Police job when/if Carcetti gets elected governor.

MDS

basically all of that

and to revisit the gay thing would be cheap and television like. they already did the whole gay discussion with kima and omar, would have just re-hashed the same shtein if everyone knew rawls was a flamer.

but on top of that john doman was in the top 3 for actors for that show. his "this isnt on you" speech to mcnulty in season one was unreal.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 09, 2009, 05:14:37 PMalso i can off the top of my head recall what episode it was but there one scene in a bathroom in the homocide office where they show some grafitti on the wall and it says "rawls sucks cock" and i think its mcnulty who just starts laughing...so you kinda know everyone else kinda knows

I remember that too.  But I find it hard to believe that the Deputy Ops could be gay...no way in real life a homo makes it that high in such a machismo obsessed culture, regardless how much of a hardass he is.

ice grillin you

a signature of simons storytelling during the wire was to abruptly stop...not finish...or in the case of rawls sexuality not even starting story lines...that way its more real life like and like mds said less like a cliched tv show...sometimes things just are and dont need to be spoken on or overly explained